Author Topic: Pyne Family Haverfordwest  (Read 1584 times)

Offline Jeremy Pyne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Pyne Family Haverfordwest
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 July 21 15:24 BST (UK) »
Ooh that's interesting, I hadn't found that. I see Monkton is adjacent to Pembroke just to the south of Haverfordwest. I'll have to check out Freereg for any more local Pyne records. Many thanks Trish

Offline buttercup2009

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 July 21 18:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you Trish really appreciate that. I am looking for Henry's father Henry (too many Henry's here) he was born in 1772 according to him and he's not from the county he's living in in 1841. In his Grandson's letter from Sebastopol (which is what started this thread) he refer's to himself as an Englishman which is odd since he was born in Wales - but perhaps because his heritage is English he thinks of himself as English! I have looked but not found him anywhere else. Thank you.
Davey Brightlingsea/Jersey/Oxford
Whitsey Lambeth
Cuckow Coventry/Camberwell/Canada
Broadrib Camberwell/Canada
Mear(e)s Haverfordwest/Woolwich
Lemon Plymouth/Woolwich/Plumstead
Staplehurst Sussex/Greenwich
Frisby Market Deeping/Ontario/BC Canada
Terry Bletchingley/London/BC Canada
Hunt Alresford/Plumstead/Deptford
Gorring Plumstead/Canada
Ford  Woolwich - James Thomas died in South Africa
Ellis Woolwich/Wandsworth/Canada
Juby Plumstead

Offline Jeremy Pyne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 July 21 14:14 BST (UK) »
I should have mentioned before, that a researcher on Henry Pyne senior , the artist, believes he may be a brother of the more renowned artist William Henry Pyne and has uncovered a link of Henry and this William being apprenticed to the same chap - the following is an extract from an article on the subject;

The origins of Henry Pyne are unclear given the conflicting information about his origins in the 1841 and 1851 census returns. According to the former he was not born in Pembrokeshire while the latter gives his birthplace as Haverfordwest. The latter is almost certainly wrong. Although the issue is absolutely not without doubts it does seem compelling that Pyne was born in London in 1772. His father was John Pyne (1727-93) of 9 Exeter Court, St Clement Danes, leather seller and Mary Craze (1736-1819) his wife. He had a famous older brother, William Henry Pyne (1770-1843) a noted English painter, illustrator and writer who also wrote under the name of Ephraim Hardcastle. He first exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1790 and he was one of the founders of the Royal Watercolour Society in 1804. His book, the Costume of Great Britain (1803) included 60 paintings of men and women from everyday life. W. H. Pyne wrote the text for The Microcosm of London and The History of the Royal Residences (1816-19). Pyne had a son, George Pyne (1800-84) who was a noted painter, especially watercolour artist and a noted architectural draftsman. His father-in-law, John Varley (1778-1842) was himself a watercolour painter and was a close friend of William Blake (1757-1827). Henry Pyne was apprenticed to William Sharp (1749-1824) of the Painters’ Livery Company on 4 August 1784.3 His older brother William was apprenticed to the same painter in 1785. William Sharp was an English engraver and artist who developed a highly original style of engraving.

This sounds a good lead, but the children of John Pyne and Mary Craze are in turn well documented and in a biography of William Henry Pyne - there is no mention of the Henry Pyne we're looking at here.  Bit of a mystery....

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 July 21 14:46 BST (UK) »
Will keep this bookmarked as no time to do any research tonight :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)