Author Topic: The Duke of Edinburgh has passed away  (Read 5848 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Duke of Edinburgh has passed away
« Reply #54 on: Friday 16 April 21 11:57 BST (UK) »
Yes, Guy, and as he comes through as not a self seeker perhaps he would be embarrassed ,but there were tremendous achievements .
I just wonder if some of those complaining would do so had it been a so called celebrity,you know one of the celebrities many of us have never heard of!
Many of his achievements I had never heard about ,so just for a little while surely we can be tolerant .
It will do us no harm at all.
Some people are truly pathetic!
Viktoria.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 16 April 21 12:00 BST (UK) »
Just a reminder:

There is a choice though for Sports/non Sports programmes and it was the lack of choice, albeit only for one night, that some people had objections.

It wasn’t disrespect for the Duke and the Royal family, it was the same item being broadcast on all available channels.

I agree, at one point I turned over and thought my remote wasn't working as the programme stayed exactly the same. By the evening it was the same thing repeated several times as well.

I think the Duke would have said - 'Get on with it'
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 16 April 21 18:53 BST (UK) »
I have Freeview TV and there seemed to be many other channels devoting their time to broadcasting the death, plus the life and times of Prince Philip.

The BBC's response to the viewers who complained about Master Chef final being pulled was this:-

"“We do not make such changes without careful consideration and the decisions made reflect the role the BBC plays as the national broadcaster, during moments of national significance.”

This statement reminded me of the years sat listening to the news readers who sent coded messages to foreign underground resistance movements, that went something like:  "Aunt Betty is sending you a cake she has baked", etc. etc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49562570
A new archive has revealed the BBC's role in secret activities during World War Two, including sending coded messages to European resistance groups.

Documents and interviews, released by BBC History, include plans to replace Big Ben's chimes with a recorded version in the event of an air attack.

This would ensure the Germans did not know their planes were over Westminster.

BBC programmers would also play music to contact Polish freedom fighters.

Using the codename "Peter Peterkin", a government representative would provide staff with a particular piece that would be broadcast following the Polish news service.

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke