Author Topic: Abraham BLACKSHAW b 1806/7 Mobberley  (Read 1606 times)

Offline valk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Abraham BLACKSHAW b 1806/7 Mobberley
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hello
I eliminated Elizabeth Blackshaw daughter of Peter and clarinda as she was already married when James was born in 1787.  Yes Ann Blackshaw is part of the same family. She  had an illegitimate daughter (Phebe) and later married someone called Simpson. She is in the same grave as Abraham (1764 -1788)  son of Peter and Clarinda. 
Daughter Phebe (Hewitt) is in the same grave as Peter and Clarinda. 
Yes I am convinced  that the master that James was apprenticed to was Peter Blackshaw (1753 -1832) of Great Warford buried in the same grave as Peter Blackshaw buried 1753 aged 61. (born 1698)
Have you looked at the will of William Blackshaw 1733 - 1815?  I know Sinderland is about 8 or 9 miles from Mobberley, but this William was a bricklayer.  He had a son William.  He had  a daughter Betty who died at the age of 29 in 1791.  His daughter Martha married John Holt in 1798 and an Abraham Blackshaw was a witness.  Is it possible the Mobberley family and this family are linked way back. (e.g. both sons of Peter Blackshaw born 1698)?

Offline Rod Blackshaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Abraham BLACKSHAW b 1806/7 Mobberley
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 18:03 BST (UK) »
I clearly have some catching up to do! You have details that I do not and go back further than I have managed so far. Are these records from the memorial inscriptions you mentioned?

I have the impression that up until mid-century (19th) that there was a degree of mobility in pursuit of work and they shifted from parish to parish. This suggests to me that they were either unskilled (i.e. labourers) or had non-location skills such as bricklaying. Even so, they did not go too far. My line eventually settled in Wilmslow, presumably because of the mills in the area.