Author Topic: George Cameron, Sheriff Substitute of Dingwall, R & C  (Read 2531 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: George Cameron, Sheriff Substitute of Dingwall, R & C
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 March 21 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Regarding children for Christina from her two marriages, haven't found anything concrete. From the link at the begining of the post, it stated for Christina that she had no living issue from either her MacDonald or Cameron marriages (does this mean that if there were children born, they died young?).

So, you have found a birth of a Hectorina MacDonald in 1809 in Inverness. To a couple with the same names, there are also a Janet b. 1811 and Donald b. 1813 also in Inverness (could this Donald be the same as the death you found - Donald Mckenzie McDonald, died Anna Regina Plantation, Guiana 8 Aug 1836?).

With her marriage to George Cameron, cannot see anything for possible children except some unsourced mentions on people's online info for family which state that two children were born to them, a John Robertson McKenzie Cameron and a Marion Cameron....but not dates or further details. (This sounds very much to me as the children of Donald MacKenzie and Mary Bell  ::)).

You might want to consider viewing some of the images for the christenings in Inverness to check whether there may be additional info to help confirm a connection (as you likely know, OPRs are like lucky bags, you don't know what you have until you look!).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 March 21 20:50 GMT (UK) »

M'DONALD, Hectoring, Born: Inverness
Married TURTON, Alexander Esq.
Married COLLINS, James Esq.: 24 MAR 1840, Pln. Greenfield
Died: 25 FEB 1844, Plantation Amsterdam, Demerara

A little more background to her death on the link I included on the other post of yours:

Collins - Death At Plantation Amsterdam, the residence of John Mackenzie, Esq., upon the 25th of February last, aged 33, Mrs Hectorina Collins, Widow of the late Mr Collins, Merchant in Georgetown. While she was in the act of preparing a custard for her child, by the use of a spirit lamp, the flame communicated with her dress, and, although instant assistance was afforded, she was so much burnt and frightened, that she died in thirty hours after the accident. Mrs Collins was a native of Inverness. She had been thirteen years in Demerara. She was well known and much respected throughout the colony, and her painful and premature death has produced a corresponding feeling of regret.
Inverness Courier 17 April 1844 - http://sites.rootsweb.com/~nyggbs/Transcriptions/LisaB/DeathsTrans2015.pdf

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 March 21 20:53 GMT (UK) »
From the same link, details of John MacKenzie's death:

At Rose Cottage, Causewayhead, Stirling, on the 9th inst., Mr John Mackenzie, late of Demerara. Friends at a distance will please to accept this intimation.Inverness Courier - 14 September 1854

I couldn't see a Will & Testament entry for him on SP earlier (there is one for Isabella Munro MacKenzie in 1908).

Is this a good summary of the children of Gilbert and Henrietta here? www.wikitree.com/genealogy/Munro-Descendants-1454

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 March 21 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Given how often nephews pop up in the households of extended family, in case you don't have these...

1861 and Isabella Munro MacKenzie now a widow:

Isabella Mackenzie 44 Head Fund Holder b. Skye
Gilbert Pooly Mackenzie 13 Son b. Demerara, british guiana...died at sea in 1890
Donald George Mackenzie 11 Son b. Demerara, british guiana...died in India 1885
George Gordon Ross 15 Nephew b. Demerara, british guiana
Donald Frederick Ross 13 Nephew b. Glendaruel, Argyleshire
Margaret Robertson 39 Servant
Janet Orr 40 Servant
Helen Harvey 16 Servant

Address: White House, Inveresk (still there! www.onthemarket.com/details/3138148/)

Were the Ross boys sons of John and Donald's sister, Isabella MacKenzie? Some sites have her married to a Ross? However, there is a Scottish birth entry in Kilmodan, Argyll for a Donald Frederick Campbell Ross, son of George Ross and Christina Flora Munro (then connecting to Isabella Munro). Wondering therefore if this is a jumble and people mixing lines up?

George Ross was planter in Demerara and married Christina (said to be his cousin) c.1844 in Demerara. Christina, in some researchers' notes, is described as 'Christina Flora Munro dau of Donald Munro excise officer Skye 1776 and mother Mary MacRae). I think the Ross boys are very likely Isabella Munro's sister's sons. The Ross family look to have headed off to Australia.

Monica

ADDED: There are some many linked threads with these families...! I thought the property name where Isabella Munro MacKenzie showed as living in 1861 rang a bell....we have this as the place Mary Bell's mother, Elizabeth Robertson, died in 1813:

At White House, Mussleburgh, Elizabeth Robertson wife of Charles Bell Esq., wine merchant Leith.
The Scots Magazine and Edinburgh Literary Miscellany, Volume 75, Part 2, 1813

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 March 21 22:25 GMT (UK) »
British Newspaper Archives has a lot on him well worth the investment IMO.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 March 21 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Don  :)

Gosh, there is so much on this family. Feel it all needs to be written up properly! Craig, over to you  ;)

Monica

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 March 21 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Curiosity got the better of me.  George was in Edinburgh having surgery; he died post-op.  His brother-in-law R.S. Taylor was the informant he was also a Sheriff-Substitute.  On his marriage to Taylor he is listed as a Solicitor which could be a clerical error but perhaps not. His estate totalled £2,271 which seems quite substantial for Sheriff-Substitute IMO so perhaps he did both. 

Then in the Newspaper Archive dated 27 Mat 1904 (Inverness) it has an entry dated May 9, 1838 under the Newspaper Annals...

"Mr. George Cameron, Solicitor, was presented by friends in Inverness with a handsome tea and coffee service, on his leaving to take up his appointment at Tain as Sheriff-Substitute for Easter Ross and Cromarty."

There was a high profile trial that took place just before this where he and another were charged with assault this appointment may have something to do with that.

However, his firm is still operating in Inverness for a few years mostly as a factor (estate agency) and a as a broker (loans).  Another George Cameron, Solicitor then appears around the time of his death was this his son?

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 21 March 21 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks again Monica and Don.

I am indeed collating the information Monica to make into a format to present a) to my friend and b) to the Scottish Genealogy Society which I have been in for many years. They have a terrific archive collect here in Edinburgh and I need to access their records to see if I can find more. However this frustrating Covid is in the way till they open up again.

Fascinating details about George Cameron. Thanks Don. I'll certainly explore the newspaper resources further.

This research on the Mackenzie family grew from my initial research on the McNeills of Islay. The connection is Alexander Henry McNeill of Borderlands and Shennanton married Emma Mckenzie, a daughter of Gilbert Proby Mackenzie and Jane Scott, and a granddaughter of John McKenzie and Isabella Munro.
Ellery, Bye, Trimmel/Trimnell, Palmer, Tanner, Ody(e), Webb, Paradise in Wiltshire.
Ellery, Painter in Gloucestershire.
Ellery, Clift in London, Middlesex and Surrey.
Clift, Rolfe in Springfield, Essex.
Ellery, McBeth/McBeath, Towar, Morrison, Young in Stirlingshire.
Young, Cuthbert in Perthshire.
Hill, Fairweather, McKinlay, Ramsay in Caithness and Edinburgh.
McNicoll, Bogue, Coupar, Bowman, Lumgair, Weir in Arbroath and Angus.