Author Topic: Disguising illegitimacy on birth certificate  (Read 2112 times)

Offline markheal

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Disguising illegitimacy on birth certificate
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 08 May 21 17:11 BST (UK) »
Family fibs:
I was told that a whole sibling group had been born in India 'on the wrong side of the blanket' and then abandoned by the wealthy 'father' to poverty in London.  This would, they thought, explain why they could never find their own civil birth records!  Luckily, I cracked this brickwall when they were all found on the Hanwell and Southwark censuses with a different surname.
ANSTRUTHER,Worldwide
BENNETT,
BRETT, Sligo
CARNEGIE,
CROCKFORD, Hampshire.
ELLIOT,
GAUNTLETT, Worldwide
HEAL, HEALE, HELE, Chew Magna, Somerset
HENRY, Sligo
MABEY, Dorset
O'HANLON
POPE, London docklands,
STANDERWICK, Somerset,
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 08 May 21 17:16 BST (UK) »
Not a direct ancestor but one of my twigs I was researching this afternoon. The couple married on 1917. Have a son in  late 1917. The husband gets killed in May 1918 on board a navy ship. Wife has another son in 1920. She is still a widow on the 1939 register. I wonder who the real father is?
Regards
Panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 08 May 21 17:33 BST (UK) »
It's sad that rifts in one generation lead to alienation in another. Seems many tell lies, too. A friend found that his uncles and aunts had told their children that his parents weren't married, when his father had divorced his first wife and remarried. Another person in his family, told a woman that her deceased father was illegitimate, when all that had happened was the mother became pregnant and married when 4-6 months gone.

So it seems there are people who go out of their way to try to legitimise their children and other people who try to de-legitimise legitimate children out of spite.

In my case the children from the marriage turned up after their mothers death hoping that she had 'left a few bob and they wanted their share', they seemed to think that their mother owned the house that the family were living in. In actual fact they hadn't a pot to pee in as the saying goes  ::)
So yes, spite and probably hurt on their part that their mother had left them when they were all small children, gone on to have another happy family, and they wanted, well, what, revenge?  All very sad .
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins