Author Topic: Diary > Monday 12th April  (Read 1496 times)

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 12th April
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 07:51 BST (UK) »
Ruskie - pleased to hear that the Tens machine has given your daughter relief... my Mum used to use one for her knee and it did help for a while...
Shame the Labradoodles house is up for sale.... maybe you’ll get another doggy owner move in!

Diana - how wonderful that your keys have been found... I’m sure we have something similar in this country re purchasing a tag .... always a relief to get them returned though... we ‘lost’ a set of keys for our three patio doors some years back and were on the verge of contacting the company for new locks, if someone had got hold of them they could have got into the house... I was digging in the compost bin turning it into the empty one when I got a glint of metal... taking a shovel I lifted out the mixture and when I ran my hands through it there were the patio keys! No idea how they got there but it was a relief to have found them!
Your new puzzles sound lovely and having just looked up the artist they make wonderful pictures.... keep you busy!

Regarding the children’s adventure fort ... my friend said it was arson but by whom I’ve no idea... the local yobs I expect! Such a dreadful thing to do...

I enjoy cooking and sometimes wished I’d got a large family nearby I could do it all for! I have The Good Food magazine once a month and there are lots of wonderful recipes in them...

Caroline

Added - MH - sorry that your beautiful area is now going to be invaded by the rest of the country! The lockdowns have some benefits for the normal tourist areas!
I expect it must be a shock to now see people from out of the area when generally you’ve had it to yourselves...
The trouble is that all the businesses need the trade for the area to survive so it’s a bit of a double edge sword! My OH would love us to move to Dorset, Devon or Somerset.... I love all the areas especially those near the sea but not sure I want to be amongst tourists in the summer....

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 08:53 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, had similar problem yesterday. Battery has been a bit sluggish but I have kept the car going and more recently on decent trips just to be safe but yesterday took OH for a hair appointment and when she came out I couldn't start the car. I think I must have drained what little was left in the battery listening to the radio whilst I was waiting.
Adding insult to injury I could not get my mobile phone to work either and OH had to go back into the hairdresser to beg a telphone call to our friend Mary to come and rescue us. Eventually got a mechanic (friend of Nick's) to get the thing started and he will be around later today with a new battery and also fix one or two other things.
I subsequently found that my mobile phone was out of credit...I hardly use it and did not realise it was also low on "juice".
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 09:29 BST (UK) »
Morning all
Re car batteries, we were told a couple of years ago by RAC that cars need to be started and run for a minimum of 20 minutes, once a week at least without the heater/ heated rear windscreen /lights on in order to keep it charged. In lockdown one when we couldn't go anywhere, I used to sit in the car and read a book for 20 minutes while I kept the engine running and battery charged. Needless to say I was very well wrapped up! May not have been good for the environment, but I needed to know that when I needed the car itd start.
North East of England

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 13:06 BST (UK) »
Typed out a lengthy (for me) post in the early hours and when I went to post it - zilch, it vanished.   Was so mad I wanted to spit!!!

So, now a shortened version.

Had 1pm hair appointment - sorely needed, believe me.  So nice to get it cut and emerge looking like me again.  What amazed me most of all was the traffic on the roads.   On the few occasions I've been out lately (dentist mainly) the roads were fairly quiet as one would expect.   I know there was a lifting of restrictions for us yesterday but the roads were manic!   Just like it was before we ever had a lockdown a year ago.   Was quite shocked.

Yes, Roobarb, you must start up your car at least once a week, even if you go nowhere.   I was advised to do this early on in the first lockdown.   Even if you only drive round the block a few times - at least you don't have to mask up or encounter anyone.

Glad you were feeling a lot better today, Caroline - must admit I'm getting a bit anxious because my 2nd. jab is on Sunday.   Anxious because mine is the Astra-Zeneca one that's been highlighted of late.

Good to read the posts from those in New Zealand, Canada and Australia and how this pandemic has impacted on you.   Not to mention the difference in temperatures compared to the UK.   I hate the cold so winter is not my friend - yesterday temperature 10C but it was a beautiful sunny day and temp. in car was 14C.   So lovely to feel the sunshine through the windscreen.

