Author Topic: Gerard O'Connor/Connor/Connors and daughter Johanna of Tralee  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Kyle_Welch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gerard O'Connor/Connor/Connors and daughter Johanna of Tralee
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 March 21 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Shanreagh

I missed part of your previous reply.

Johanna was a member of St Patrick's Church in Beaver Dam.  I know who she married in Beaver Dam, Irishman John Welch, who she apparently met in Beaver Dam.  I have their wedding date and  will certainly start looking for their marriage certificate for both parent's names (thank you for that tip as well). I do have all of their children's names and will look for hints in their names.

I am not sure who she emigrated with. Her obituary (attached) just says she came over with a party of emigrants "from that part of Ireland." I have been trying to find immigration records which has been a challenge.

Best,
Kyle 

Offline pwaldron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Gerard O'Connor J.P. of Tralee
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 June 23 20:10 BST (UK) »
This obituary appeared in the Kerry Evening Post on Wednesday 9 April 1884, but unfortunately mentions no relatives:

DEATH OF GERARD O'CONNOR. ESQ., J.P. It is with much regret our readers and the public will learn of the demise this morning of Gerard O'Connor, Esq., J.P, at his residence, Denny Street. It was but yesterday that he had completed his 84th  year having been born on 8th April 1800. He took an active part in the Tithe Rent charge agitation in 1842 and even suffered imprisonment, but about 22 years ago he was appointed to the Commission of the Peace for his native county, and until but a short time since discharged his unpaid duties faithfully, efficiently and conscientiously He was much respected in the court—Tralee Petty Sessions—from which he was scarcely ever absent until old age prevented him.