Author Topic: Peter Heely  (Read 3274 times)

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter Heely
« on: Tuesday 16 March 21 05:44 GMT (UK) »
Afternoon all, hope you are safe and keeping well. :) I am having a hard time to connect a Peter Heely the name varies from the Quaker Records, can't find his marriage or baptism but he had a daughter Joane Heeley who later married a Thomas pearce (Grocer) on the 5/2/1670 Bristol Peter was a widower when Joane was married. :-[ I have searched and downloaded all records from the Bristol Somerset Quaker Records, they are listed as going back to the 1500 or more but somehow their records start at 1660 onwards. :-\ Any advice is always greatly appreciated. :-[
Janet :-[

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Heely
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Just by Googling....

On the net

www.bristol.ac.uk

Minute Book of the Men's Meeting of the Society of Friends in...
the Society of Friends in Bristol, running from 1667 to 1686, is undertaken...  in any meeting is normally the minute books of the Men's meeting, etc et

.... just reading through very quickly - many many pages.

the 24th of the 2nd month (April) 1676

27th of 2nd month.  Memorandum.  The paper was dillivered to Joan Heely & Eliz. Bathoe who were desired to communicate it as above desired.

further down

HILEY John (d. 1680) whittaker; of Broad Wier, Peter's p'; Elizabeth; 5 s. 2 dau 1668-78

HILEY, Peter (d. 1675) Whittaker; of Broad Weir, Peter's p

etc etc

Joan HILEY lived at the Broad Weir up to 1681; she supported the proposals for separate women's meetings for discipline 1671.

----

Seems this could help you.

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Good Evening Capetown thanks so much for your help I will have a look and keep searching. :)

Regards,
Janet :)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Just reading this book...

HILEY, Peter (d. 1675), Whittaker; of Broad Weir, Peter's s.; m. Joan YEAMANS (sufferer 1664, 1682; d. 1687, Castle Precincts); dau. Rachel (b.1662( dau. Joan (m. Thomas PEARCE, 1670) churchwarden at Peter's church, 1654; his apprentice, John Woring spoke to the minister at Philip's church, 1654; George Fox at the house, 1662, 1678 Common Councillor, 1668.

So looks like help for you.

I did try the search button - but it doesn't call up every Peter or Hiley - just have to read through,

In this book WHITTAKER occupation is under Mechanic

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Jan

The Meetings Book states, Peter HILEY - died in 1675

On Ancestry

England & Wales, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills

Name: Petrus HILEY (Peter Hiley)

residence: Bristol

Probate  Date: 3 October 1675

Death year: abt 1675

I've have a quick lookat the Will and his occupation is a whittawer

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 08:37 GMT (UK) »

Bristol Quaker Merchants - SAS Open HJournals

Society of Merchant Venturers of the City of Bristol...... Bristol Quaker Merchants

Page 82

Haggatt, Peter Hiley, Francis Rogers and John Speed, who at one time of other were closely connected, who make their appearance in the list of members printed in this new volume from the Book of Charters.

---

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Bristol History - bumsteadhistory

.....  The indenture mentions one Peter Hiley and on checking the wills in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury probate records, there is one for a Peter Hiley of Bristol, whitetawer who died in 1675.   A whitetawer (modern spelling Whittaker) was a person who manufactured of dealt in "white" leather, using tawing rather than tanning, which involved curing the skin in various substances which produced a lighter, more flexible form of leather.  It also came to be used of one who produced harness leather and saddlery.

Peter Hiley was a wealthy man, for he bequeathed four messuages in Merchant Street, as well a property in Poole, Dorset and his own house on the Weare (modern Broad Weir).

(His Will on the net is difficult to read, does mention his Wife Joan) - but the above article has transcribed part of his will which lists his children (although Joan who married Thomas PEARCE isn't listed) but does say considering he was a wealthy man, he only gave small cash bequests (of either £50 or 40 shillings) to his remaining children i.e. Eldest Son, John: unmarried daughter Rachel - money to a Grandson, married daughters, Elizabeth SKINNER, Ellinor WILKES and Anne HAWKBRIDGE.

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Evening Capetown thanks so much for your help it must be great to be able to read all these records, would the books be available to purchase. :-[ I have printed it out so that I can search tomorrow.

Regards,
Janet :-[

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Jan

I am reading these books/articles off the 'net' - not from the actual books - so free reading.