Author Topic: Fireman for Railways  (Read 1142 times)

Offline jennirosa

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Fireman for Railways
« on: Monday 29 August 05 00:19 BST (UK) »
 Can someone from Rootschat help me find out if my Ancestor James Henry Bond was a Fireman with the Railways?       ???

On Census is states he is a Fireman.  But He's not a Fireman in the York Fire Brigade!

James Henry Bond was Born in York 1860 and on the 1881 Census he was living with his parents 17 Little Shambles, York and his occupation was a Fireman!

He cannot be found on the 1901 Census in York?  Where could he have gone?
I can't find a death for him in York between 1881 and 1901 either
Any ideas rootschatters?     ???   
Bond - Busby -  Spencer (In York  and Eathorpe/Wappenbury  and London    Cooper - Laister  In Yorkshire and Derby  Case  Chant - Gardiner - Kay - Small - Bathersby(Battersby) - Suey  Bishopstone Ireland Australia and China Chittenden - Head - Coombes-   England and Australia

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fireman for Railways
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 August 05 00:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenni

Looking at the 1881 census entry, I would say it is more than likely that he was a railway fireman - his younger brother being an engine cleaner and fireman being another step up the ladder.

If he was your ancestor, when/where does he next turn up as he appears to be unmarried in 1881 or was he not a direct ancestor?

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennirosa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 August 05 00:40 BST (UK) »
 :)  Hi Casalguidi!

James Henry Bond was my Grandfathers Brother. James was the eldest son of Joseph Bond and Lucy (Busby) Bond.
He was never mentioned by older family members. Only one of his sisters who stayed in the U.K. kept in touch with family in Australia! )Lucy Bond jnr. married name Spencer.
He is on the 1871 and 1881 Census that I can find.
Maybe he went off on his own somewhere after 1881. Possibly with work?
That is all I know about this Ancestor of mine!   ::)
This family of mine are getting harder to find by the minute!!

Cheers,
Jenni

Jennirosa
Bond - Busby -  Spencer (In York  and Eathorpe/Wappenbury  and London    Cooper - Laister  In Yorkshire and Derby  Case  Chant - Gardiner - Kay - Small - Bathersby(Battersby) - Suey  Bishopstone Ireland Australia and China Chittenden - Head - Coombes-   England and Australia

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 August 05 01:35 BST (UK) »
Hi
The next step up the ladder was every little boy's dream - Engine Driver.  Maybe he was moved to a busier line like Newcastle.  I think you should look at bigger towns which had a railway.  For instance Hull further down the line had expanded its fishing trade and was also a staging post for millions of immigrants from the British Kingdom of Hannover escaping from Bismark wanting to travel by train across land. 
Cheers,
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline jennirosa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 August 05 08:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rena!  ;)

I'll try Hull and Newcastle lookups to see if someone can find him!

Thanks,
Jennirosa

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 August 05 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenni

The indexes for these later census years are national ones so there is no need to post again ;)

I have noticed that he is listed as Henry in 1871 but have had no luck finding him in 1891 or 1901 nationally as either Henry or James.  Unless he is hiding under another name/birthplace somewhere, perhaps he died or even emigrated?

Have you searched the full BMD indexes http://www.1837online.com for a marriage/death?

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk