Author Topic: Blackridge or Blackrigg, New Monkland  (Read 1143 times)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blackridge or Blackrigg, New Monkland
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 October 22 20:05 BST (UK) »
I noticed that by 1930, the valuation rolls suggest that Blackrigg was now occupied by Thomas Chalmers and it states "Land Part Blackrigg Wester Moffat"

Alexander Chalmers , 1821-c1895, had children (one of which I descend from) but birth registrations for his children aren't yet found. He had a bunch of young kids living with him in 1871 census, an 8 year old called Thomas. Perhaps the above Thomas is that kid (aged in his 70s), or is a descendant somehow.

What was the name of his wife?

What are names and years of birth for his children?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 October 22 20:42 BST (UK) »
Family of Alexander Chalmers and Ann Jack, married 6 July 1846
Robert, born 1846/1847, died 1910
Catherine, 1847/1848, died 1931 in Baldernock
Janet, 1849/1850, died 1876
Ann, 1852/1853, died 1928 in New Monkland
James Jack, 20 April 1855, died 1892 in New Monkland
Alexander, 13 December 1857, died 1893
Margaret and William (twins) 14 May 1860
Thomas 19 June 1862
Marion, 9 September 1864, died 1930 in Denny and Dunipace
Mary, 28 October 1867, died 1937 in Shettleston
all in the parish of Shotts unless otherwise indicated
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Annbee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 October 22 05:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian, especially for the time you've put in, and the details you've uncovered are extremely helpful in pinpointing this family. The census details you've transcribed are great for working out who's who. I've since purchased Ann (nee JACK) Chalmers death certificate and it's lead me to the next generation which I didn't have before.

As to Blackridge Farm (the Shotts one) I found a death snippet in BNA and it seems Thomas Chalmers, born 1862, was not at the farm but at his daughter's place when he died in 1947. He'd been "30 years a sup..." - at which point the snippet ran out! Next time I subscribe to BNA I will check to see what he got up to in his lifetime.

So - thank you!
Warwickshire: BEACH/BACHE, COX Gloucestershire: HAIL, VOYCE, TURNER, WINCHCOMBE, PREEN, Worcestershire: WEBB, CHARE, TYLER, Fife: FOWLER, JOHNSTONE, MELVILLE, Lanarkshire/Dunbartonshire: GRAHAM, CHALMERS, LANG, BISHOP, Sweden/Hamburg/London/Birmingham: HOKANSON

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 October 22 09:41 BST (UK) »
Where did Thomas die and what was his occupation?

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 October 22 15:57 BST (UK) »
Is this him in 1930?

CHALMERS
THOMAS
Tenant
FARM COWBRAE BY AIRDRIE
NEW MONKLAND

Offline Annbee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 October 22 03:44 BST (UK) »
Where did Thomas die and what was his occupation?

Sancti, I do not know much about Thomas Chalmers, mainly that he was the son of my X grandfather Alexander Chalmers and was born 1862. (from Scotlands People indexes) Have you looked on censuses for him?

Alexander left a will, which I have, but it only mentions the trustee names in his will (Robert his eldest son, Ann Jack his widow and William his brother) and also my great grandmother Catherine gained a mention because he gave her 50 pounds when she married, so that was to come out any inheritance. There was only 171 pounds to disperse; they were tenant farmers, probably of dairy.

As to the address and occupation, you could look up the article on British News Archive (you pay to read the whole article). This is the snippet you can see for free:
Fifeshire Advertiser - Sat 8 March 1947 "...A well known townsman, Mr Thomas Chalmers, died at the residence of his daughter Mrs Beveridge, 1 Rossend Path, on Tuseday night. Mr Chalmers had been indifferent health for some time. For 30 Years he was employed sup..." There were two Thomas Chalmers dying in 1947 in Fife, so this may not be the right one. You would be looking for an 84 year old Thomas dying in 1947. You would need to verify that Thomas Chalmers DID marry: there were quite a few singles in the Chalmers family.

CHALMERS THOMAS Tenant FARM COWBRAE BY AIRDRIE NEW MONKLAND 1930
If there was a Thomas at Blackridge in 1930 and this Thomas at Airdie, you'd think two separate farmers. But who knows.

The Thomas Chalmers from Alexander's family possibly inherited the tenancy at Blackridge Farm. Alexander died in 1895. Censuses 1901-1921 might inform you about that. The 1939 register might help pinpoint the man/men at a later time.

I say all this assuming that you have an interest in this Thomas Chalmers? I am not so interested myself. His sister is my direct ancestor. 

Warwickshire: BEACH/BACHE, COX Gloucestershire: HAIL, VOYCE, TURNER, WINCHCOMBE, PREEN, Worcestershire: WEBB, CHARE, TYLER, Fife: FOWLER, JOHNSTONE, MELVILLE, Lanarkshire/Dunbartonshire: GRAHAM, CHALMERS, LANG, BISHOP, Sweden/Hamburg/London/Birmingham: HOKANSON

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 October 22 09:32 BST (UK) »
I don't think the newspaper report is related to the Thomas Chalmers at New Monkland

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 October 22 09:47 BST (UK) »
Thomas Chalmers, retired farmer, widower of (1st) Margaret Fleming (2nd) Jane Paterson, died 10 May 1947, 16 Forge Road, Moffat Mills, New Monkland, aged 84. Parents Alexander Chalmers, farmer, and Ann Jack, both deceased. CoD chronic bronchitis, cardiovascular degereneration. Informant Robert Chalmers, son.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 October 22 09:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian for the confirmation