Author Topic: Does family history get to you sometimes?  (Read 5397 times)

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Does family history get to you sometimes?
« Reply #36 on: Friday 23 April 21 12:41 BST (UK) »

In the countryside they would have had clean air to breathe, clean water to drink and often a bit of garden to grow a few vegetables and keep some chickens or even a pig.
In contrast living in the city meant polluted air & water and overcrowded living conditions.

Of course, Thetford was the exception that proved the rule. For the longest time the infant mortality in Thetford was higher than Whitechapel (which was one of the most deprived places in the country). 

It seems the Aldermen approved the abstraction of drinking water DOWNSTREAM from where effluent was deposited. Locally, diarrhoea was known as the Thetford Trotts. Luckily for the town, WWI arrived with many hundreds of men and a new borehole was dug on the other side of town, away from the river. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 23 April 21 15:02 BST (UK) »
"a bit of garden"

Well, they were farmers so they had more than just "a bit of a garden."  They had a full range of vegetables and fruit trees.  And they had livestock - a few cows, pigs, sheep, poultry.  And they could hunt and fish if they were so inclined.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Maid of Kent

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 23 April 21 16:00 BST (UK) »
Sadly many women in my family have suffered from eclampsia, this condition has led to death of babies and mothers. The last being my grt grandmother who lost 3 babies and died in childbirth, one if her babies survived.
Kidney,Kitney Detling Stockbury Chatham. Wenham Biddenden. Waltham.  Pemble Birchington/St Peters. Sibun Medway Chatham/Gravesend

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 23 April 21 16:38 BST (UK) »
  "a bit of garden"

"Well, they were farmers so they had more than just "a bit of a garden."  They had a full range of vegetables and fruit trees.  And they had livestock - a few cows, pigs, sheep, poultry.  And they could hunt and fish if they were so inclined."

Erato, I don't think you are talking about 19th C. England here! Most country people were farm labourers rather than farmers, with a garden but few animals, and they certainly could not hunt and fish.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 23 April 21 16:58 BST (UK) »
England isn't the only reference point.  I did specify North America when I speculated that conditions were better in the countryside and I referenced four sets of American gg-grandparents.  My grandfather described what a typical, small  family farm was like when he was a boy in south central Wisconsin in the 1880s:

"The farming was largely subsistence.  People took their grain to the grist mills and had it ground into flour.  The grains taken were wheat, rye, maize, and buckwheat.  Almost everyone had a patch of sugar cane [=sorghum].  There were squashes, pie pumpkins, rutabagas, beets, carrots and cabbage to be put away with the potatoes in the cellar.  During the summer, apples had been dried, sweet corn dried, jams and jellies made, and some had begun to can fruits in mason jars.  By my day, most every farm had an orchard with apple trees and sometimes with cherries and plums.  Everyone expected to grow their own strawberries and many had currents, gooseberries, raspberries and blackberries.  All farms had cows, fowls, turkeys and hogs; many had geese and some had ducks.  The hogs were butchered; hams and bacon smoked in the smoke house, and lard made in quantity.  Milk, butter and cottage cheese were produced in sufficient amounts.  As an addition to the diet, most of the farmers did some hunting and fishing.  Many looked for wild berries and expeditions were made into the scrub pine regions further north in the blueberry season.  Most of the farms had a melon patch where they grew both watermelons and muskmelons.  In the fall, hazelnuts and hickory nuts were sought and put away for winter use as was a stock of pop corn.  Most every farm had sheep.  Most of the wool was sold but, in many houses, there were spinning wheels and the women had cards and teasel.  They knit socks, mittens, scarves, and caps.  Wool was an excellent substitute for cotton in making comforters and quilts.  Those who had geese plucked them in season and the feathers acquired made the best pillow filling."
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 23 April 21 18:04 BST (UK) »
Most of my Suffolk ancestors lived to a ripe old age, as others say, the cleaner air and very little pollution. I have been to several villages in Suffolk where my ancestors lived in the 1700s and 1800s, and they are very peaceful and tranquil. Easton, Letheringham and Hacheston in mid east Suffolk. One Easton ancestor was a labourer and gamekeeper in the 1850s. Most were millers, farm labourers or small time farmers.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 15:01 BST (UK) »
With regard to why some people/families had to enter the workhouse, if it's at all possible then visit one: I know that several have been preserved and you can often find out a lot about the people that were there.  the NT has the one at Southwell in Notts and it is extremely interesting to learn the history of actual people from the extant records.  Some people would go there when they were out of work for a while: as they had to work to earn their keep, it was not too degrading and then, when they found work, they would leave again.  This might happen to whole families too but the wives and husbands (separated while living there) would work and the children would be educated in the mornings and have to perform 'light duties' in the afternoon. 
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 15:59 BST (UK) »
The Southwell one is really an example of the very very best that might be encountered. Very often it was a far more degrading experience than you suggest.
Also, often the "Workhouse" was for many, the elderly and the ill, the only option, and simply because someone dies in the Workhouse doesn't always mean that they'd been a long term inmate; the Workhouses were for many the only hospitals, rather as the monasteries had served several centuries before, until Henry VIII got at them.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 16:29 BST (UK) »
Yes, I know Southwell was quite 'good' (would probably reach "Outstanding" under Ofsted rules!) but nonetheless, the workhouses did tend to keep quite good records and might help some people to understand why their rellies were there.  All in all, it was a bad experience but in a lot of cases, much better than being on the streets!  At least they would have a roof over their heads, if not much food/comfort.
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee