Author Topic: mysterious changing surnames- help!  (Read 1216 times)

Offline littlegeek

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
mysterious changing surnames- help!
« on: Sunday 04 April 21 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, i am trying to make sense of some documents i have, and am struggling because i have various name changes on the different documents, i will try to make some sense!

my paternal great grandmothers brother- JACOB no surname on cert. 6th october 1906- father SAM NATHAN WOLITZSKY. mother- KATE WOLITZSKY formerly NABARRO. occ. of father cloth cap maker. informant- mother KATE WOLITZSKY- 88 nichols square, hackney road. birth registered 10th november 1906. 

My paternal great grandmother- born HILDA WOLITZSKY- 15th december 1908- father SAMUEL WOLITZSKY NATHAN. mother KATE NATHAN formerly JACOBS. occ. of father- cap machinist. informant- mother KATE NATHAN- 6 william street, leyton. birth registered- eight feb- 1909.

i don't understand all the name changes for kate. When i researched before i thought she was born Nabarro, from the birth certs she changes her name according to which last name samuel is using.

Census records-

1911- 250 Boundary road- Kate Nathan, b1876, milliner, married, german.
                                        Hilda Nathan, b1909. the image says 2-4mths old which would be wrong, but the transcript says born 1909. so a little confused by this. but it;s the only Hilda and kate i can find, no Samuel.

i was told Jacob was adopted out and changed his name to smith/smyth- and found this census return:

1911- Jack Nathan- nurse child, aged 4. head of house Julia Smyth- nurse mother. 

The only Samuel, Cap Maker of the same age as my Samuel would be is:
1901- SAMUEL surname N.K.- Married, age 32- cap maker- Russia, Russian subject. Frostic Mansion, 19 whitechapel, london.

so trying to find Samuel and Kate, is proving difficult, and i can't find them together at all. I did have some info that Samuel had a cloth cap factory, and had an affair with Kate which is why Jacob was adopted out, and that he died in 1918. The only other Samuel Wolitzsky i can find is married to a hannah goschowsky.

i do have a marriage cert for Hilda to my great grandfather that cited Hilda's father in 1930 as SAMUEL NATHAN, deceased. Hilda surname is NATHAN on the marriage certificate.

I know i have the right hilda, as her death cert is HILDA HOWLETT which is the name i knew her by, she married a Howlett in later life, and the birth date on her death cert matches the birth cert for her above.

Can anyone help me? point me any direction at all? I have looked at this so long i have a total block of what to do next.

thank you in advance

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: mysterious changing surnames- help!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 April 21 17:42 BST (UK) »
Freebmd have an entry for a death for a Samuel A Wolitsky (Sept qtr 1918, Hackney 1b 385) - have you ordered the death cert to see who the informant was etc?

Find a grave have a photo of this grave https://images.findagrave.com/photos/2014/148/130546673_1401378330.jpg

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 April 21 17:51 BST (UK) »
These are the gro entries which back up the orig information.

WOLITZSKY, JACOB       NABARRO 
GRO Reference: 1906  D Quarter in SHOREDITCH  Volume 01C  Page 87

NATHAN, HILDA  WOLITZSKY     JACOBS 
GRO Reference: 1909  M Quarter in WEST HAM  Volume 04A  Page 381

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 April 21 17:54 BST (UK) »
could the age for Hilda in 1911 be 2 years 4 months? It would match the birth reg for the cert you have.

Hilda Wolitzsky Nathan march qtr 1909 West Ham vol 4a pg 381 mmn Jacobs
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline littlegeek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 April 21 17:58 BST (UK) »
thank you for your response, i haven't got the death cert for samuel aron wolitzsky- i though maybe i was barking up the wrong tree with that one given on the two birth certs he has NATHAN in his name and not aron. Samuel is confusing me!

I have found some more info re KATE- going through some old letters from my aunt and some info i got from a lady at (i forget!)

KATE NABARRO- death cert- date of death 1/4/1942, of 105 cowper gardens, new southgate, widow of sidney nabarro, machinist cap trade. informant L.M.Webb, occupier, little pitsford, pitsford.

A couple of things- my family, my grandad and his parents (kates daughter and husband) were the occupiers of 105 cowper gardens, and therefore this would prove i have the right KATE.

My aunt also said in her letters that Jacob was adopted out to a dora smyth, the census shows Dora was a child when Jacob (jack) was living with them and actually the head of the house was julia.

If this is in fact the correct kate nabarro, then her parents were rehuel nabarro and sarah ricardo i think.

According to a pre done tree by Jeff Adler in the states, kate was never married- would she has given Samuels name as her on the children birth certs so as not be found out as having children out of wedlock possibly? also- i cannot find any record of a sidney/sydney nabarro- so i wonder why this is listed as her widower on her death cert? given she was born nabarro also?

slightly less and more confused! :)

Offline littlegeek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 April 21 18:00 BST (UK) »
yes- that'll be it! 2 years and 4 months! thank you!!  :D

so do we think my census return for 1911 for hilda and kate living together on their own is correct?

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 April 21 18:01 BST (UK) »
Probably a pure coincidence, but there is a Kate Nathan marrying a Harry Jacobs, Dec qtr 1915 Mile End 1c 1215

Offline littlegeek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 April 21 18:41 BST (UK) »
interesting, but kate is using jacobs in 1906, so thinking probably not a link.....thank you so much for everyones help! :)

Offline littlegeek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 April 21 19:02 BST (UK) »
me again!

just reading through some other letters i have- my grandad mentioned his mother HILDA WOLITZSKY had a sister called leah that no one ever met or knew anything about.

the theory i had which was supported by some information (some years ago, so memory not good) was that samuel had a cap factory, was married to hannah goschowsky, but had an affair with kate, and they had my great grandma Hilda and her brother Jacob. Looking at the census- there is a Samuel Wolitzsky, with wife Hannah and Daughter Leah....i am pretty sure it was a man called Michael King i got in touch with, Leah was his grandmother, i think the story came from him. i will have to try to dig out some more info.