Author Topic: James Laird  (Read 1990 times)

Offline trishc

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James Laird
« on: Monday 29 August 05 16:24 BST (UK) »
Looking for any info re James Laird who it is believed emigrated to Australia c.1926-28.
He was born in Barrow in Furness in 1889, so in his thirties when he emigrated.
Many thanks.
trishc
Dunn/Brown/Laird/Monaghan/Willetts/Lamb/Stalker/Morland/Bradley/Corbett/Franks/Mayes/Blewitt/
Areas: Staffordshire (Rowley Regis/Darlaston); Bolton; Barrow in Furness; Westmorland; Ulverston; Middlesbrough;Huntingdon; Ireland.

Offline Mungbeans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: James Laird
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 02:25 BST (UK) »
Do you have his parents' names?  This might be helpful for locating his death record.  Any idea if he married?

There are four death entries for James Laird before 1945:

Number     Last Name     Given Name(s)     Father's Given Name(s)     Mother's Given Name(s)     District      
15742/1921 LAIRD, JAMES DAVID - ROBERT - CATHERINE - SYDNEY      
4938/1937 LAIRD, JAMES - WILLIAM LORRIMER - JANE ANNE - KURRI KURRI      
7591/1937 LAIRD, JOHN JAMES - JAMES - MARY - BEGA      
13652/1939 LAIRD, JAMES - JAMES - JANE - SYDNEY      

I don't know how to research deaths which happened after 1945.  There is a huge gap between the end of the online indexes and the start of the Ryerson Index (obits) around 1975.
(was 'spunkymungbeans') Price (Bristol), Pow (Scotland), Neilson (Scotland), Cooper (Yorkshire), Laister (Yorkshire/Nottingham/Lincolnshire)
Lookups:  NSW & Norfolk Musters to 1828; Rookwood Cemetery and Woronora Cemetery transcriptions and grave photographs - post at Australian Emigrants board

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 03:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,
I found this information on the National Archives of Australia website.  They have many more passenger lists which are not yet indexed, so it may be worth heading to their website (www.naa.gov.au) and contacting a Reference Officer with a research request.  Meantime, this could be your man.  There was a Mary and a Sadie Laird on the same ship:

LAIRD, James    Ship/aircraft name  Baradine

Port of embarkation    London    
Port of disembarkation    Melbourne    
Date of arrival  13 May 1929

Barcode no  11554691

Offline trishc

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 06:07 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to both of you!
Spunkymungbeans: His parents names were:  Daniel Francis and Mary.  I don't know if he was married, which doesn't help much, I know.

PrueM: Your info sounds very interesting and can't wait to try and find out more.
I have looked at so many passenger lists but obviously not the same one that you did! This is all very encouraging.
Thanks again to you both; I'll try and delve more after work.
Regards
trishc :D
Dunn/Brown/Laird/Monaghan/Willetts/Lamb/Stalker/Morland/Bradley/Corbett/Franks/Mayes/Blewitt/
Areas: Staffordshire (Rowley Regis/Darlaston); Bolton; Barrow in Furness; Westmorland; Ulverston; Middlesbrough;Huntingdon; Ireland.