Author Topic: HELP!! With which family to follow?!?!  (Read 1783 times)

Offline alillyston

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!! With which family to follow?!?!
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 15 April 21 19:05 BST (UK) »
Also, yes the last thread on this fizzled out after I posted some follow up information that was requested. It seems to have been received here more negatively.

Hi alillyston, I don't think it has been received more negatively this time - the negativity last time was demonstrated by people simply ignoring it - this time we've tried to explain why.

The information is great - the problem is all of the superfluous 'headers and footers' etc that make it hard to see the wood for the trees.  I had to copy/paste it into Word & then delete huge chunks of it before I could even begin to help.

I'm not sure how else we could explain that without it sounding negative to you?

Anyway, I'm pleased its led to some new information, although I do now wonder whether the parents were Thomas & Jane, Thomas & Rebecca, Rebecca & a previous partner, or a combination of these  ???  Its certainly puzzling that only two of the children can be traced under the Lillystone surname after 1841.

I didn't see it as negative at first it was just that people kept saying it lol. I really thankful for the help !

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 15 April 21 19:07 BST (UK) »
Fair enough  ;D

It might be worth getting both of these birth certificates to see if they shed any light on things:

LILLYSTONE, MARY ANN mmn HOGDEN  GRO Reference: 1837  S Quarter in STEPNEY  Volume 02  Page 224
LILLYSTONE, JOHN  mmn WILMOT  GRO Reference: 1839  S Quarter in STEPNEY  Volume 02  Page 414

John died shortly after birth:
LILLYSTONE, JOHN  aged 0  GRO Reference: 1839  S Quarter in STEPNEY  Volume 02  Page 353
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 18 April 21 00:53 BST (UK) »

Yeah it is puzzling. I have noticed how the name Lillyston changes throughout the research I've done.

My name is Lillyston and it changes on different certificates and sometimes it changes between Lillyston and lillystone throughout just one person's life.

One thing I'm trying to find is the oldest true spelling of the name so I can find out what the surname is supposed to be.

There were variant spellings of most surnames in 19th century and earlier records.
 Some people didn't know how to spell their surnames. Whoever was writing their names on a document, (e.g. clergyman, parish clerk, registrar, clerk, lawyer, neighbour) decided how to spell it if the name's holder didn't know. Another scribe might spell the same person's surname differently on another occasion. I've even seen different spellings on the same document.
Chances of variations might have increased when a person who couldn't spell their surname moved to a new place. Faced with a name uncommon in the area + a non-local accent, a scribe would write what s/he heard.   
The longer the surname, the more scope for variety. However there were different spellings for even short, simple names.  Lamb was one of the commonest surnames in the parish where my Lamb ancestors lived for hundreds of years until 1800s. Surname was occasionally Lambe and Lam in early church registers.   
Cowban