Author Topic: Pontyberem Pubs  (Read 3490 times)

Offline joneskearns

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pontyberem Pubs
« Reply #27 on: Friday 15 March 24 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Re: Fancy/Ffansi
Fascinated to read the posting and mention of Parch John Jones. I am a direct descendant of his sister Emiah and her husband Daniel Jones, mentioned in the history of Methodists in Carmarthenshire, though not by name I think. Fancy clearly played a significant part in the origins of Methodism in the area. Would love to know more...

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pontyberem Pubs
« Reply #28 on: Monday 18 March 24 18:36 GMT (UK) »
The below is from “The History of Pontyberem” written in 1856 by Stephen Evans of Cilcarw Farm (1799-1873). If I remember correctly the original article was in Welsh and entered into an Eisteddfod competition. It mention pubs in the area at the time and “the 2 chained ladies of the Fancy”!

“On wet Sundays, time was spent talking of spirits and ghosts namely the "Milgi" of
Caenewydd, the solider of Caedrain, the headless man of Heol y Felin, the two chained ladies
of the Fancy and the "white lady" of Marchoglwyn - amongst many others. We are thankful
that such things no longer interest our youth - now much more sober than hitherto.
The village, at present consists of 58 houses, the cleanliness of which reflects credit of the
female sex. The inhabitants number about 275, the majority of whom had excellent and
moral lives. The majority of the workers are miners, employed by Messrs. Watneys at
Coalbrook. The Watneys are to be praised for their efforts on behalf of the area.
A post office was set up in 1855 in Jacob Davies house. There was a need for such as, for
years. The nearest post office was either at Carmarthen or Llanelli.
There are at present 5 taverns in the village.
The Plough - Mrs Margaret Williams
The Pelican- Mr. John Davies
The Star- Andrew Adams
The Bridgend Inn- W. Lover - this is the old chapel sold by the Independants.
The New Inn- Mr. Thomas Wiliams.
There are 3 shops. These are owned by Thomas Trehearne, Joseph B.Hopkins and David
Davies.”