Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 17th April  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Saturday 17th April
« on: Sunday 18 April 21 00:32 BST (UK) »
Not as cold today but cloudier. It was quiet again when I went for my walk, it was pleasant enough out but I just felt like I couldn't be bothered with it. Came home and did a couple of useful jobs around the house then drove round to the petrol station and bought a newspaper. It's the first time I've bought one in over a year and as I paid for it in cash that was a first too, haven't paid for anything in cash since March 2020. I wasn't particularly wanting to read the news but I like the TV guide that comes with the Saturday paper. The articles had obviously been selected some time ago as there was a large section about Prince William and Kate whose tenth wedding anniversary is at the end of the month. Of course the newspaper itself had lots about Prince Philip's funeral and his life.

I did a bit of tidying outside then sat reading for a short time, I wanted to watch the main part of the funeral but not all of it. My neighbours had their doors open and I could hear the TV, it was obviously the coverage of what was happening  prior to the funeral and I could hear music playing. First there was I Vow to Thee My Country which left me with a lump in my throat then Jerusalem, which brought tears. Came inside to watch the funeral procession, how hard it must have been for the children and grandchildren to walk with the coffin. And physically hard for the coffin bearers having to stand halfway up the steps for the minute’s silence. The Queen looked so alone sitting there, it was very touching.
I wonder how much coverage was given to it around the world.

Composed myself and went back outside to do a bit of gardening, it had clouded over by then. Came in after a while and changed my Tesco order for tomorrow, also ordered a necklace for a friend's birthday.

Caught up with two episodes of Doc Martin in the evening.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 17th April
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 April 21 01:14 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, sounds like you are getting and doing things again, I too have not used cash since last March.
The funeral was fully covered in Canada, I had to record it though, as it was OH’s vaccine day.  It came on at 10 a.m. and his appointment was at 10:30.  We had about a 20 minute drive downtown. I stayed in the car, parking lot was quite busy, he said it was well organized and everything moved along quickly.  Including his recovery time, he was in and out in about 25 minutes.
I watched the funeral this afternoon and was also touched by I Vow to Thee, My Country which makes me think of Princess Diana’s funeral.  The first hymn the choir sang seemed familiar so might have sung it in my youth at church (Anglican).  I thought the procession was dignified and moving.  Just too bad the funeral was not more public for people to line up, etc., but the royal family might be appreciative of a quiet goodbye for Prince Philip.  I know CNN in the US covered it in segments, and NBC one of US main networks devoted a bit of time at the beginning of the evening news.  Of course they had to get into the whole Meghan thing...
My other news is that I have got an earlier slot for my vaccination - Monday morning, 9 days ahead of my original one.  I now will be getting it done at a pharmacy and it looks like they are giving AstraZeneca.  OH had Pfizer.
We have been put into a more severe lockdown in Ontario.  Kids are off in-person school for at least 5 more weeks, distance learning only. Most stores are closed, sports facilities, hair cutters, etc.  We are only supposed to go out for exercise.
 Weather really up and down here.  Typical spring weather this weekend but supposed to go down to 3 on Tuesday. 

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 April 21 02:11 BST (UK) »
Another beautiful sunny day - I watched the funeral from 2.30 until 3.30 and then went outside to put some plants in pots (my neighbour had got them for me).   Three of my neighbours were already sitting outside enjoying the sun and when I'd done the pots I joined them for about an hour.   Once we were in the shade it got quite chilly so we each retreated indoors.

My sister phoned and had a nice chat with her and then it was time for my meal.   Had a relaxing evening - should have carried on knitting but was simply not in the mood.

Got my second jab at 12.45 tomorrow - told the after effects of the 2nd. one are worse than the first.   We will see.

As things now easing for us in the UK (thank heavens) sad to read that Canada now entering a lockdown.  I have a friend who lives in London, Ontario so will have to see how they are doing.

