Author Topic: The Adelaide Brickwall - possibly Black Patch Gypsy  (Read 7504 times)

Offline rustyh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Adelaide Brickwall - possibly Black Patch Gypsy
« Reply #135 on: Friday 16 April 21 08:28 BST (UK) »
Take a day off looking now and then; it's far too easy to get consumed and overwhelmed with so much info to sift through!

Your definately not wrong there, its taken over my life a little!

and go the DNA route and hope you run into a Hall that is on your list.

How does this DNA route work?
They cant know the DNA of those in the past can they?
Is there a service thats recommend in terms of DNA privacy etc

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Friday 16 April 21 08:51 BST (UK) »

How does this DNA route work?
They cant know the DNA of those in the past can they?
Is there a service thats recommend in terms of DNA privacy etc

I think the basic way it works is that if your dna matches other peoples dna that have made family trees, IF their tree is accurate, you should be related to someone in their tree.  I have not gone that route, so that is only my assumption.  There is a dedicated section for DNA here on Rootschat that could help you, if you get to that point:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/ancestral-family-tree-dna-testing/

Offline rustyh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Thursday 06 January 22 21:01 GMT (UK) »
A very good evening to all,

I hope all is well

Its been a long long time (8 months!!) since I posted on this thread in regards to the long struggle I was having in finding out about my Great Grandmother, Adelaide Harrison
Those who posted and helped in this thread may remember, as we were all tearing our hair out!
We never did conclude in finding her past.

But now the 1921 census has been released, I can throw another spanner in the works!!

Now, Adelaide was born in 1900, and she married my Great Grandfather in 1919. On the marriage cert, she is down as Adelaide Hall, with a father call William Hall.
So I have been endlessly searching for Adelaide Hall.

Having now got a copy of the 1921 census as below, its seems she was down as "Broadhead", and her parents were Thomas and Amy! The broadhead has been scribbled out, as she married my Great Grandfather in 1919.

I am confident this is the right census page as many of the data points tick the box, such as Names, Sons Name, Places, and Jobs.
Also, I was told of a story that Adelaide used to mention a well known horse dealer called Billy Broadhead. (Not sure how Billy and Thomas match up though)

So everything lines up.

BUT, does anyone have any suggestions on why she would be down as Adelaide Hall on the marriage Cert, with a fathers name of William Hall.

Also, could this new information also render the 1901 census of 1yr old Adelaide Hall living in Handsworth, invalid?

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Friday 07 January 22 20:03 GMT (UK) »
if you look back at reply 20, MonicaL gave a link to the 1911 census for Adelaide Broadhead aged 11 with father Tom & mother Amy.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline rustyh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Thursday 13 January 22 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Apologies, your right, just got a bit excited with having the 1921 information as further confirmation.

So all you work seem to be right and matching up.

The 1921 census confirms you were right that Amy was her mom, and that Amy married Thomas Broadhead.

I also have the Marriage cert for Thomas and Amy, and the information is as follows,

Marriage 1914
Thomas Broadhead, 33 Years Old, Widower
Living at 12 High Park Street
His father was also Thomas Broadhead

Amy Smith, 32 Years Old, Spinster
Living at 12 High Park Street
Her father is John Smith (deceased)

So I think this pretty much confirms your findings that Amys parents are John Smith and Caroline Smith (nee Lovell)

As you also found, Adelaide was staying with her Grandparents in 1901 at Blackpatch. Amy is also there and as single. Adelaide is down as Adelaide Hall.

I am none the closer, and have a feeling I never will be, in finding William Hall, who is down as her father on the marriage cert.

Do you think there are any other ways of finding and connecting this William Hall, or do you think its one that is lost forever?

Offline rustyh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Thursday 13 January 22 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Got to throw a spanner in the works though, in the 1939 census, Amy has a birth date of 4th June 1881, but the Baptism record of her with parents John and Caroline is 1880!