Author Topic: New Ancestry hints help  (Read 4058 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New Ancestry hints help
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 17 April 21 09:43 BST (UK) »
'Also, not one of my sources is an Ancestry tree.'

That's good as it means that you have done your own research, which is where I'd much rather take a hint from than from a copied tree.

In terms of sources it's good that you are now attaching them retrospectively but much easier if done at the time the fact is added.  Personally I would still go for the trees with attached sources as I can verify them.

Pheno

it would have been but still seemed like a big task at the time as when I started my ancestry account I already had boxes of sources.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: New Ancestry hints help
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 22 April 21 22:59 BST (UK) »
The hints themselves are the same mixture as before, with "Ancestry Trees" always being first, no matter how awful they are.

The new bit is that clicking on Hints at the top of a profile no longer takes you to the list of hints, but instead slaps a confusion over the right hand side of the window.

Personally I am in the habit of using right-click and Open-new-tab, which still works as before.

This has been introduced in order to prove that their "web designers" are doing something and thus can avoid being made redundant. It is standard in the industry to change the design of websites, with the claim that the new one is "fresh" and "modern". The sites very rarely become more usable, often losing features which users previously found essential, and making other features harder to find or use.

About 8 years ago BT changed their webmail interface twice in a year. I decided that rather than spend half a week getting my aunt familiar with the new layout and inevitably yet another one a few months later, I moved her over to an offline mail reader, which she is still happy with aged 94.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.