Whatever the situation where you live, continue to stay safe.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 April 21 02:50 BST (UK) »
I’ve been reading the threads, but there’s not been much to report here, so I haven’t bothered contributing for a couple of days.

Prince Philip’s funeral was shown here - after midnight our time, so I didn’t watch it. (I’ve since seen many photographs though).

It was shown on many/most of our free to air tv stations. Under normal circumstances it is wall to wall royal “news” here, and the past week of course there has been even more.

I thought it looked to be a very dignified service though it was very sad to see The Queen sitting alone. I’m trying not to think about how Meghan’s gossipy fake TV “friends” covered it for the American audience.  :-\

Glad the weather has been good for you all and you are taking tentative steps to get back to normal life in the UK. Sorry to hear that’s not the case for you Diana.  :(

Vaccination rollout here is slower than expected, (supply and other issues) and not helped by the accompanying blood clot stories which I’m sure will have some impact on the uptake. A woman died from blood clot here a couple of days ago - investigations are under way, though it seems she had underlying health issues. She was under 50 years old and not an essential worker so wouldn’t normally have been offered the jab yet unless she was in a priority group.

Dog played up on her walk this afternoon. I saw labradoodle through his fence and wanted to give him some attention, but my dog would’ve made that too difficult.

Finished watched “The Missing” with James Nesbitt. Very good but heavy going. Recommended.

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 April 21 04:40 BST (UK) »
A somber day for us all it would seem where ever in the world we are...

I’m pleased to hear Roobarb that you went out in the car to somewhere you don’t normally visit and make a purchase with actual money... all steps to returning to normality....

Diana - I’m sorry to hear that your part of Canada has returned to a more severe lockdown... I think about my half brother as he lives in Wasaga Beach and I don’t have much contact with him but still concerned... pleased to hear your OH has had his jab and yours to come on Monday...

Annette- good luck with your second jab tomorrow too... warmer weather bringing us all outside a little more and nice to catch up with neighbours...

Ruskie - life still continuing as normal for all of you down unders ... hope your vacation roll out picks up pace a bit more for you all...

My day

A bright and sunny start... OH had gone to golf before I got up! After breakfast I put some washing on and then popped out in the car to pick up a paper and a few items I’d forgotten on Thursday...
Phoned a friend on my return and invited her round for a coffee in the  garden.. she lives on a farm just outside the village and I’ve not seen her for many months... she lost her husband about three years ago now ... how she lives out there so isolated I don’t know.. I couldn’t do it... her son comes every day to run the farm so she at least is able to see her family...
We sat outside in the sunshine, it was lovely and warm and it was nice to catch up after so long... we talked about whether we might be able to resurrect the Christmas Fayre this year but everything still seems so uncertain and who knows what life in December might be like!
After she left I had lunch and sat outside in shorts and t shirt reading the paper..
At 2.30 I came indoors to watch the funeral...
I found it very moving and the playing of Jerusalem always brings a tear to the eye... I did feel for those poor chaps standing on the steps for the silence...
The Queen looked so small and isolated sitting by herself... such a lonely time and not to have your family close by must have been hard..
Like everything we do as a country on state occasions it all went without a hitch and with great precision.
It was reassuring to see Harry, William and Kate all walking up the hill afterwards in conversation...

My mind went back to Diana’s funeral and those two young boys walking behind their mother’s coffin and I wondered how they must have been feeling... such a very different day for them and the country...I remember it well...
We were driving our children back to university on that day, they were both at Surrey so we both had to go ... listening on the radio to the service, the roads were quiet and on our way home we drove up the M1... a very odd occasion as the motorway had only just been reopened after Diana’s journey back to Althorp ... it was eerily quiet as we drove further up into Northamptonshire the road was strewn with flowers from where people had been standing on the bridges... it was most strange... when we got home and got out of our cars we found we’d both felt the same.. I shall never forget that day... 
Like every event that occurs as ‘a first’ after the loss of a loved one The Queens birthday next week is her first hurdle without Philip being there... so hard..

OH returned home and had had a good game .... he mentioned that he’d passed two police cars in the lay-by of the village three miles down the road and a biker who had been stopped ... a police van coming from our village direction... until he told me this it hadn’t occurred to me that whilst sitting outside most of the day I’d not heard a single bike! Some progress... it turns out one of our friends and neighbours up the lane has written twice to our local MP! If it’s nice on Sunday it’ll be interesting to hear or not any bike noise!
We watched rugby match which he’d recorded then showered and he cooked dinner...
Usual steak! Very nice and more so as it’s not cooked by me!
Watched another instalment of Churchill series and Keeping Faith...
Retired early... now awake in the middle of the night!

A thought provoking day... everytime I look out of our front windows or go outside I see the flag flying at half mast...the flag pole is in the village hall grounds just over the road and our next door neighbour deals with all flag flying... not sure at over 90 how he manages but they’re always up at the right times... wonder if the correct one will go up on St George’s Day next week...how long should flags fly at half mast after a Royal death... I don’t know...

Must try and get some sleep now...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 April 21 08:40 BST (UK) »
It seems everyone enjoyed some sunshine and had a reflective kind of a day.
Historical evidence shows it is probable that Covid will continue to roll around the globe making lockdowns necessary in places for sometime, but that doesn't make it less worrying. However it is reassuring to note the vaccine programme is progressing in Canada, though the news from Oz is less good. And reading about India and Brazil is truly shocking.

Hope the motor bike issue can be controlled Caroline.... I suppose the village does have "please drive carefully" notices up?

We had blue skies and sunshine here too, and I made an early bread raid on town, but by 8:30 at Lidl it was noticeably busier than usual at that time.
3 cruise ships at anchor.
Marched home with the shopping and found that the flower beds in the little park, which had been turfed over a few years ago, have been re-instated, and vastly larger than before. Which should become very lovely, but does beg the question: why ever in the first place?
Walked over to the lakes, that being much quieter than the sea front areas which were busy with holiday makers as all the caravan parks are full.  Discovered there was an event being held at the velodrome so the leisure centre car park was packed with vans and camper vans.
It is true that covid cases are falling but with all this mingling I wonder for how long that will be so?

H washed his car while I watched the funeral.  As Roobarb says, the band music played in the quadrangle was very beautiful, and I was particularly struck by the second piece, which I think was "Supreme Sacrifice" and is possibly better known in the Southern hemisphere?
I agree poor HMQ did look so little and solitary, it made be very sad for her, and I felt sorrow emanating from the Princess Royal too.
A canny move to have everyone in morning suits, and it was good to see Wills, Harry and Kate in conversation after the service.
Watched some of the snooker afterwards.... a live audience in the crucible, though limited numbers.
Ruskie: I didn't like "The Missing" at all.... so menacing throughout, it made my blood pressure soar!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 April 21 08:56 BST (UK) »
MH - the bikes don’t come through the village... the main road is the problem...it’s actually classified as a B road used to be the old A45 through to the A1 but once the A14 was built it was down graded... the trouble is when A14 has hold up those that know the old road still use it....
For bikers it’s a brilliant ride, straights, bends... danger for all other motorists! It was advertised in bikers magazines as a good place to bend the knee! Hence its popularity... the trouble is for us in the village the  road wraps around so you hear them coming and going for miles... sounds like Brans Hatch...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 April 21 09:10 BST (UK) »
Not good at all Caroline, and I suppose nothing will alter until there is a serious accident.  :'(
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 April 21 09:58 BST (UK) »
Not good at all Caroline, and I suppose nothing will alter until there is a serious accident.  :'(

Sadly over the years there have been many fatalities... last summer after one within an hour of the road reopening they were back out there screaming up and down.... words fail to describe what their mentalities are.. 😤😤😳😳

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK