Author Topic: John Payne Pratt  (Read 3115 times)

Offline George Shaw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Payne Pratt
« Reply #45 on: Friday 30 April 21 16:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks.

I've dug out more on the emigration from Ancestry.com and the British Newspaper Archive:-

Emigration To USA

Having embarked from Liverpool on Wednesday 27 July 1870 then Queenstown, Ireland, on Thursday 28 July 1870, the Pratt family eventually arrived in New York aboard the Guion steamer "Idaho" on Sunday 7 August 1870 at 7.00 p.m.. The party comprised, John Payne Pratt (Labourer, 43), Eliza, wife (42), and daughters, Eliza (18), Caroline (13), Ada A. (7), and Rose L. (3).

EDIT - departure month typo amended from August to July as pointed out by MaureeninNY
(Generally, LEIGH, LANCS)

BOWDEN (Solicitors & Estate Agents)
ECKERSLEY (Cotton Spinners)
HIGENBOTTAM (Brewery)
LECOMBER (Engineer)
SHAW (Brewery)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 30 April 21 16:23 BST (UK) »
That’s  the same information as reply #19 - the New York passenger list.
I thought it said ‘labr’ but wasn’t sure.
Maybe it was a way of classification as I think he wa# described as Clerk initially in NY.
It’s been very interesting.  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 30 April 21 16:35 BST (UK) »
Not quite sure about your sailing dates,George? Maybe July?

Maureen

Offline George Shaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 30 April 21 18:42 BST (UK) »
That’s  the same information as reply #19 - the New York passenger list.
I thought it said ‘labr’ but wasn’t sure.
Maybe it was a way of classification as I think he wa# described as Clerk initially in NY.
It’s been very interesting.  :)

It's subtly different. Departure dates from Liverpool and Queenstown are now included and an amended date (and time) of arrival in the US has now been recorded.

HIGENBOTTAM (Brewery)
LECOMBER (Engineer)
SHAW (Brewery)

Offline George Shaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 30 April 21 19:05 BST (UK) »
Not quite sure about your sailing dates,George? Maybe July?

Maureen

Typo, sorry. Post amended and  accredited.

HIGENBOTTAM (Brewery)
LECOMBER (Engineer)
SHAW (Brewery)

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 30 April 21 19:40 BST (UK) »
Maybe?
Electoral rolls 1870

John P Pratt , Hurst Fold, Bedford, Lancs
Occupier of house and land
FMPast newspapers:
(sorry-I'm not going to try):

instructions from Mr. J. F. Pratt, who is leaving England, |\TR. RICHA.U') will SELL AUCTION, Tuesday, July ]9. at Hurst House, Bedford, the’ HOUSEHOLD PURNITUKE, Ac., &c.. comprising very superior pianoforte, octaves, in walnut wood case, by eminent
July 16, 1870 - Leigh Chronicle and Weekly District Advertiser - Leigh,

Offline George Shaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 30 April 21 20:47 BST (UK) »
What a great find, thank you. Transcribed for others:-

Pre-Emigration Furniture Sale (Leigh Chronicle, 16 July 1870)

Pursuant to instructions from Mr. J.P. Pratt, who is leaving England,
MR. RICHARD GREENOUGH will SELL BY AUCTION, on TUESDAY, July 19, at Hurst House, Bedford, the HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE, &c., &c., comprising very superior pianoforte, 6¾ octaves, in walnut wood case, by an eminent maker; walnut wood music stool, mahogany do., walnut wood oval loo table, do. couch, excellent do. cabinet with glazed doors, beautifully inlaid with satin wood; 6 do. balloon-back chairs, upholstered in hair, and covered with green damask; lady's and gentleman's chairs, 2 do. footstools, en suite, with fine linen covers for the whole; mahogany pembroke table, 3 do. card do., 2 do. easy chairs in morocco leather and hair cloth, 6 mahogany chairs upholstered in hair and covered with hair cloth, do. sofa, small rosewood occasional table, brilliant plate chimney glass, 50 in. by 40 in., in handsome gilt frame, chimney ornaments, prints, engravings, cast fenders, fire irons, lobby oil cloth, cocoa fibre mats and matting, cut decanters, spirit squares, mahogany bookcase with cupboard and drawers underneath, a small library of books, containing sundry volumes by the Rev. G. Gilfillan, Davidson, Coleman, Shakespeare, Doddridge, &c; compound achromatic microscope, 2 objectives, 2 eye lenses, diaphragm plate, side condenser, analyser, polariscope, animalculae cage, and a few mounted objects; large silvered globe for lecturing purposes; iron, tudor, and French bedsteads, do. crib, 2 painted nests of drawers, do. gentleman's wardrobe, do. enclosed and other wash stands and dressing tables with suitable appointments, chair bedchamber wicker baskets, cane-seated bedroom chairs, night commode, step chair, perambulator, rosewood sofa with loose cushion upholstered in hair, square table, kitchen chairs, child's dining do., meat safe, paste boards, scales and weights, mortar and pestle, flour bin lined with tin, tin hastener and bottle jack, baskets, wringing machine by Townley, dolly and wash tubs, clothes horse, coffee mill, filter; copper brass, iron, tin, wood, and earthenwares in variety, kitchen and culinary utensils, &c.

Also, the Greenhouse Hot-water Heating Apparatus, stages, an excellent 4-light frame, pots and plants, patent lawn mower by Shanks, garden roller, scythe, rakes, hoes, and sundry tools; 2 stocks of Ligurian or Alp bees in Carr's patent bar frame hives, 2 swarms of do., in straw and wood hives, 2 stocks of black bees in Carr's patent bar frame hives, 2 swarms of do. in straw and box hives, wheelbarrow, three wire garden seats, rain tubs, tap and supports, and numerous miscellaneous effects.

On view the day prior to the sale.

Hurst House is centrally situated between Astley, Tyldesley, and Leigh, being near the Cemetery, and a few minutes' walk from Bedford Leigh Railway Station.

HIGENBOTTAM (Brewery)
LECOMBER (Engineer)
SHAW (Brewery)

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 30 April 21 21:31 BST (UK) »
What a perfect transcription!

May I ask (why?) about the interest in the  J P PRATT family?

Maureen

Offline George Shaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 30 April 21 22:08 BST (UK) »
I have a general interest in the six breweries of Leigh in Lancashire. The buildings, the people and the history. All of the information I gather I record in a Wiki in a per brewery chronological sequence with multi-year 'gleanings' being inserted to cover stories like that of John Payne Pratt. The Bedford Brewing and Malting Company (BBMC) existed in Leigh, Lancashire, from 1866 and until 1901 although, under different names, the business both preceded and postdated that period. The creation of the BBMC in 1866 saw John Payne Pratt being appointed as Company Secretary, a position he held until around 1868/70 at which point new Secretary, William Smith, took the reins. Until I really started digging and with help from others, JPP was a bit of a mystery. Now we are clearer on the JPP story.

Thank you for your help to date, it is very much appreciated.  :)

HIGENBOTTAM (Brewery)
LECOMBER (Engineer)
SHAW (Brewery)