Author Topic: William Adair  (Read 1329 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Adair
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 March 21 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Jane’s death looks to be 24th August 1875 - registered 31st August.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elinga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My mum and dad circa 1946
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 March 21 15:49 GMT (UK) »
hello Heywood and Kiltaglassan
thanx for the clarification for Janes death !
so I have been going over everything you both gave me and the 1911 census has got me stuck !
according to that it says William is 4 , could it just be a mistake as if the birth certificate is correct and I presume it is he would be 14/15 ???
regards
Everyday is a school day !!!!

McCrory/McCrorie Orr and McCafferty , Northern Ireland
Orr, Adair, McCafferty,McCrorie and McCrory, Millar,Strachan, Lewis,Linn, Arnott, Scott,Kerr,McKinnon , Jeffrey or Jaffrey,Lambie, Findlay and Meechan Ayrshire Scotland.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 March 21 15:56 GMT (UK) »
It was the 1901 census, hence 4yrs.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline elinga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 March 21 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scotmum thanx for pointing out my error , I have square eyes now . I am going into a dark corner now !

Orr, Adair, McCafferty,McCrorie and McCrory, Millar,Strachan, Lewis,Linn, Arnott, Scott,Kerr,McKinnon , Jeffrey or Jaffrey,Lambie, Findlay and Meechan Ayrshire Scotland.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 March 21 18:40 GMT (UK) »
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Shankill/Howe_Street/151670/

from various 1913 newspaper reports of timescale:

.      summonses against Samuel Adair and two against Jane Adair, who was his mother. They were for abstracting gas from gas meter supplied Jane Adair—abstracting gas,  by means of fraudulent appliances attached meter in the house 17, Howe Street.       

Note that Jane Adair was still recorded as married at time of the 1911, albeit she was head of house. A 1929 In Memoriam from a William Adair re his dearly beloved wife Jennie Adair, 17 Howe Street, says she died 25th July 1928 and was interred at Carnmoney Cemetery. Son, William J Adair, by that time was at 37 Crosby Street.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 March 21 22:53 GMT (UK) »
sorry for the long story, but I have tried to include everything I know .
up until recently I believed that my great great grand parents Arthur Adair and Mary Johnston who married on 16 Dec 1850 ... only had 4 daughters !

I am now somewhat confused, as you seem to have been aware of possibly 2 Adair sons back in 2010. A Robin/Robert and a William who married Jane O'Neill.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=483628.0

with replies 9, 11 and 16 on that thread having been particularly helpful in respect of William and his mum Mary. Here is the now available record of the widowed Mary Adair nee Johnston marrying Joseph Workman in 1868, with an Adair witness https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/43f01d2995010 .

Offline elinga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 March 21 12:02 BST (UK) »
hello Scotmum,at the time in 2010 I was going by hearsay regarding Robin/Robert and as there was no proof I put him in the dont know file !
regarding William although he seemed to be one of mine , later in 2014 I think , it suggested that he was another Adair family and tbh I went looking at other ancesters !
as I mentioned earlier it wasnt until I got my dna test last year  and starting searching the Adairs  again I did discover that there was several William Adairs with other wives supposedly connected to my Arthur and Mary , then I was more confused that ever :-(