Author Topic: William Hall and Sarah Susanna Sophia Choppin  (Read 915 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: William Hall and Sarah Susanna Sophia Choppin
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 April 21 20:20 BST (UK) »
Mabel, your introduction of sibling Christopher Hall has opened the door...

See here (link shortened from google books) for background on the large Hall family www.rootschat.com/links/01qkj/

The section on the Hall family starts with John Snr, from the last paragraph on pg. 33

Monica

PS: In spite of the all details included, it also states that William died in 1846....and little is known about him  :-\
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sbloomfield

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Hall and Sarah Susanna Sophia Choppin
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 September 21 03:50 BST (UK) »
William Hall was the younger brother of Thomas. Born 14 Oct 1775 and baptised at St George Hanover Square 9 Nov 1775. Son of John Hall, stable keeper in Hamilton Street near Hyde Park Corner and his wife Harriot (nee Coates). At time of marriage was a tallow chandler in Great Ryder St. (newspaper announcement of the marriage in Scots magazine July 1802 same in Kent's directory 1806) In Holden's 1811 directory is a Wax tallow chandler and melter at 6 Bury St. St. James. His wife was the older sister of Louisa Choppin (b. 1782) Three children as noted above, Sophia (d. 1808) John and William. Sarah Susannah Sophia appears to have died around 1817. I have found no burial or will, but a contact who was conducting a one name study into Choppins told me some years ago that he had found a probate record for her in 1817 (no doc. number or further details, sorry). William died in London 11 Dec 1823. 'Dec. 11 at Long's Hotel, 'Mr. William Hall of Moulsey, aged 50' (Public Ledger 16 Dec 1823). His will, written at Long's Hotel on 8 Dec describes him as of East  [Moulsey?] in Surrey but "now residing at Long's Hotel New Bond Street". Appoints brother Robert Hall and nephew John Cuff executors and guardians of his sons John and William who are still minors. William was buried at St. Mary Abbots church in Kensington where his two stable keeper brothers John and Christopher were also buried.  There is a memorial to John inside the church. After William's death newspaper advertisements advertised the sale of a leasehold cottage at East Moulsey, some very elegant furniture, and an amazingly good cellar of wines. Also two horses, one of which could carry 17 stone (so perhaps he was a rather large man?) He was a beneficiary in the will of his stable keeper brother John Hall (d. 1816) and also his brother Christopher (d. 1820 - NOT 1821 as stated above. Christopher was unmarried). 

I have been able to track the two boys (in part) through chancery documents relating to the estates of John and Christopher Hall, and another brother Robert who died in 1847. John was living in 1824 when he was named as a plaintiff in Chancery proceedings Cholerton v Cuff TNA C 13/809/8) Robert Hall's will 24 Feb 1846 implies that John is deceased and excludes any of John's issue from being a beneficiary. This suggests there was issue. William jnr was still living in 1855, when his name crops up in another Chancery document relating to the Hall property in Kensington. He is recorded there as a "Gentleman" living at Kennington Oval (Cuff v Hall TNA C 15/188/C94 1855 C94.) The 1851 census records him (possibly) with his wife Harriet (b. Lambeth surrey around 1811) at 13 Kennington Oval. William was aged 42 (which is pretty accurate) profession Architect and Surveyor. The PO directory Court guide for 1856 and 1859 lists him still at that address. Rather confusingly there appears to have been another William Hall living at no. 23 Kennington Oval who died in 1854 (PCC will lists his wife as Jane). I have been unable to trace 'my' William Hall after that.

William Hall senior's siblings (ie other children of John Hall/Harriot Coates) were Harriet (1760-1834 married saddler Thomas Cuff); John (1762-1816) Stable keeper (did not marry but had two natural children with different mothers); Robert (1765-1847 did not marry - or work as far as I can determine); Benjamin (1764-1847) saddler, married Sarah Ann Dawson and had a large family; Thomas (1773-1822); Caroline (1774-1821) married George James Lock of the famous Lock Hat Shop in St. James and had a number of children; and Christopher (1777-1820) stable keeper. Unmarried.

I hope this helps. PS I am the author of the blog post on William's brother Thomas Sydney Hall/Catherine Bent. The Halls were a really interesting family. Their origins were in Yorkshire, but I have been unable to trace them there so far