Author Topic: Wesleyan Methodist Missionaries  (Read 2939 times)

Offline snowqueen

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Wesleyan Methodist Missionaries
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 07:24 BST (UK) »
I have many Methodist Lay Preachers in my tree.They were Farmers, Butchers, Ironstone Miners etc etc so I don't think it would be unusual for him to be a Labourer/Methodist Preacher.

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
Re: Wesleyan Methodist Missionaries
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 08 April 21 11:15 BST (UK) »
The Methodist Church (as the name suggests) is very organised and has been so since John Wesley's time.  Individual Churches are part of a Methodist Circuit.  All the Circuits form a District and all the Districts make up the Methodist Connexion.

Each Circuit is served by a Minister or team of Ministers and Local Preachers (lay preachers).  The Local preachers don't get paid and can come from a wide variety of professions eg farmers, joiners labourers, shop keepers etc as well as retired people.  The Circuit produces a Preaching plan, usually each quarter and this gives the name of each church in the Circuit and who is preaching there (Minister or Local Preacher) for each service.  It also gives names and addresses for the Ministers and Local Preachers.

Each Circuit usually has an office which may hold historical information.

I would be tempted to contact the Circuit Office for the St Austell Circuit and see if they can help.  It is a long time ago but you never know.  It is definitely worth a try.

https://staustellmethodist.co.uk/

Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett