Author Topic: Birth certificate annotated by the Registrar "Adopted" at Birth  (Read 2841 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Birth certificate
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 March 21 19:22 BST (UK) »
From that, Dorrie, there may well be poor relief notes etc that could be followed up for both the girls, Annie and Mary (once the Mitchell Library in Glasgow is up and running again)? Maybe the marriage entry you found might include family witnesses?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 March 21 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica I couldn't resist a look at Annie's Marriage Certificate for 1933 and she states that her father is deceased too. Witnesses are John Garth and Edward Hughes. Annie's address is given as 20 Dalmahoy Street. They were married at 6 Annfield Street, after Banns according to Forms of Church of Scotland.

I wonder if there was some sort of fall out with her father as it would appear he did not die until 1953 at Stirling. He married Helen Reid in Edinburgh. Now got me wondering, sadly, if he abandoned his two young daughters Annie and Mary?

The Mitchell Library might yield something but no word of it reopening yet.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 March 21 20:30 BST (UK) »
Without additional notes from those times, so hard to say isn't it what actually happened with the girls following their mother Janet's death. I wonder too if they girls grew up without any contact with each other?

Maxcam, you commented earlier that Ann was brought up by an aunt and uncle?

Monica

Offline maxcam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 March 21 21:10 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all your assistance. I know about Annie's family after her marriage to James McConnell and they went on to have 14 children. In the 1950's one half of the family went to Australia, including Annie and James, whilst the remaining half of the children emigrated to Canada. It is a distant relative in Canada whom I am trying to assist.

The Edinburgh address might be a possibility as Mary's Father's second address on his DC is given as Edinburgh, the first is sadly a Lunatic Asylum in Stirling. I cannot wait until 1921 census is published when some of my bits of paper might make some sense. In the meantime I'll plough on. By the way my relative in Canada, especially, really appreciates all of your wisdom. Her late Grandmother Annie, always wondered whether she had any siblings too late for Annie but the rest of the family now know some of the history.

Many thanks, once again and I'll keep you up to date with any further information.

Stewart: Scotland & Ireland
Buchanan: Scotland
Stephen: Scotland& Canada
Diamond: Ireland & Scotland
McCallum, Scotland

Offline maxcam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 March 21 21:52 BST (UK) »
Yes, I also got a copy of Annie's Marriage cert to James McConnell in 1933 and same as you, noted she said her Father was deceased. Sad and like you I also wondered if family ties had been severed. One of Annie's earliest memories,  which she related in later life, was when she was about 5, she remembered living with Auntie Annie and her three oldest children, whose names match exactly with those of the oldest children of my paternal Grandparents. My paternal Grandfather and Annie's Father were half brothers. No trace of Annie from her early childhood until her marriage in 1933 but from the Lanarkshire/Glasgow areas doubt if she travelled very far. I also noted no occupation given for Annie on her MC, perhaps in service? Just when I thought I was done with mysteries but as Hercule said it keeps the little grey cells ticking over. Not much else to do at this time.
Stewart: Scotland & Ireland
Buchanan: Scotland
Stephen: Scotland& Canada
Diamond: Ireland & Scotland
McCallum, Scotland

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 March 21 22:31 BST (UK) »
We are always pleased to help and I can speak for Monica too. Just sorry that we could not give you any more information.

Poor Annie wondering if she had any siblings and not knowing of Mary's existence. Oh what a tangled web we weave.

I too am looking forward to seeing the 1921 Scottish Census as it will be interesting to find out how my mum is described by her foster parents.

Just out of curiosity what Edinburgh address is given on the father's DC in 1953?

Good luck and hopefully some day the mystery will be solved.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 March 21 23:41 BST (UK) »
Possibility for further checking:

Name:   Mary Duncan
Death Date:   31 May 2000
Burial or Cremation Date:   7 Jun 2000
Burial or Cremation Place:   Edinburgh, Scotland     

Deceasedonline seem to have a Cremation register scan available for £2, but not sure if it would provide any useful details.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 March 21 23:43 BST (UK) »
Yes, Scotsmum, that is the one we had seen. Just a lack of marriage so far for a Mary Brownlie to a Duncan in Scotland. She could have married elsewhere though.

Added: Just checked. No marriage in England & Wales that I can see.

Monica

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 March 21 23:48 BST (UK) »
Yes, but you had noted the death index from SP, whereas this might be same person, but refers to a cremation certificate at Deceasedonline, hence why I posted, in case it was worth maxcam's while chancing £2 on same.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .