Author Topic: Names help please  (Read 260 times)

Offline Rufous Treecreeper

• RootsChat Senior
  • My lovely Granny 1909 to 2017
    • View Profile
Names help please
« on: Monday 19 April 21 03:13 BST (UK) »
Can anyone figure out what this name is please?  I thought Nagle or Hughes but they don't fit the information given with the name.
The part in question says 'I received a letter from ? per Minerva he has a son in 9 mos [months] & 15 days his wifes sister who was married on the same day had a son 9 mos exactly her brother's wife also had a son in 11 mos they were all three within a month of each other'

As I think the letter was written from Tasmania (VDL) I searched the Tasmanian Names Index for marriages of Hughes in 1845 and 1846 (the letter is dated 9 July 1847) but none appeared with a women who's surname matched another entry of a bride the same day.  There were no Nagles.

Thanks, Marlene
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)
Orr (Renfrew/Fife/Australia)
Livingstone, Bryson, Hutton (Hamilton, Lanark)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Names help please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 April 21 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hughe. Presumably a first name rather than a surname.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 April 21 09:02 BST (UK) »
The schooner Minerva did a regular run between Portland Bay and Launceston at that time. Presumably "Hughe" lived in mainland Australia.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rufous Treecreeper

• RootsChat Senior
  • My lovely Granny 1909 to 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 03:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shaun, spot on  :D

I found the marriage (1 Sep 1846) on the same day for Julia Burgess to Hugh Sunderland Barrett and Mary Burgess to James Bardon.  The marriages took place in Hobart Town at the Methodist Chapel, which is supporting evidence as the receiver of the letter, Jabez Best, was a Methodist.  The guy writing to Jabez, who is telling him the news about 'Hughe' was Abraham Field Barrett.  So I would think 'Hughe' would be a brother or other relation to him.  Both Abraham and Jabez where in Victoria (or NSW at that time), but Jabez had formerly lived in Tasmania, as had A.F. Barrett.

Thanks again  :)
Marlene
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)
Orr (Renfrew/Fife/Australia)
Livingstone, Bryson, Hutton (Hamilton, Lanark)