Author Topic: Peter Heely  (Read 3280 times)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Heely
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 21 March 21 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Had a quick check on National Archives for Hiley Dorset.  There are hits including the Will of Ellenor Hiley Widow of Poole Dorset 1639 Prerogative Court of Canterbury so will be on Ancestry.  Most hits for Poole the surname was spelt Hiley.

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 22 March 21 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Afternoon Capetown on a rainy day, :-\ I have been printing most of the day the records of Joane Yeomans born 29/5/1623 her parents are now John Yeomans aged 51 and her mother Joane Jones 51 she married Peter Hiley in 1633. :-[ I also have downloaded Joane Yeamans marriage to Peter Hiley (1598) in 1640 Bristol Gloucestershire her parents William Hiley aged 48 and mother Ellenor Haviland aged 38 Bristol Gloucestershire :-\ This is all on Ancestry I have spent so much time with this family running out of printing paper. :-\  I need a rest from this, today I have saved records right back to Haviland ancestors, time for dinner again. :-X
Regards,
Janet :-[

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 22 March 21 07:45 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Jan...

Just trying to read: Ellenor HILEY - of Poole, Will on Ancestry dated 1639.

First page at the bottom, mentions her Son, Peter Hiley and Joan - the now said Wife and any children my Son Peter now ...... has.

You mention the couple's marriage in 1633 and then says 1640

? Where did you find the Marriage

---

so far,

Baptism at St James, Bristol

21 July 1636 - Eleanor, daughter of Peter HILLEY

2 October 1639 - Anne HILLEY - father: Peter

6 October 1647 - John HILLEY - father: Peter

16 March - Peter HILLEY - father: Peter

William HILEY's Will 25 October 1611 - leaves his houses in Bristol to his Son Peter

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 22 March 21 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Evening Capetown thanks for your reply I think that the posts on Ancestry are different regarding who Joane Yeamans parents really are for e.g. one has her down as marrying Peter Hiley in 1640 Bristol Peter Hiley parents William and Ellenor Hiley. Next Ancestry Entry Joane Yeamans born 29/5/1623 Bristol her Father John and her mother Joane Yeomans, marrying William Hiley in 1633 the name of Yeamans and Yeomans spelt differently. Entry for Peter Hiley jnr. Parents Peter and Joane Yeamans, his parents William Hiley and Ellenor Haviland. :-[ The pronunciation and spelling of the names is very hard, reading your entries down below, Peter Hiley bap, 16/3/1642, somehow Joan Hiley's baptism is missing she married Thomas Pearce, all I have is the year 1649 :-[

Regards,
Janet :-\

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 22 March 21 12:59 GMT (UK) »
John HILEY - baptised 6 October 1647 - in Bristol...

In previous reply

Counterpart of assignment of lease etc. 1647

states: Peter HILEY of Bristol, whitetawer of the Manor of Chellworth, Wiltshire etc. etc.

Possibly - Peter and Joan - where living in Wiltshire - and Joan was baptised there - or he'd became a Quaker by then.

The Will of Johannis Elbridge - 10 October 1646, Saint Peter's Bristol is on Ancestry - Prerogative Court of Cantebury Wills - (hard to read).

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 22 March 21 13:28 GMT (UK) »

core.ac.uk

Quaker - CORE

1670 the Men's Meeting began to insist upon the attendance of both parties to the marriages, when they brought their proposals.  Thomas PEARCE attended on 7th February 1670, to propose his intention of marriage with Joan, daughter of Peter Hiley, and he was asked to be present at the next meeting "with his freind Joan & her mother" .  In the folloiwng April a firm rule was laid down.

Upon consideration of some inconvenience in making Certificate of friends marriages, It is ordered yet for tyme to come both the persons concerend do present themselves to the meeting at the first signifying of such their intentions.

---

Ancestry, England & Wales, Quaker Birth, Marriage and Death Register 1578-1837

Meeting: Monthly meeting of Bristol - 20 February 1669.

Is their statement - etc.  signed by  Thomas & Joan

Can see the names: Peter HILEY, John HILEY, Peter HILEY Jnr - and various other Quakers.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 22 March 21 16:31 GMT (UK) »
?  re ? Rachel Hiley

Ancestry: Somerset, England C of E Marriages

Bath St Michael

December 23 : William BURGIS and Rachel HILEY were married 1710 - both of Bristol.

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 22 March 21 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Capetown, thanks for your help again, just going over the children that Peter and Joane Hiley had together, found a Marie born 1648 Bristol, Peter born 1642 Bristol, Elizabeth born 1649 no mention of Joane but another entry mentioned she was a twin to Elizabeth 1649-1675 somehow the years are wrong, no mention of a Ann 2/10/1639 in my search. :-[ Just finished setting my clock on the computer it showed 2009. :o I wish other researches post the correct records some are all over the place and not in order. Just printed out your details I keep them separate from others so I can read them. Still raining have to go out. :-\

Regards,
Janet :-[

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Googling:

History of Quakers in Bristol.

'Quakerism in Bristol probably had its beginning in the decade 1650-1660.  In October 1652 two itinerant Quaker preachers were imprisoned by the Common Council and on 18 December 1654, the apprentices of Bristol attacked the shops of Quaker tradesmen, many of whom lived on Bristol Bridge.

---

Hence the notes re : sufferings

-----

There is a book on line  - which by Googling....

Early Bristol Quakerism - WordPress.com

The Society of Friends in the City 1654-1700

by : Russel Mortimer
Issued by the Bristol Branch of the Historical Association The University of Bristol, 1967.

It has a print of the Quakers marriage of William PENN to Hannah CALLOWHILL - (Thomas CALLOWHILL is one of the signature at the marriage of Joan HILEY to Thomas PEARCE)

On one page....

The Meeting Houses....

When Friends first came to Bristol large meetings were held out of door, but Friends also met in small groups at each other's houses.... goes on to say

It was decided that it should be built on Dennis Hollister's ground in the Friars, and that a committe of six Bristol Friends.

Wm TAYLOR died 1701
Wm Yeomans 1639-74  ***
Thos Gouldney
Thos Bisse
Richard March
Jno Love

doe contract, build and furnish the said meeting house at the publick costs of friends -   1670 when the building was completed - it was siezed by the Authorities etc.

William YEOMANS - was christened in Bristol 10 April 1639 - parents: Robert & Anne

(Robert mentioned as a Son of Blanche YEOMANS in her Will)...
His Will is on Ancestry  - Death 1675 - residence: Bristol.  Reading his Will - he is a Merchant and lives in London and his burial is listed - 16 March 1674, Checquer Alley, England (London)

---

Joan could possibly been christened in a private home -
Some Gloucestershire records, have non-conformists christened in their homes.