Author Topic: Passmore or Pasmore family of North Molton, Devon  (Read 6384 times)

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Passmore or Pasmore family of North Molton, Devon
« Reply #90 on: Friday 10 March 23 21:22 GMT (UK) »
I have done a DNA test on Ancestry a few years ago.  I have had very few matches from Devon.  The DNA test Ancestry does is the autosomal test, that does all of your lines, rather than just your Y Chromosome or male line.  Most of my distant cousin matches have been from my maternal lines through my mother, that goes back to Suffolk, Durham County, Northumberland, South West Scotland such as Glasgow, and Northern Ireland.  For some reason Devon doesn't seem to be coming up in my DNA test in the places my ancestors came from.  My lineage back to the Passmores to North Molton is correct, and I did contact someone whom was a 5th cousin descended from an Aaron Bendle, brother of my 4x great grandmother Mary Bendle 1813-1879 of South Molton.  She is the mother of my 3x great grandmother Eliza Wotton 1844-1910, whom married my direct Passmore ancestor John Passmore 1838-1903 from North Molton.  The distant cousin said that Aaron Bendle emigrated to Australia to Victoria in 1854.  If my lineage as not correct, I would not be related to this distant cousin.  The limitations of the Ancestry test, is that you can only go back 200 or more years, and have good matches to 6th or 5th cousins, though most of my matches are 4th cousins, mainly from USA, Canada and Australia.  Because we are 8th cousins once removed, we are too distant for the test to prove our relationship from our common ancestor Philip Passmore 1672-1743.  In the near future I think DNA testing would probably be able to go further back, but for now it doesn't.  It can work for people on 23andme, if you have taken a Y Chromosome test, for your male or paternal line, but you mentioned it is through one of your maternal ancestors that goes back to Philip Passmore 1747-1802, so it wouldn't work.  If there was any male Passmore descendants alive today descended from Philip Passmore 1672-1734, it would prove that the male line is correct.  However, I haven't found any Passmores yet that have done a DNA test on either Ancestry or 23andme.

There are quite a few of us North Molton descended Passmores who have done DNA tests - your John's is my x3 great grandfather's first cousin once removed and I have a strong cluster of matches from my line. :) Perhaps there's an NPE in the Wootton / Bendle pairing?

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Friday 10 March 23 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi , I have heard of this family and done a lot of research and come across the Passmore name . I am related to John Jutsum The keeper at St Thomas Apostle inExeter  . I am coming to Devon from NZ in May or June to research further and would any ideas as to what to research and visit . I have the numbers for a pre 1800 will of my John Jutsum died 1800 but not digitized so need help on where to go to try and read it .  I know the Jutsums used to have a family reunion , would be lucky enough to to be in the area at the right time . Thanks for any ideas . Fred
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Friday 10 March 23 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi , I have heard of this family and done a lot of research and come across the Passmore name . I am related to John Jutsum The keeper at St Thomas Apostle inExeter  . I am coming to Devon from NZ in May or June to research further and would any ideas as to what to research and visit . I have the numbers for a pre 1800 will of my John Jutsum died 1800 but not digitized so need help on where to go to try and read it .  I know the Jutsums used to have a family reunion , would be lucky enough to to be in the area at the right time . Thanks for any ideas . Fred

Hi Fred, will send you a PM :)

Offline crg1992

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Saturday 06 May 23 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hello!
I recently traced a line back to John Passmore born 1510 in North Molton, Devon, England. I was wondering if anyone had any more information on him?

Xxxo
CRG