Author Topic: John Askwith death c1851  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Askwith death c1851
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 00:27 BST (UK) »
I was confused too, but now reckon the two news reports refer to two different Johns - father and son. The son, whose family - including Mary Ann - were living at Friar Lane in 1851, is selling the horses because he's retiring through ill health, and the "late John Askwith" is his father, who owned Friars Lane.

John senior's wife Elizabeth was the matriarch running the business, and was at Friars Lane till the mid/late 1850s, but it's not clear when the property was actually sold. Not sure when and where she died either.

I'll have a look at John 1833 and John 1835. If there are three generations of John i.e. John  senior's father is another John, it's not likely they felt the need for imagination ...

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 01:56 BST (UK) »
Plot A619 Canwick Road

John Askwith aged 35 of Anchor St, buried 18th March 1870.
Elizabeth Askwith of Mint Lane aged 75, buried 20th May 1891

Plot A620
Elizabeth Askwith of Oxford St, aged 79. Buried 9th Sep 1868

Just glad the plot details above tie two of them together as there's a John aged 54, buried in 1887 plot B2466 so birth c1833.

I can only find one probate record and that's 1891, the Scarborough name appears here and there as witness and/or middle names, it becomes apparent why in the probate register. The Charles Baker name is where I started from as he is a son in law and an executor in countless family probate records.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 10:07 BST (UK) »
A bit more evidence that John had died in 1836

On Tuesday last, at St Swithin's, Lincoln, (Rev. G. S. Dickson,) Mr. Chas. Bennett, tea dealer, of Fetter-lane, London, to Sarah youngest daughter of the late Mr. John Askwith, of this city.

Sarah Askwith of Friars Lane, daughter of John Askwith, a Higgler, married
Charles Bennett, a Grocer of St Andrew Holborn, London, on 3 Jan 1843 at St Swithin

Sarah Askwith
Baptism: 6 Jan 1822 at St Swithin, daughter of John and Elizabeth.

David

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 20:37 BST (UK) »
I love it when a name from the 1900's (in this case an executor to several wills) leads to these tangled families.
There's  carpenters, beer sellers, publicans and undertakers appearing everywhere in my searches and they keep crossing paths in not only professions but also places with existing family I've traced.

The 1856 death cert looks to be on the wanted list now as that may well reveal the news articles were just printed in a particular way referring to two generations but I've taken them to be the same chap.

Offline Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 April 21 23:38 BST (UK) »
It's an interesting family - your question made me think about all the carriers (higglers) listed in the county directories and how successful they could be. I wonder what their social status was in the mid-1800s ...

Let us know if you get hold of John's death cert.

Helen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 April 21 03:04 BST (UK) »
They all trickle down to two marriages in one way or another and the same name appearing as an executor. I could have ignored probate records and never noticed his name cropping up repeatedly but now I'm curious and the death cert will get ordered in the next week or two. It'll teach me not to assume the initial thoughts I had on the news cuttings either. I walked right into that one like a complete newbie  ;D