Author Topic: Diary > Friday 2nd April - Good Friday  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 2nd April - Good Friday
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 April 21 13:53 BST (UK) »
So marvellous you had some time with FH Viktoria, and another visit to look forward to.  :D
Wonderful.
Nice to know the children are flourishing, both you and Caroline comment about "how they have grown!!"

Ruskie: The strap on the dog lead looked to me like it went around the jaw to stop it opening.... called a "halter lead" it seems, but looking at images it might not stop the jaw from opening, although the Alsatian dog I saw this morning definitely did look like it would..... if you follow me.

It might be that my son and family are at Phillip Island, where phone signal is difficult.  :-\
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 April 21 14:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the description MH. I think my dog needs a full snout covering.  ;D Ooo, Phillip Island would be lovely at this time of year. Phone coverage in many areas can be a bit hit and miss.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 April 21 15:40 BST (UK) »
Well, doorbell rang “ Ah ha “I thought,Tesco!
But no,a young man who used to pass with a magnificent dog,the one I said looks like a Leonberger but is a cross between an Alsatian and Mastiff.The lad walked it every afternoon after school.
We got friendly and I always enquired about his further studies .
I knew his parents when they were children at school ,going back a good while now?
He said he just though5 he would bring me an Easter egg,
a Terry’s chocolate orange one!
I haven’t seen him in a while and he has got so big I hardly recognised him .
How nice,
His Mum had a new baby on a Sunday,but left hospital to bring her littlest child to school the next day ,the Monday ,as she had promised she would!It was the little girl’s first day at school.
I have never forgotten that!

Hope everyone has a lovely day tomorrow.
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 April 21 17:32 BST (UK) »
Can just imagine your naughty dog Ruskie, perhaps she just wanted to exercise her voice.  :D

Thank you for the heads up on the title Annette, duly amended. That's twice I've done that in a matter of days, must be losing my marbles!
You might be lucky with the weather tomorrow, here on the north east coast the forecast is showing 15 degrees and wall to wall sunshine. Take plenty of layers and unpeel as appropriate!

Caroline - pleased to hear you had a lovely day with your family, a good move to put your meal in the slow cooker.

Great to get together again for your dancing MH, hope you hear from your loved ones soon.

Viktoria, what a lovely surprise for you, I was quite touched to read about the young man bringing you an Easter egg, so thoughtful.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 April 21 22:39 BST (UK) »
How lovely Viktoria an unexpected gift... nice to be thought of on these occasions too... my you’ve a wonderful memory... having said that my OH remembers kids from his teaching days... not always their names straight away but always the face and then in conversation he works out who it is!

MH - you too had an unexpected pleasure joining in with your Morris dancers.. in the sunshine too lucky you... lifts the spirits no end...

Wimpole is a lovely estate, they have a farm there which of course wasn’t open... the house is pleasant to go round too... even the adventure playground was closed... but they found plenty of other places to have fun in!

Ruskie... your cool 25C sounds wonderful... think we’d all settle for that here... perhaps without the rain though..

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 April 21 23:40 BST (UK) »
I got a “Halti” lead for my Irish Setter, she was not a “ puller “but she was so big her normal stride was so long ,I needed her to slow down a little .
Roger Mugford’s theory was a dog always pants as it walks so if it pulls it can’t pant because the Halti closes its mouth so the dog soon learns to walk slower so it can have its mouth open.
However people thought it was a muzzle and thought she was vicious ,which was so far from the truth.

Well calamity, Tesco order came and not an Easter egg in it!
Unavailable!
The annoying thing was I could have got what I wanted when I just dropped in to Tesco’s after my vaccination ,but having ordered online did not think I would not have any!
A kind neighbour was going to town to get a few things and asked did I want anything ,so I asked if she would get eggs for her two little girls and one for FH.
I get them something for Birthdays,Christmas and Easter.
So I have a larger version of. Kinder egg for FH and she kindly just got two Peppa Pig ones .
The Kinder one was £5, there were none at all in the supermarkets so she went to the petrol station , do you know they were only £2-99 last week.Never mind ,but pretty decent of her to get cheap ones for her two,from me ,so I am making a lemon drizzle cake tomorrow for them.
Well no really bad side effects from vaccine,arm better already but must say legs and  hips stiff and aching ,maybe just a coincidence .I do feel very tired too.
Spoke with friend who was so ill a while back, the one I lived with in Shropshire.
She is marvellous.

Hope everyone is alright , we are to have some quite wintry weather coming back it seems.
Such lovely walks you take , and interesting things to see.

Roobarb, look out for sloe berries in Autumn, prick each berry and put in a bottle of gin ,not sure of the quantities though.
We used to make Rumtopf ,a large jar like a sweet jar,put in a layer of sift fruit like strawberries ,cover with sugar and white rum.
Add fruit as it comes in season,but only soft fruit,not apples or pears.Make sure fruit is always covered with rum which must have a high alcoholic content.
Don’t  drive after a portion of this!

FH comes  again  tomorrow, weather permitting we will have a walk then they make their way back to Suffolk.I have three books for him I had  forgotten about ,The wolf and the tree bears( they make cakes).The tiger who came to tea ,and Funnybones ,the characters are skeletons but not scary .
That lights up in the dark.Well sort of fluorescent .
Daughter phones tomorrow evening , so a long chat.

Apple tree buds getting fat,hope the cold spell we are to have does’t blight them.
Fish still lethargic ,but I am wondering if they prefer the previous sort of food ,I just ordered fish food  the  Aquarian brand ,what came was for tropical fish but practically the same as goldfish food .They ate it but I got some for goldfish on the next order .
Tomorrow I will see if they eat the tropical one.

Well bed calls and up early tomorrow  as no idea when FH comes .
Goodnight Viktoria.

Very alcoholic, used instead of Christmas pudding on the continent especially Germany.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 04 April 21 23:52 BST (UK) »
How kind of your neighbour to save the day with the Easter eggs Viktoria, I think the petrol stations tend to be more expensive generally as you pay for the convenience.
I like the sound of the Rumtopf, lovely fruit and a nice drop of rum,what's not to like?!!  ;D

I hope your aches and tiredness are gone tomorrow.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 05 April 21 00:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roobarb, not a worry really and a small price to pay if from vaccination.Goodnight, hope you get a good rest .
Viktoria.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 05 April 21 00:18 BST (UK) »
That makes sense about the halti style dog lead Viktoria. I thought that when the dog pulled, the strap would tighten on their nose and feel uncomfortable, causing them to stop pulling. As long as it works I suppose is the main thing. :)

Good that you are seeing FH again. I’m sure he will love the books. I used to love Funnybones - I think my children did too.  :) It used to be an animated cartoon too didn’t it? FH would probably like it.

I hope you are hale and hearty again soon Viktoria.