Author Topic: Fitzgerald Newmarket 22 children Cork, Kerry Missouri  (Read 30024 times)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Fitzgerald Newmarket 22 children Cork, Kerry Missouri
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Did you offer an amendment to the transcription?

Yep, an amendment in the name of LANE sent in  ;D
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline nismyname

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Just for completeness these are two that are not showing on the 1911 census that we know about
Catherine
Timothy
Plus 9 on the census
=11

Yep the 2 oldest are not in the house in either census. Do you think the parents made a mistake with writing 13 children born, 13 alive in the 1911 census? It just seems unlikely that they’d get the amount of children they had wrong as I can’t find birth certificates for any other children unless anyone else can have a look?

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 12:10 GMT (UK) »

In view of the Murphy connection this might be a possibility for Catherine.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Cork_No__5_Urban__part_of_/Cove_Street/397800/

Poss Catherine...age not a good match
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Cork_No__4/Rowlands_Lane/392953/

There are other reasons why the Rowlands Lane census is unlikely to be the Catherine we seek. Birthplace was Cork City. She was a scholar aged 14. I doubt that the eldest daughter of a tailor in a large family would still have been at school aged 14. 
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if you have these birth registrations.
Date of birth 20th April 1907 Denis; father's occupation tailor; date of registration 16th July
18th Oct 1908 Mary; occupation farmer
20th Feb. 1916 Daniel; father's occupation farmer
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 14:24 GMT (UK) »
David's occupation was tailor at birth registration of Denis 1907. His occupation was  farmer at birth registrations of Mary 1908, Bridget 1911, Daniel 1916 and Cornelius 1917. He was tailor again for Patrick 1919.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 14:46 GMT (UK) »
I looked for birth registrations in Kanturk district for Fitzgerald surname and Lane mother's maiden surname. 18 results 1885-1920. Another search for Fitzgerald births with Law mother's maiden surname found 4 more. (Lane has been transcribed as Law on some registrations.)

There were 5 marriages with a Fitzgerald groom and Lane bride in that period.
 Daniel Fitzgerald (farmer) & Mary Lane, marriage registered in Kanturk 1897, had some children with same names and similar ages to children of David & Margaret (John, Norah, Mary, Hannah, Katie, Ellen, Julia). They seem to be the family at House 6 Croanrea, Clonfert West on 1911 census.   
Cowban

Offline nismyname

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 18:22 GMT (UK) »

Are you able to provide links or details of those transcribed as law? Do you think they are related to David and Margaret as in they’re children or is it another family or same name?

Offline nismyname

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 18:37 GMT (UK) »
I looked for birth registrations in Kanturk district for Fitzgerald surname and Lane mother's maiden surname. 18 results 1885-1920.

Do we know why the parents stated there was 13 children in the 1911 census? My record is 11 children

Does my record of children born 1885-1920 match yours? Would this answer my above question as to who the 2 children I do not have are

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 20:50 GMT (UK) »

Are you able to provide links or details of those transcribed as law? Do you think they are related to David and Margaret as in they’re children or is it another family or same name?

They are on Irish Genealogy https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
I found them by selecting "More search options" below the basic search form. I put surname Fitzgerald, ticked birth, put other surname Law and a range of years. I did 2 searches for Fitzgerald births, 1 with mother's maiden surname Lane and 1 with mother's surname Law. Total 18 birth registrations with mother's surname Lane and 4 with Law, total 22 in Kanturk district. There were more in other districts, Tralee was one I remember.
I didn't have time to look at each registration individually. Handwriting on those I viewed wasn't good, names and places were unclear, hence transcription errors for mother's maiden surname Lane/Law. David/Daniel wasn't always clear either. Daniel was Daniel W on some registrations.
I have no idea whether any of the parents were related. 
Cowban