Author Topic: Where was Margaret Muckells/Gorringe in 1901+1911??  (Read 868 times)

Offline Fibrokitty

• RootsChat Member
  • Who will tell your story when you're gone?
    • View Profile
Where was Margaret Muckells/Gorringe in 1901+1911??
« on: Friday 30 April 21 12:23 BST (UK) »
There has been a thread before regarding the Gorringe's including Margaret Jane Muckells but i don't want to keep opening the same one up asking new questions when it was started over 5 years ago so i thought id start a fresh with hopefully some new eyes.

My 3x gr grandma was Margaret Muckells born 1851 in Sunderland, she married George Gorringe ( from Kent) and they all lived in Sunderland. From newspaper articles i found, whilst George was at sea, she had an affair around 1884 and ran away with the man. George came home to find his furniture missing along with 2 of his children, the rest of his children were with a neighbor. The police caught up with Margaret and she ended up back in Sunderland and gave birth to a baby in 1885, James Rowden Gorringe ( due to this i'm not sure if James is biologically Georges).

1891 Margaret is in Union Worhouse with son James.

Then the trail goes dead, James moves to Grimsby and lives with his older brother and in the 1901 and 1911 Margaret is nowhere to be seen.
I did presume she had died but on the last thread a relative stated she had the marriage certificate for a new husband who she married in 1913 and its her.

In the newspaper article it does read Mary J Gorringe but everything else adds up to it being Margaret so i have been searching for both Mary J and Margaret J.

Does anybody have any information on the family or know of any where or anything i can try. Its strange her being missing off 2 consecutive census' and then 2 years after the last one getting married an hour down the road from where she always lived!
Banks
Atherton
Yates
Pearson
Gorringe
Young
Dickinson
Bowling
Briscoe

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where was Margaret Muckells/Gorringe in 1901+1911??
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 May 21 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hello  ;D

Her parents:
Andrew MUCKELLS and Charlotte GASS

Newspaper reports April and May 1885
1884-1885 Mrs Mary J Gorringe ran off with a middle aged married man, a steward on a ship (whose deserted wife was dying of TB),  named Thomas Cole (or Thomas Blackmore Cole)

1913: Marriage between  Margaret J Gorringe and John Collinge, Tynemouth

1920: Margaret J COLLINGE, aged 69 years, died  27 Aug , Tynemouth (50 Preston Road)

Have you the marriage cert of Margaret J Gorringe to John Collinge?
Would want to know his details to see where he was in the Census
And confirm, her age & father's name?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 May 21 16:06 BST (UK) »
(50 Preston Road)

Can you look for that address on census just in case
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 May 21 03:02 BST (UK) »
It would appear Margaret J Collinge died in Hospital which is address 50 Preston Road

This information is from another Chat:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=600035.0

"The address "50 Preston Road" was originally "created"  to fulfill the conditions of a law change
 that required Registrars to complete birth and death registrations using a street address, rather than " The Workhouse"   This was the Tynemouth Workhouse ( situated in North Shields) infirmary   block that eventually became general and maternity hospital , called Preston Hospital, under NHS auspices"

"Preston road hospital and 50 preston road are the same place"

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 May 21 08:34 BST (UK) »

Marriage certificate, 1913.....what do you see for....ages, addresses, witnesses, church?, occupations?

Is Margaret a widow?....divorced?

Offline Fibrokitty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 May 21 12:52 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for all your replies! I have contacted the member who wrote in a post what was on the marriage certificate and they seemed certain it was her, if i dont get a reply i shall order it this week. I only looked on Google maps for the 50 Preston road until you mentioned looking it up, im surprised it was yet ANOTHER Workhouse, whilst she was married again too!

Whilst waiting for the marriage certificate i am going to fine tooth comb Workhouses in the area to find a name which could have been transcribed wrong as both names wernt very common, over the years ive seen so many variations of Gorringe.

Banks
Atherton
Yates
Pearson
Gorringe
Young
Dickinson
Bowling
Briscoe

Offline Fibrokitty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 May 21 15:04 BST (UK) »
Ok so finally received the marriage certificate for Margaret and John Collinge and ive looked and looked through all this new info and still cannot find her on the 1901 and 1911 census, id just love to know what she was doing around that time and that she was ok!

Margaret J Gorringe - 63- Widower - 2 New Thames Street - Andrew Muckles ( dec)

Both her and John lived at 2 New Thames Street when married and both Widows ( i know Margaret wasnt actually a widow but her husband George aldo claimed he was a widower too which makes me think she just got shunned by the family or she just left them.

Witnesses are Sarah Thirlwell  and Mary Ann Bowman, i cant find any family links with them bar just living around the same area as the couple.

I did find who i think was John in a 1911 with a wife Isabella ( also called Emma) but she died 1912. i cant see any children from them.

Maybe i need to give up looking for the 1901 and 1911 but she must be on at least 1!
Banks
Atherton
Yates
Pearson
Gorringe
Young
Dickinson
Bowling
Briscoe