Author Topic: Barclay family West Calder  (Read 5918 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Barclay family West Calder
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 March 21 17:52 GMT (UK) »

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 March 21 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sandra, gosh you have been busy but unfortunately this Helen B Barclay is NOT in my family.  My Helen B Barclay is the daughter of Adam Barclay and Janet (Jeanie) Bett born about 1890 in West Calder, Edinburgh, Scotland.

anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 March 21 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Have you found Helen ?  This one was born in Edinburgh according to the obit. Looking at the births for the period 1888 - 1890 only 2 Helen with the letter "B" as a middle initial - one was Glasgow (1888) and the other Kirknewton and East Calder (1889)
Would not be uncommon for dependant or informant to not know the exact name of parents, especially if there had been no contact ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 22 March 21 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Sandra ..Helen married George Mackay see reply 3 ..1912 West Calder Scotland

Rosie

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 22 March 21 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie.  Have deleted (I think) I was convinced the informant had given slight mis-information with names.
Having a problem typing at the moment - perhaps the batteries need replace. (I know mine do  :))

Thanks again
Sandra

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 22 March 21 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie.  Have deleted (I think) I was convinced the informant had given slight mis-information with names.
Having a problem typing at the moment - perhaps the batteries need replace. (I know mine do  :))

Thanks again
Sandra

Think we are all the same just now Sandra  :) will be glad when we all get back to some normality

Rosie

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 22 March 21 18:57 GMT (UK) »

Just had news for our 2 nd jab so that is good.  Will still be airing on the side of caution.
How are you doing in Scotland with the jabs ?

Watch with trepidation to see if we have lost any rootschatters over the last 12 months. Think there was a lady on Northumberland but don't think that was covid.  A few missing names  :)

Lucky Nicola Sturgeon today......

Sandra

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 22 March 21 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hubby gets second jag April he had  a bit of a reaction to his first so will be prepared for his second one ..I'm just waiting on my date for second jag ..vaccine going well here that's them doing the age 50 group now ..Yes good news for  Nicola  :)

Rosie

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 22 March 21 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rosie and Sandra
Having downloaded the marriage certificate from Scotlandspeople, I can now confirm that Helen (Ellen) Bett Barclay married George MacKay at 22 Kirkgate, West Calder, on 21 June 1912.  One of the Witnesses to the marriage was Mary Ann Barclay, Helen's sister.  He was the son of James MacKay, fisherman, and wife Jessie MacKay, maiden surname, also Mackay. 

Note: witness Mary Ann Barclay is I believe Mrs. Annie Scott but as of yet I have NOT found the marriage.

Regards, Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk