Author Topic: GRO indexes  (Read 3913 times)

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GRO indexes
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 10:57 BST (UK) »
Now have the death certificate. She is Minnie Frances Hill,. otherwise Loring-Fox,  widow of Reginald Thomas Hill, architect, died May 1942. I assume he is the Reginald Hill mentioned in earlier posts, though working for a builder on  1901/1911 censuses, though could have bettered himself later. Be interesting to see the family on 1921 census when it appears.
Minnie was his second wife, the first being the former Minnie Berry who died in 1902, the second being Minnie Frances Lamb, born Cosford, Suffolk, 3rd quarter 1879, who married Hill in 1904. I am assuming all this as no other suspects.
The family is on 1911 census, but none of the children are born 1904/1908, the possible main birth dates of E. A. Loring. Wonder where the name came from as it does not appear to be connected to anyone else in  the family. There is a family tree for Hill, but it is a bit of a mess with the children  because of Hill marrying two Minnies.
Elizabeth Loring is divorced on 1939 Register, but nothing in  the National Archive Divorce archive, nor for Gladys Harriett (Hill) if she had married. That 1962 electoral roll entry for Elizabeth Loring and Gertrude Hill is interesting as Gertrude was one of Hill's daughters by his first wife.
I presume Minnie Loring-Fox is a surname based on her daughter's  and Fox, whatever his name was, who was her partner out of wedlock.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 11:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for letting us know the details!

My earlier thought on how Elisabeth Ann might fit in

If Elisabeth Ann was a daughter of Minnie, and we don't know for sure, then perhaps she was adopted,  unless she was Gladys Harriet :-\

We know that Elisabeth had a big interest in adoption (during WW2 at least), has anybody found what might have happened to Gladys? Just in case she "adopted" the pen name Elisabeth Ann in real life!

As far as I can see, Elisabeth A Loring is single in 1939. Minnie F Loring-Fox is married. Possibly meaning Minnie is married to Christopher, though it seems unlikely to be true?

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
GRO indexes
« Reply #38 on: Monday 07 June 21 13:10 BST (UK) »
I have found other mystries to solve, including that of 1930s author David Sharp, but going back to Loring I have found on Ancestry the 1951 death in the Transvaal of an Elizabeth Ann Minnie Loring, which sounds suggestive even if no other details are available.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 07 June 21 13:39 BST (UK) »
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9BY-R9BS-6

Her occupation was 'domestic duties'.

Parents William Henry JEWELL and Margaret JOHNSTON.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSSB-V9FY-1

Debra  :)

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 07 June 21 13:49 BST (UK) »
Death Dec qtr 1977   
LORING    ELIZABETH ANN    date of birth 12 MAY 1904  ::)   
ST MARYLEBONE reg dist    14   2033

London phone books, late 1970's
Loring Elisabeth A, Editor, 4 New Cavendish St W1...01-935 ****

'Our' Elizabeth Ann Loring was born in 1904 and died in 1977, so presumably not the same person as the one who died in 1951 in Transvaal,as that one was born in 1888.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 07 June 21 16:11 BST (UK) »
Pressed the wrong button !

Cannot find a marriage for  Gladys Harriet Hill, the only possibilities  for a Gladys H Hill marriage before 1939 being a Gladys Harriet Hill who was born Reigate in 1906, and a Gladys Honor Hill. No apparent death for an unmarried Gladys H Hill born 1905. Suppose a non-England marriage is possible , or even a death abroad
But I wonder. The newspaper archive has articles mentioning Elizabeth Ann Loring, each one mentioning her age agrees with her being born circa 1908. Could she actually be the daughter of Fox whom Minnie has accepted into the family ?

No further forward, except getting that  1977 death certificate. Pity the online GRO indexes do not cover the 1970s yet.

John

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 07 June 21 20:06 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD covers up to 1983?

I think Ancestry and FindMyPast cover later dates?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 07 June 21 20:19 BST (UK) »
But the GRO online indexes expand those middle initials which those two don't. Can save you ordering a certificate if the middle names are not those of the person you are researching. Of couse, there are years in the births and deaths which are not available yet. And no marriages yet. I have noticed one thing - you cannot order a PDF of a certificate not listed online.

John

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 07 June 21 20:31 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD covers up to 1983?

Freebmd are currently working towards 1992
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk