Author Topic: Arthur MIMS - arrived Quebec on 18 June 1910 on the Victorian from Liverpool  (Read 1636 times)

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur MIMS - arrived Quebec on 18 June 1910 on the Victorian from Liverpool
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 April 21 23:01 BST (UK) »
The only ref I could find was in :
Winnipeg Tribune November 16, 1915

Want Ads:
Englishman  45 ineligible for  army requires work useful in tailors shops or gents outfitters.
John Mims 181? Logan Ave.

Kind of doubtful.

Maureen

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur MIMS - arrived Quebec on 18 June 1910 on the Victorian from Liverpool
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 April 21 06:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Maureen,

That’s really interesting. His siblings were very much involved in the tailoring business and on 1901 census in England his occupation was draper’s commercial traveller.

I think you may be on to something, thank you  :D

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 April 21 20:01 BST (UK) »
The only ref I could find was in :
Winnipeg Tribune November 16, 1915

Want Ads:
Englishman  45 ineligible for  army requires work useful in tailors shops or gents outfitters.
John Mims 181? Logan Ave.

Kind of doubtful.

Maureen

Good one Mo. 

Sorry I'm not finding anything else positive.  If he didn't pass away until 1922, we should find him on the 1921 but no luck there.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 April 21 12:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking again for me Sandra, much appreciated.

Pinetree

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 January 24 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Just revisiting this query.  I have now found that 181 Logan Ave, Winnipeg was a men’s mission which would fit in with a single man, although I couldn’t see him on the pages for this property on the 1916 census.

I found this death on the Manitoba vital records website:

https://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/DetailView.php

Lots of the fields are blank, is this because the information is not available or do I need to pay for a more detailed view?

Any further help much appreciated as always.

Pinetree

It seems the link doesn’t take you to the actual entry.  The info available is Alfred John MINNS, died 12 Dec 1919 age 34.  Obviously not a brilliant match but I thought it might be worth checking out. Not him, I have found other records for Alfred. Never mind back to the drawing board  ::)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 January 24 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Mims seems like a fairly unusual surname (at least it is in California).  May I ask what spelling variations you’ve seen before (such as possibly Wims or Winns)?  We could have another look, using variations that you’ve run across.

Thinking outside the box, were any of his nephews named John Arthur and if so, might they have been given the name after your John Arthur’s passing?

Added:  Perhaps it’s already been mentioned but on which census was he last included, please?
  Added again:  I see he’s on the 1881 England census.  On Ancestry as John Arthur Mines.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 January 24 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your interest.

Just to recap to save unraveling previous posts my 2x Great Uncle was born John Arthur MIMS on 1 June 1869 in Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire. The last census sighting I have of him was in England when he was a draper’s commercial traveller.

According to the family he went to Canada and I am pretty sure the advert Maureen found in the Winnipeg Tribune is him.  However we have not been able to find him on any Canadian census.

I have a copy of a letter my grandfather wrote to his Aunt, John Arthur’s sister, on 28 March 1922 in which he says his own father “sometimes mentions Uncle Arthur and wonders how he died”.  So John Arthur must have died before this date.  The Aunt did not respond to the question.  I can not find a death in UK so it may have been in Canada but I can’t be certain, probably between November 1915 and March 1922.

Common variations of the spelling are Mimms, Minns, Mimes and sometimes the first M is mistranscibed as H.

Thanks again,

Pinetree

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 13 January 24 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the summary, Pinetree.  :)  My only question, please: in what year was he last seen in England?  I wouldn’t have checked for Hims or other H variations so thank you for adding that info.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 13 January 24 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Lisa, it was 1901 census in England that I last found him.  Can’t see him in England in 1911 or 1921.

Pinetree