Best wishes to all and continue to stay safe.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 14:23 BST (UK) »
I find that car batteries these days just die without warning. This has happened to me three times. Luckily each time I was in my driveway at home. On each occasion I had been driving around without any problems earlier in the day. The last time however, like you Jeff, I noticed it had been slightly sluggish, but no clues at all the other times.  :)

I hope they find the culprits who destroyed the fort Caroline. These days I think boasting on social media can sometimes give the game away, so hopefully they will give the game away.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 15:58 BST (UK) »
Caroline, I'm really sorry to hear about what's happened to the fort, there seems to have been such a lot of vandalism reported in a lot of places, particularly arson. A few days ago some idiots tried to burn down the cafe in one of our local parks. They seem to think that being bored in lockdown excuses this kind of behaviour, or actually I think they just don't care.  >:(
I'm sure your friends will appreciate your cake making skills.  :)

Ruskie, thanks for info, my friend will have the instrument to check the battery, also battery chargers I could use. He's told me several times that I should take the car out for a run regularly and I'm afraid it's just gone out of my head.  :-[ I used to (in the olden days!  ;)) drive my car nearly every day, never had any bother with it whatsoever. I've given myself a slap on the wrist!
I didn't go to the nurseries, it was getting late and I thought I'd save it for another day as I'd had some company as a different distraction.
I think if I was to put a sign up in the woods it wouldn't be quite as polite as that.  ;D Seriously though, I don't think they'd even notice it or if they did they'd add it to the bonfire. You might actually be right about 85 year old Jim, or similar at least.
Good to hear that your daughter has got some pain relief. What a shame about the labradoodle, I feel as if I almost know him.

Great news about the keys Diana and how kind of you to buy a gift card for the finder, that must have been a lovely surprise for her.

MH, oh dear, probably just the start of the invasion of the thoughtless tourists. I hope things improve when they get over the novelty of the pubs being open. 

Oh dear Jeff, what a carry on, hope everything is now sorted.

Candleflame, I do need to take a leaf out of your book and do as I'm told! I've taken it for a run around today, it started first time as it always did pre pandemic.

A great relief to you to get your hair done Annette. My friend mentioned how much traffic there was here too, he also said that a lot of people seemed to have forgotten how to drive! I don't think you have any need to worry about the vaccine, the number of news items on this have scared people but when you look at the figures it puts it into perspective.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 16:05 BST (UK) »
All fixed. New battery..the old one was really on its last legs and would not even make an attempt at turning the engine this morning. But Nick's mate fixed it in no time and did one or two other little jobs for me.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 18:52 BST (UK) »
That's great Jeff, and even better that it was one of Nick's mates who did it.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 10:20 BST (UK) »
Just trying to catch up a little ..

During the early hours of Sunday morning I saw the snow falling.
On my way home I saw that most of this had melted in the sunlight and there was just sprinklings here and there.  Felt so tired when I got in after that last shift of the block and although it felt like a waste of a beautiful day I wanted nothing more than to go straight to bed after my cup of tea and cereal.  I slept for most of the day.

Monday - I woke up feeling in quite a joyful, hopeful mood.  A date is agreed upon for me to meet up with my Son, Daughter in law and Grandson  and to go for a walk when all of our days off coincide in a couple of weeks.
I ring my hairdresser and feel a bit of relief when she answers the phone. I am so glad she is still in business, after all.  I was hoping to get an appointment straightaway but it wasn't possible.  However, I did manage to get one for later in the week - so my months of shame on the hair front is nearing an end, thank goodness!
I receive news that our Church building is going to reopen in May all being well. Also, the big reveal about who our new pastor will be has been given.  The 'Elders' sound very enthusiastic about him and I am sure he will be very good, otherwise he would not have been appointed.  I will miss our old Pastor though and still can't help wishing things would be the same when we all return.
I went to my favourite breadshop in the morning - not the one that closed down  but the other one in the same company which is a slightly further walk away.  This shop is even bigger and better, as it turns out, to the one I have been going to for many years.
En route, I look at the passing buses.  These are meant to be increasing in number to cope with the rise of people returning to work.  However, the buses don't seem as if they are very full but then again I had missed the rush hour when I was out walking.
I then went to the library.  Oh!  It felt so good to be able to go back inside and browse titles on the shelves.  I haven't used the library for a good while now as the idea of 'click and collect' has held no appeal.  I went in for one book but came out with three.  I could easily have got more as they have lots of new, interesting titles but I managed to restrain myself.  Oh!  I felt like a kid in a sweet shop! :D
I also pass a couple of barber shops, both have really long queues.
I walked via the cemetery on way home and got some more photos for Find A Grave including some that others have asked me to find.
In the afternoon, I pottered around the house and did some gardening and got the grass cut.  I am not really too fond of gardening and I was glad when it started to rain and I felt this a good excuse to finish up.
I looked over my library books in the evening trying to decide what to read first.  In a newspaper I see a Tesco advert telling people that pubs have had it tough this past year, and so, for just once, they are asking people to support them.  I find myself unexpectedly tearing up and feeling choked emotionally at the thought of all who have suffered loss of work and income and I feel immensely thankful that my Son, Daughter in law and I have been able to continue working and have had a semi normal life.
Went to bed early as I felt tired - I rarely feel anything else.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner