Author Topic: Leach/Parker/Parkin Family - A Mistress?  (Read 1415 times)

Offline bfrance99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leach/Parker/Parkin Family - A Mistress?
« on: Saturday 17 April 21 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, this is my first post on here so I'm sorry if I've posted in the wrong area, but I'm hoping that someone can help me shed light on what seems to be a confusing situation. This is quite a long post as it's a complicated situation, so apologies for that!

I am researching a relative, Annie May Parker (born on 10 January 1907 according to the 1939 Register). She married George Willis France in 1930 in Sheffield. I know from talking to relatives that Annie May was not born in Sheffield (although possibly still in the Yorkshire area) but no-one quite knew where she was born, so I reached a barrier where I couldn't work out who her parents were or where she was born.

It wasn't until I came across the Sheffield Indexers website where I found the parish record of Annie May and George's marriage - her father is listed as William Parker (fireman) and her address was 51 Bloor Street, Sheffield. More interestingly, she was listed as Annie May Leach Parker, which I hadn't come across before. I also found Annie May France and George Willis France's burial record, and their grave is shared with William Parker (b. 1865 approx) and Louisa Parker (b. 1878 approx), who I am assuming are her parents.

I then started trying to find a William Parker, a Louisa Parker and an Annie May Parker at the same address in the 1911 census, but nothing quite fit, until I eventually came across a census record from Huddersfield. She wasn't listed as Annie May Parker, but as Annie May Leach, and was described as a 'niece' to William Parker. William Parker was married to Annie Parker (instead of a Louisa Parker) and they had a number of children together (May Parker, Gertrude Parker, Nellie Parker, Louisa Parker, Willie Parker and Lily Parker). Annie May also had (presumably) a sister called Harriet Leach (b. 1903 approx), who was also listed as a 'niece'.

I found a parish record of Harriet's baptism (she was actually born in 1902) where her mother is listed as Louisa Leach, and no father's details are provided. Louisa's occupation is 'single woman'. I haven't found a parish record of Annie May's baptism, but on the Birth Registration Index, her mother's maiden name is listed as Leach, so presumably it is also Louisa.

As far as I can see, there is no Louisa Leach that relates to either William Parker or Annie Parker. I haven't verified this yet, but I think Annie Parker's maiden name was Ely.

I tried to find other records of the Parker family, like from the 1901 census and the 1891 census, but I couldn't find anything. I felt like I was at another dead end - it was as though the family had just not existed before 1911. I remembered that I had the baptism record of Harriet Leach, and it said that she was born at 3 Broad Oaks Lane. I had a look at other baptisms recorded at this address, and there was a record of a Dorothy Vera Leach born in 1901 at the same address, also with her mother listed as Louisa, a 'single woman' (Dorothy Vera then sadly died at 4 months old according to a burial record).

I decided to have a look at the 1901 census for this address, and sure enough, I found a Louisa Leach. She was listed as a 'visitor' and her age was 23 (so approximately born in 1878). And strangely enough, she was living with the Parkin family - William Parkin, Annie Parkin, May Parkin, Gertrude Parkin, Nellie Parkin, Louisa Parkin and Willie Parkin. The details exactly matched the Parker family, and explained why I couldn't find them. I couldn't understand why she was listed as a visitor at the address though, since she was obviously living there more permanently as in 1902 she gave birth to Harriet. Also, if she was related to either William or Annie, wouldn't the relationship be listed as 'sister' or 'sister-in-law'?

What's more, her age matches the age of Louisa Parker who is buried with William Parker and Annie May France. Could this be the same person?

I had a look for marriage records of Louisa Leach and sure enough, I found that in 1936, she married a William Parkin. I also found Louisa Leach in the 1911 census, and she was also in Huddersfield, merely a half an hour's walk away from the Parker/Parkin family.

My theory is that Louisa was some sort of mistress to William Parker/Parkin, and explains why she was listed as their 'visitor' in the 1911 census and why William Parker allowed Harriet and Annie May to remain living with him, since he was their biological father. His name was probably not listed as a father on a birth/baptism record since he was already married to someone else. Yet surely this living situation must have been incredibly abnormal at the time (it would be abnormal now!), since Annie would have surely known about the infidelity. I am curious to know if anyone has come across the Leach/Parker/Parkin family before, or if not, what their thoughts are on this situation?

I am also still confused as to whether William Parker's last name was actually Parker or whether it was Parkin. In some records (e.g. his burial record, his record on the Death Registration Index) it is Parker, yet in others (e.g. 1901 census, marriage record) it is Parkin!

Apologies again for the long post, and many thanks for taking the time to read it.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Leach/Parker/Parkin Family - A Mistress?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 April 21 10:42 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat bfrance  :D

Yes, quite a bit of a tangle of relationships here  ::)

Right, as a start I am putting info re the 1901 census for anyone to check

Registration district   Sheffield
Archive reference   RG13
Piece number   4384
Folio   29
Page   8

Shows William and Annie with their children plus Louisa

Below I assume is the marriage as Parkin

Marriages Sep 1886 
LEACH    Annie        Wakefield    9c   58    
PARKIN    William        Wakefield    9c   58
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 April 21 10:47 BST (UK) »
So William and Annie living here in 1891 Halliday Row, Alverthorpe and Thornes, Wakefield, Yorkshire

William is a Brewer born 1865 Wakefield.  They have their daughter May with them.

Registration district   Wakefield
Archive reference   RG12
Piece number   3753
Folio   20
Page   34

I'm going to go back to the 1881 and see if I can find William there.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 April 21 10:51 BST (UK) »
This looks like William in 1881 still with the surname Parkin.  Living here Horbury Road, Alverthorpe with Thornes, Wakefield, Yorkshire

Still Averthorpe with Thornes as in 1891.

William is with his mother Mary, a widow and older brother Walter.

Archive reference   RG11
Piece number   4582
Folio   42
Page   33

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 April 21 10:56 BST (UK) »
Looks like Annie and Louisa are probably sisters.

LEACH, ANNIE       HAIGH 
GRO Reference: 1866  D Quarter in WAKEFIELD UNION  Volume 09C  Page 12

LEACH, LOUISA       HAIGH 
GRO Reference: 1877  D Quarter in WAKEFIELD UNION  Volume 09C  Page 16

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 April 21 11:02 BST (UK) »
I decided to have a look at the 1901 census for this address, and sure enough, I found a Louisa Leach. She was listed as a 'visitor' and her age was 23 (so approximately born in 1878). And strangely enough, she was living with the Parkin family - William Parkin, Annie Parkin, May Parkin, Gertrude Parkin, Nellie Parkin, Louisa Parkin and Willie Parkin. The details exactly matched the Parker family, and explained why I couldn't find them. I couldn't understand why she was listed as a visitor at the address though, since she was obviously living there more permanently as in 1902 she gave birth to Harriet. Also, if she was related to either William or Annie, wouldn't the relationship be listed as 'sister' or 'sister-in-law'?
The census, and indeed the birth registration, only show where a person was at a particular time. If the person wasn't normally in the household then they would be listed as 'visitor' rather than by family relationship.
My grandfather's aunt listed her nephew in 1911 census as 'visitor' since he was just staying with her for a while.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 April 21 11:07 BST (UK) »
Right the 1871 and 1881 census show John and Louisa Leach with their children.  1871 has Annie (1867) and Christiana (1871)

Archive reference   RG10
Piece number   4617
Folio   117
Page   1

1881 has Christiana and Louisa together so that establishes the connection between Annie and Louisa.

Archive reference   RG11
Piece number   4573
Folio   179
Page   40

Do you have the marriage certificate for Annie and William?  Did Louisa ever marry William?

So far back to 1881 we have William as Parkin.  I'll check the 1871 for William and see what comes up.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 April 21 11:48 BST (UK) »
I've come up with this one for 1871 but not completely sure that it is the right one.

Living here Dunfields Court, Sheffield, Yorkshire - Frederick and Mary Parkin with Walter (1862) and William (1867).

I think these are the birth records for William and Walter

PARKIN, WILLIAM       BROWN 
GRO Reference: 1864  S Quarter in WAKEFIELD UNION  Volume 09C  Page 48

PARKIN, WALTER       BROWN 
GRO Reference: 1860  D Quarter in HUDDERSFIELD  Volume 09A  Page 332

Can't seem to find any marriage between a Frederick Parkin and a Mary Brown so just bear the above in mind as possibilities.  I'll see if I can find any baptism records.

Offline bfrance99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 April 21 12:05 BST (UK) »
Looks like Annie and Louisa are probably sisters.

LEACH, ANNIE       HAIGH 
GRO Reference: 1866  D Quarter in WAKEFIELD UNION  Volume 09C  Page 12

LEACH, LOUISA       HAIGH 
GRO Reference: 1877  D Quarter in WAKEFIELD UNION  Volume 09C  Page 16

Yes it does look like from that info as though Annie and Louisa are sisters, thank you for finding these sources!

I don’t have any certificates in relation to this family but I may order some if I can’t progress any further without them.

Yes I believe William did marry Louisa, as I have found a record of a William Parkin marrying a Louisa Leach in Sheffield, Yorkshire in 1937. Volume 9c Page 1371. This is shortly before William’s death in 1938 in Sheffield.

So it seems he married the two sisters? Did he divorce Annie or did she die? I will see if I can find some burial or death information.

I wonder if William is the biological father of Harriet and Annie May.

Many thanks for your help.