Author Topic: Census ‘Occupation’ Lookup please  (Read 6677 times)

Offline Jayhen6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Census ‘Occupation’ Lookup please
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 March 21 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ruskin, so different back then.. hardly recognisable now. All built up and wall to wall cars!..
Daubney's of Lincoln:-:Fox's of Ringley:-:Norris's of Chorley:-:Tong's of Bolton:-:Chadwick's of Leeds

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 March 21 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Manchester & Lancashire Family History Society - Bolton branch
https://www.mlfhs.uk/bolton
It's on Facebook. If you put a post on there you may get some local recolections.

Moorfield Grove is in the Tonge area, behind Tonge Moor Road. There are some memories online about living in Tonge but they may be 20thC. 
Cowban

Offline Jayhen6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 March 21 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks,

Regards

John
Daubney's of Lincoln:-:Fox's of Ringley:-:Norris's of Chorley:-:Tong's of Bolton:-:Chadwick's of Leeds

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 March 21 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello again..

I’m trying to establish what type of working people lived in ‘Moorfield Grove, Bolton’ and hoping this can be extracted from the Census records of 1901 & 1911. Im interested in no 40. As I have tried for 38 on a previous request without success. It’s part of a social history project I’m researching. Many thanks in advance.
Kind regards
John

Every village and town has houses built for the trades and the wages paid specific to the area.  Tonge had cotton mills and many coal mines.  I cannot find any mention of who owned the houses, whether there was one owner or the developer sold off the houses to private buyers.

I think you might have a better response from this request being on the Lancashire, England board.   Alternatively try looking in the Historiucal Directories website for the Bolton, Lancashire Directory.

I'm from a seaport in Yorkshire.  In 1901 and 1911 my grandparents lived in a similar type of house, locally called a "sham four" (wo up, two down).  My grandfather was an area supervisor for an insurance company and currently his old house is valued about £20K more than an equivalent in Moorfield Grove.   In 1938 some of my family each bought a starter home on a new estate. They each had a small front garden but a much larger back garden. The price for each was £350.

Best Wishes,
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 March 21 23:10 GMT (UK) »
John - you might have missed my links to No 39 and No 41 in the censuses that you asked about:

This is No 39 in 1901

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9V8-SGJ

and the next census - No 41

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWYY-BC1

Occupations are given by clicking on each individual

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Jayhen6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 March 21 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much for your very helpful assistance.
Jayhen