Author Topic: Diary > Friday 19th March  (Read 790 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Friday 19th March
« on: Friday 19 March 21 23:51 GMT (UK) »
A wet start to the day but dry by late morning. As I set off for my walk there was a huge flock of gulls overhead, all shouting at each other, don't know what that was about. As I passed the blossom trees on the edge of the wood I took a photo with my plant finder app. It said they are cherry trees and when I checked the leaves and blossom against images on the Internet they checked out. Having had a closer look at the flowers I could see that the stamens were longer than I originally thought. I made sure there was no-one about before I started lurking in the undergrowth.

Art class in the afternoon, I found it quite a challenge to  paint a picture by painting in the background first without doing any drawing to guide me, just checking against my tonal sketch. And using Brusho too, so random.  Felt quite exhausted after it. Next week is the last one before the Easter break. A little later my friend L and I had our usual discussion on the phone about the class and other things.

My SIM card for my spare phone arrived, put it in the phone and this time it connected but there was no sign of the £10 credit I'd put on the one that didn't work, which they promised to transfer to this one when it arrived. Couldn't face all the hassle entailed in that again so procrastinated this one.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 19th March
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 March 21 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Another busy day for you, Roobarb.

Aside from the usual daily activities, got caught out when Asda driver arrived 15 minutes early and I was still in PJ's and dressing gown having been on the PC since breakfast.  Felt embarrassed but didn't seem to bother him - suppose he's seen worse!  After putting my delivery away I dressed and then saw my downstairs neighbour sitting outside in a new garden chair!  Decided to pop down to say hello and he was pleased to see me.   It was a beautiful sunny day and really nice to have a chat.   After around 15 minutes came back inside as I was beginning to get a numb bum from sitting on the doorstep!

Have temporarily abandoned doing jigsaws and concentrating on knitting again.   The twins are growing apace - being fed too well - and preemie clothes no longer fit them so I'm off again with baby jackets.

Hope all our regulars are well.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 March 21 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Glad you sorted out the tree type Roobarb... those plant finder apps are great I’ve got one on my phone...
also got one that translates foreign languages which I’ve found helpful in the past... not been of much use in the past year though 😢😢
Your art work sound intriguing.... having looked up what to to with Brusho technique I’d love to have a go at it..

Annette- there’s no harm in answering the door in your pj’s and dressing gown.... has been known in my house too 😀...
sounds like you’re going to be kept busy for some time with knitting for your two little ones!

As promised the weather was quite dull early on and the ground was quite damp from overnight rain...
Was intending to shower after breakfast but OH asked if I’d give him a hand with operation fencing... of course I said...
Whilst waiting for it to dry out a bit just did some paperwork, general household stuff..
OH went to pick up prescriptions for himself and two of our friends...
Both friends popped down to collect them had brief doorstep chats... one friend had been busy making mince pies to put in the freezer... blimy she’s organised!
Had a fairly early lunch then got changed to go outside by this time it had dried up and was pleasant...
First the holly bush had to be dug up... then we tied the fir tree next to it up with rope and OH started to dig another 2ft hole... lots of the soil good enough to keep but soon down to clay... you wouldn’t believe the amount of soil that can come out of a hole that size 😱😱... I helped kneeling down and putting it into the bags as much easier for me... it was hard work and we came across some thick tree roots that had to be chopped... so may loose fir tree have to wait and see...
Finally finished and loaded bags into the car to go to the skip...
whilst in the drive villager who lives down near the dogs asked if we’d heard the latest... no.....
The male dog had got under the fence growling and barking and circling her, she was terrified... everytime she moved it continued... it bit her wrist through two pairs of gloves and her coat cuff... she managed to get along the road to nearest cottage- owned by a friend- got inside and shut the gate with the dog still trying to get under the gate!
She reported to the police... went to the docs for tetanus and the nurse took photos of her wrist.. said she wouldn’t at this time press charges though 😱 we didn’t think that was her best decision...but still... OH suggested she got in touch with dog warden as there doesn’t seem to be any liaison between him and police... owners no where to be seen she said... this is now a step too far they have to do something...
I phoned and spoke to C other friends who had reported previous incidents as well... she was surprised villager not gone ahead with legal action..
Whilst talking our friend C she told me she’d spent 6 hours in A&E on Tuesday... she’d gone into the garage freezer tripped over the leaf blower landed on both knees... chipped a bone on one knee and badly bruised the other... she’s got to wear a splint and on crutches until going to fracture clinic on 31st March... said P her hubbie was having to do everything... after day 3 she thought he was getting bit fed up... said if I could do anything like ironing etc let me know... don’t know what’s going on with my friends all these accidents etc..
Dinner was baked gammon in cider with pots and green veg and made mushrooms sauce with chestnut and wild mushrooms added cider, leeks and some  creme fraiche...
Watched tv.... felt quite tired after all that physical work so had an early night... had fallen asleep whilst watching Gardeners World!
Message from C to say they’d sent Mail to dog warden re villager being bitten just to make sure he knew!

