Author Topic: Fitzgerald Newmarket 22 children Cork, Kerry Missouri  (Read 30123 times)

Offline nismyname

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fitzgerald Newmarket 22 children Cork, Kerry Missouri
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 March 21 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, have you got any idea on the other children born as well as David Murphy.

Are you able to find where Catherine and Timothy were in both the 1901 and 1911 census as neither were present at the family home.

Thank you again

Offline nismyname

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 15 March 21 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your help today. I have found John Murphy who was born into a Kanturk workhouse 23/05/83 DOB. Would the workhouse have records? His mother was Johanna Murphy. I can’t find anything on her but I don’t think she married if anyone can look into this. What ages/ how long would people stay in workhouses?

Does anyone know how I can work out the rest of the family tree (the 22 children) and if I can access American records?

Thank you all

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 15 March 21 20:10 GMT (UK) »
*updated births*

John 10 March 1900
Jeremiah 20 Jan 1904
David have not found but previously thought around 1905
Margaret 28 March 1906

David was probably born c.1903, taking into account his age and that he was placed between John and Jeremiah on 1911 census, and that your list of birth years has a gap of 4 years between John, March 1900 and Jeremiah, Jan. 1904.
Cowban

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 15 March 21 20:18 GMT (UK) »
David was probably born c.1903, taking into account his age and that he was placed between John and Jeremiah on 1911 census, and that your list of birth years has a gap of 4 years between John, March 1900 and Jeremiah, Jan. 1904.

Good spot, Maiden Stone  :)

David FITZGERALD born 27th September 1902
Mother's Birth Surname: transcribed LAW
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1902/01884/1732832.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 15 March 21 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your help today. I have found John Murphy who was born into a Kanturk workhouse 23/05/83 DOB. Would the workhouse have records? His mother was Johanna Murphy. I can’t find anything on her but I don’t think she married if anyone can look into this. What ages/ how long would people stay in workhouses?

Does anyone know how I can work out the rest of the family tree (the 22 children) and if I can access American records?

Thank you all

A few suggestions as you are new to Irish family history research:

A useful introduction is a website Irish Genealogy Toolkit.
 http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com

Look at the  Resources section of RootsChat Ireland Board.

When doing family history research, go slowly, backwards, 1 step at a time. Double and triple check each piece of information about each person in that step before trying to go back another generation or onto another branch. Good advice is to concentrate on 1 line, go back as far as you can on that line. When you get stuck on that line or want a change, start on another line. Don't try to do too much at once.

The advice in the previous paragraph is also appropriate to RootsChat.

In answer your new questions:
There is a website about workhouses by Peter Higginbottom. Pages for each workhouse has links to record sources. If records exist they may be in national or local archives.
Regarding information about lives of the other 21 children and emigration, look at the advice on Irish Genealogy Toolkit. It has several pages on emigration, with sources. Researching 22 children is a big undertaking.

If you want help with John Murphy and workhouses, start a new topic on the Cork board. Keep this thread to the topic of the Fitzgerald family.

Hope this helps.

Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 15 March 21 21:13 GMT (UK) »

Good spot, Maiden Stone  :)

David FITZGERALD born 27th September 1902
Mother's Birth Surname: transcribed LAW
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1902/01884/1732832.pdf

I added 3 pieces of evidence together. I reasoned that order of children on a census was usually correct even if ages were wrong, although some families listed boys before girls.
Did you offer an amendment to the transcription? 
Cowban

Offline nismyname

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 15 March 21 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for finding David’s birth certificate Maiden Stone and Kiltaglassan.

Thank you to Maiden Stone for the suggestions as well re John Murphy, I will be looking into to the workhouse and the other bits you mentioned.

In the 1911 census, David and Margaret have been married for 17 years, it states there has been 13 children born and 13 children alive. They married in 1895, I only have a record of 11 children in this time frame. Can anyone help identify the 2 other children I’m missing, this may mean there was 24 children in total not 22.

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qey/

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Just for completeness these are two that are not showing on the 1911 census that we know about
Catherine born 2nd March 1895. She died in Wales in 1974
Timothy born 1896- died in Missouri USA 1931
Plus 9 on the census
=11

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 01:00 GMT (UK) »