Author Topic: Arthur MIMS - arrived Quebec on 18 June 1910 on the Victorian from Liverpool  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
I wonder if anyone can help me find out anymore about Arthur after his arrival in Canada.

According to the passenger arrival list he was single, aged 40, b. England and heading for Saltcoats, Saskatchewan to be a farming agent.

The only other possible record I can find in Canada is on the Saskatchewan Residents Index for Arthur MIMM, 1918, Dilke, casual mention.  Not really sure what that means or even if it is the same person.

I am wondering if this could be a relative of mine who was born on 1 June 1869 in Berkhamstead, Hertfordshire, England - John Arthur MIMS who was know as Uncle Arthur and was rumoured to have emigrated to Canada.  The last sighting I have of him in England is the 1901 census and although his occupation then is not farming related he is potentially the John MIMS that was working as a farm bailiff in Hemel Hempstead in 1890.

From family documents I believe he died around/before 1922, I have no idea how or where but possibly in Canada.

Any further information from Canada would be very much appreciated.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur MIMS - arrived Quebec on 18 June 1910 on the Victorian from Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 April 21 18:32 BST (UK) »

Had you checked this one out?

John Mims - Death Date 25 Feb 1905 38 Castle Street Berkhamstead Hertfordshire.
Probate Date 17 Apr 1905 - Probate Registry London
To John Mims - Stonemason.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur MIMS - arrived Quebec on 18 June 1910 on the Victorian from Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 April 21 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

The John MIMS that died in 1905 was John Arthur’s uncle but thank you for the suggestion. I think John Arthur’s death will have been nearer to 1922 but not later than then.

Pinetree

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 April 21 19:10 BST (UK) »

Do you know if there were any other relatives in Canada or the USA ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 April 21 19:21 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I don’t Sandra. I don’t think he married or had children which is why I was drawn to the record for Arthur as he was the right age and single. I have looked at the 1911 and 1921 Canadian census for Arthur to try and find more about him but without any success.  He might be a totally false lead of course but was just hoping to rule him in or out.

The rest of John Arthur’s family stayed in England.

Pinetree

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 April 21 19:47 BST (UK) »
No Mim/Mims but a few Mimms in the 1921 Census but no Arthur.  In the 1916 Census only one family in SK and they were near Leney not far from Biggar.

Saltcoats was a nothing town then maybe a dozen houses and a general store.  There was group of Welsh farmers that moved in the area in the early 1900's.

Dilkie is another village north of Regina.

Perhaps he enlisted in Canada.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 April 21 19:56 BST (UK) »
Elusive Don - couldn't see any enlistment that fitted him either.  :-\  No death records for Saskatchewan online for the time frame either.  :)

Sandra

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 April 21 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Don,

Thank you for that, seems an odd place to go on your own in 1910, maybe he never got there of course. 

Not so sure about the farming angle now either as the John MIMS farm bailiff from 1890 is definitely a different person.

Pinetree

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 April 21 20:06 BST (UK) »
Doesn't appear to be any border crossing or sightings in the USA as far as I can see.

Sandra