Please stay safe everyone!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 March 21 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Roobarb

Your Friday sounds interesting in  finding out what type of Cherry trees you saw on your walk I must download an app like that to find out what these different plants are.

This is my first online diary post although I have been keeping a manual one

As I work from from home since last March my daily routine is the same apart from how I spend my time in my breaks, as yesterday morning  being Friday I went for a walk just to get out of the house and go to my local bakers and back for a pasty and a cake in advance for my lunch. Lunchtime was spent sitting in the garden reading and eating my pasty as it was so sunny and we keep 3 hens so it was lovely to watch them, and phone my mum as she is 97 in a care home in Wales as I live in England so I miss her and looking forward to when I can see her again.  Anyway after having my lunch  I had to go back to work then when I finished went for a walk for exercise still sunny and felt good to be out seeing people and I shopped at my local shop then home again.  The evening was spent ordering a takeaway curry for home delivery and listening to an online singer which I usually watch regularly and also doing some family tree research, then I went to bed. 

Take care and stay safe everybody

Elizlloyd
Way, Haydon, Sharland, Frost, Gunn, Searles, Carew, Jones, Gould, Smith, Featherstone, Lloyd,

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 March 21 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Annette, apparently some people go to the supermarket in their PJs so taking in your shopping at your doorstep is nothing by comparison!

What a day Caroline! Digging up the holly bush must have been a precarious task and pretty hard work.
What a dreadful experience for the villager with the dog, surely the police can take action whether she presses charges or not, under the dangerous dogs act. This incident confirms your suspicions that the dogs are dangerous, not just noisy and intimidating.
And another of your friends out of action, sounds painful, hope she recovers soon.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 March 21 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Good to hear from you Elizlloyd and to hear about your day. I've been told by some friends about how working from home has its own challenges, one friend would like to do that permanently, another feels like she can't get away from work but likes the short time it takes her to get ready. Good for you to be able to spend your lunchtime in the garden.
It must be very difficult for you not being able to see your mum, hope its not too long before you can see her. The app I use is Plant Finder, you just take a photo of the plant and it searches for it, gives info about the plant.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 March 21 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb,  glad you have identified the mystery trees. Will they produce edible cherries? Cherries are my favourite fruit. It’s probably a good challenge for you approach your artwork differently.

Annette, with the babies growing so quickly,it sounds like you need to be knitting big and baggy styles. I always loved cotton jumpers in those in between seasons - with the summer approaching I was wondering do you ever knit with cotton?

Caroline, I can’t believe that another one of your friends is laid up. There must be something in the air around your way. As everyone knows I love doggies, but the vicious pair in your neighbourhood are a real menace. Why on earth people have dogs like that I don’t understand. It’s not that hard to build a good solid fence to contain them, and from what you have said I they don’t sound like they are short of a quid or two.

Eliz, great to “see” a new face here. Despite having no active cases of covid in op the community, my daughter works twice a week from home. Apparently it was something they did when we had lockdowns last year, and they have continued with it as it was so successful.

My Friday was event free. I think I went to the shops, and started watching another TV series, “River”  - bit of an odd one so far, Nicola Walker (again!).  ;D Weather fine, temperature not high, about 27 degrees, but quite humid. Can’t remember what else I did.  :)

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 March 21 10:50 GMT (UK) »
How lovely to see another diaries posting  Elizlloyd.... I have Lloyds in my family!

It’s interesting to read about someone who is working from home and how you find coping with it all... your chucks must be a pleasure to watch! It must be so very hard not being able to see your mum so hope you can soon..

Ruskie - yes dogs are becoming a REAL problem as we predicted and warned the dog warden so hope he does something about it... I like dogs too but this particular one is getting ever bolder... first getting out of the garden, chasing cyclists and now biting someone ... what next one wonders..

I’ve put some spring flower pics on Thursdays diary for you!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK