Author Topic: Who was Mr Fudge?  (Read 691 times)

Offline Peter H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Who was Mr Fudge?
« on: Thursday 01 April 21 18:23 BST (UK) »
My 3x Great Grandmother, Elizabeth Simpson Amos was baptised on 20 March 1801 at Kingston St Mary at the age of 12, the daughter of William and Mary. Nothing too exceptional about that, except that the incumbent has written "This child was one of Mr Fudge's scholars and was baptised by the desire of her relatives who were of another persuation [sic]".

I can only assume that Mr Fudge was some sort of non-denominational clergyman. If Elizabeth's parents had died (I don't know if they had) and Elizabeth was now being brought up by relatives who were staunch C of E, they may have been the ones wanting Elizabeth baptised into their branch of the religion.

My question is, who was Mr Fudge? Does anyone have any information about him and his 'school'?

Peter

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Mr Fudge?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 April 21 19:45 BST (UK) »
I had a look in the newspapers and this is the only article I could find about Mr. Fudge.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Peter H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Mr Fudge?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 April 21 18:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Jool. That must be the same Mr Fudge although, as he was a friend of the vicar, the reference to the relatives being of a different persuasion is a bit puzzling. I guess it's one of those things where we will never know the details. But at least I now know the identity of the mysterious Mr Fudge, thanks to you.

Peter