Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 17th March  (Read 2056 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 17th March
« on: Thursday 18 March 21 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Another bright day although not as sunny. My prescription was delivered and my Tesco delivery arrived half an hour early, was pleased, all sorted out early.
Had some lunch then called round at a friend's house with a birthday card. Had a doorstep chat for quite a while but it was colder than I thought so I had to get myself off home.

Had a cup of tea and warmed up at home then went for a walk, the field is really soggy again but some boys were playing football in the middle of it. A number of trees at the edge of the woods and along the walkways are covered in white blossom. Very pretty but unfortunately I think that's what gets me coughing more every year in March.

Did some ironing and tidying up while it was still nice and light. Usual evening. Not a particularly eventful day but pleasant.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 17th March
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 March 21 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Nothing worth relating here. Some nice light rain continued through the entire day - lovely. Spent the day at my daughter’s house - managed to cut back some grass from her edges in between showers. Grass very long and in need of mowing. It bothers me.  :)

Took dog for her walk but only a short one - me with umbrella, her wearing her new yellow doggy raincoat which helps a bit but doesn’t prevent her getting a wet undercarriage. Not such a good fit - t could do with being several inches longer - she is a very long bodied dog.  ;D

Glad you had a decent day Roobarb. Nice to get the opportunity to have a chat with your friend. Do you know what the trees with the white blossom are?

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 March 21 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Just popping in to catch up ..

I won't say too much as this is about a living person but since the last time I posted on the diary a close member of my family took seriously ill and had to be rushed into hospital.  I was on my way to nightshift when I got the news.  Only their spouse was allowed into hospital when it was feared they might die.  Then once there was a slight recovery even they were not permitted to stay.  When this happened I felt quite shaken up and it felt very distressing not to be able to go to the hospital when things were really bad or to visit as things improved.
Although, I was quite upset I decided to carry on to work the first night and to keep working.  Although it was difficult I didn't see any point in just sitting at home because of not being allowed to rush in/visit.  The first few days I filled with working and worrying and praying.  However, the good news is the NHS saved my family member's life.  They are now at home in recovery.  All of us in my family are of the opinion that our relative was discharged far too early but I daresay they need the beds for the most urgent cases.  I have kept meaning to post a diary entry but things have just felt so surreal with something so awful happening but life just carrying on as normal - I just couldn't summon up words.  I have felt guilty about having carried on life as normal but the only alternative was to sit at home.  Partly, I have carried on as normal as it was hard to face things otherwise.  Anyway, it is good that things seem getting better.

Getting back to the present .. yesterday, Wednesday, I was on the bus and I couldn't believe it when an elderly man sat himself down next to me!  Only last week I had said to someone, that even when life gets back to normal I don't think I will feel comfortable about having a stranger sit next to me on a bus - a least for a while.  So I couldn't believe it that someone would do this when we are still in lockdown and should be social distancing.  The bus was quite busy but I saw that there were some vacant seats.  My mind started to race and I thought 'What do I do?! What do I do?!'. I wondered how I could remind him about distancing and politely ask him to move or whether I should ask let me out so I could move.  However, just at that point a man sitting in front got up for his stop and the man next to me moved to his place.  Gosh!  I really don't know what he was thinking to have plonked himself down next to me!!

The buses have decreased of late and this is more noticeable at night.  Notices were put up at the bus station stating that this is because of reduced staff and passengers and that people should check websites for revised timetables.  Someone wrote on one notice pointing out that not everyone has the internet to check.  I saw a staff member read this and then they tore it down. So  much for that person's protest. 
I will be glad when the buses increase again. If I finish work late at night I have quite a bit of time to fill waiting around for my second bus.  It can feel a bit creepy with the bus stands empty or almost empty and hardly anyone about.  Although, the place is brightly lit and I have been told there is CCTV.  On Sunday, late at night, one man turned up when I felt practically on my own and the place seemed so isolated.  I thought 'Oh my gosh!' but thankfully he just kept his distance and kept himself to himself.  Then two more separate men came and each kept to themselves as well until their bus came.  Shortly after that my bus came. 
Thankfully, I am on an early start nightshift block from tonight so won't have to worry about feeling isolated at the bus station late at night.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 March 21 15:03 GMT (UK) »
RTL, I'm so sorry to hear how ill your family member has been, you must have been beside yourselves with worry. I can understand why you continued working, sometimes keeping busy is the best way to take your mind off things even if only for a short time, please try not to feel guilt about doing that. Very glad to hear they're recovering, what marvellous work the NHS do. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we didn't want to pressure you into participating in the diary at such a difficult time, we were just concerned for your wellbeing and very pleased that things are looking up.

A strange situation with the man on the bus, I wonder if his mind was elsewhere when he sat down and he just did what he used to do back when things were normal. Thank goodness it was resolved before you needed to take any action. I hope your bus timetables soon get back to normal, it's not nice for you having to stand around for long periods of time.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 March 21 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Ruskie, I don't know what the blossom trees are, I keep trying to identify them without success so far. I have a plant finder app on my phone, I'll have to try and remember to use it tomorrow. They do look very pretty.
I bet your dog looks really cute in her raincoat.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Online Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 March 21 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Blackthorn?

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 March 21 20:34 GMT (UK) »
It looks similar but doesn't have the long stamens.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 March 21 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Could be Blackthorn,the blossom comes before the leaves ?
Hawthorn?

Who remembers the old superstition about not having Hawthorn in the
house ?
It used to be thought it foretold a mother’s death.

How lovely though.
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 March 21 00:08 GMT (UK) »
I don't think it's Hawthorn, it's a bit early for that isn't it? Known as May blossom. I didn't see any berries on those trees previously either. I hadn't heard of the superstition but I know people used to quote the "Ne'er cast a clout till May is out " and have a discussion as to whether that meant the blossom or the month. In this neck of the woods I'm guessing it means the month.  :D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham