Author Topic: Margaret Jane Armstrong, nee Pickering, formerly McEwan  (Read 213 times)

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Margaret Jane Armstrong, nee Pickering, formerly McEwan
« on: Monday 29 March 21 21:26 BST (UK) »
Margaret Jane Pickering was born in Ireland Sept 28, 1852. Her family moved to Glasgow (her parents were James Pickering and Margaret Bell), and Margaret Jane married William Henry McEwan June 2, 1874. William met with a tragic accident at the age of 26 and was killed. Margaret Jane remarried to Thomas Armstrong Dec 30, 1887 and I don't find her again. There is wrong info online that she died 1926 but that is the wrong person. Thomas Armstrong was first married to Margaret Clark and his parents were Thomas Armstrong and Helen Stars married before 1852, and then Helen remarried to William Toughill before 1869. It is interesting that Margaret Jane's younger brother James married the daughter of William Toughill and Helen Stars.
I did find the death of William Toghill (spelling) in 1924. But I don't find Thomas Armstrong and Margaret Jane nee Pickering after their marriage. Can anyone help with that?
Thank you
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Jane Armstrong, nee Pickering, formerly McEwan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 March 21 21:31 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk?

Margaret Armstrong, other surname Pickering, died in Glasgow Garngadhill in 1907 aged 52.

1901 census in Glasgow: Thomas Armstrong, 47; wife Margaret, 45, daughter Margaret, 23, grandson John Miller, 6, granddaughter Ellen Armstrong, 1.

1891 census in Glasgow: Thomas A, 38; wife Margaret, 36, stepdaughter Margaret McKeown, 15; daughter Ellen Armstrong, 15; son Thomas Armstrong, 10; daughter Margaret Armstrong, 12.

McKeown is an alternative spelling of McEwan.

Thomas and Margaret sr born in Ireland, the rest in Glasgow.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 March 21 21:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you so very much, Forfarian. I don't know why I couldn't find them. This is great information.
I will follow up with births of grandchildren John Miller and Ellen Armstrong.
thanks again
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 March 21 21:57 BST (UK) »
I don't know why I couldn't find them.
Maybe because Margaret's age is more than a year adrift?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.