Author Topic: GRANGER family of Monkswearmouth  (Read 918 times)

Offline TopHat62

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GRANGER family of Monkswearmouth
« on: Friday 07 May 21 22:31 BST (UK) »
I have been working on my family tree for a few weeks now, sorting out the family narrative sent to me by a cousin of my mother's. He used to be on the committee of Norfolk Family History Society so the narrative is long (33 sides of A4) and detailed.

It reads like a story though and there aren't any birth certificate index references and very few parish register entry numbers. Adding Grangers onto a spreadsheet uncovered an un-numbered and un-bolded living cousin in Berkshire.

This week, I discovered HENRY GRANGER on the 1881 census, born in Highgate, Norfolk. Aged 44, he was living with wife JANE A GRANGER (34) born in Sunderland with six children (there may have been more). I have birth cert index references for the eldest four. They were living at 7 Zetland Street, Monkswearmouth Shore, Durham. Henry's occupation is listed as a tinship hole driller.

For unknown reasons, my cousin didn't put much info on the parents of HENRY GRANGER, ROBERT GRANGER and wife HANNAH GRANGER nee SEXTON and certainly didn't mention that they had six sons. I will search Norfolk first for Henry's five brothers.

I don't know Co Durham or Sunderland at all, so I'd like to know if there are any local resources which would help me.

Specifically, I'm looking for info on the local shipyards in 1881, in the hope that there might be some good archives. I want to find out where Henry and Jane might be buried and as Jane was a local, where they might have got married. Is there a good local source for parish registers online please ?

I'm looking to find living distant cousins in the area I hope, as there were 6+ children. If you have Henry and Jane Granger in your tree,we're probably related. I've noticed quite a few Grangers in the Durham Light Infantry. on the National Archives website, so I'm hopeful.

I'm the great great great great granddaughter of blacksmith and publican HENRY GRANGER (1775-1837) whom  ROBERT GRANGER also traces back to.

Hoping that someone can point me in the right directions. Many thanks !!

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: GRANGER family of Monkswearmouth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 May 21 12:37 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

Robert/Hannah Bapt Kings Lynn
WILLIAM 13 Nov 1827
ROBERT 17 Feb 1831
WILLIAM 20 Jun 1833
HENRY 28 Mar 1835
Then at Gaywood;
BENJAMIN 07 Apr 1839 as Grange
JOHN 19 Sep 1841
THOMAS 21 Apr 1844 as Grange

All above on FreeREG (some records also have birth dates and residence and Roberts occp)

So 1841 we have in Gaywood;
Robert Granger   35
Hannah Granger 35
James Granger   15
Robert Granger   10
William Granger   8
Henry Granger   6
Benjamin Granger 2

I cant see a Burial for the 1st William born 1827 or a Bapt for James c 1835.

Trish  :)

EDIT if you havent used it before FreeREG is great for Norfolk records;
www.freereg.org.uk

Hannah SEXTONs Bapt is there 1803 and Robert Grangers also.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 May 21 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hello and Welcome

You asked for info on the Sunderland  end of your family:

There is a  burial for Jane Ann Grainger  of 3 Zetland Street in Mere Knolls Cemetery (Western Extension), Sunderland (Fulwell)   on 13 March 1901. She is recorded as the widow of Henry Grainger.

This from Durham Reocrds online - a pay to view but very reasonable.

https://www.durhamrecordsonline.com

I'll check for Henry and report back.*

Gadget

* nothing found so far.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 May 21 16:15 BST (UK) »
Henry Grainger was buried on 23 Jan 1895 at same cemetery as his wife.He is described as a labourer of 59.  Abode is given as Union Workhouse Workhouse.  Workhouses were also used as hospitals in those days.

Source as above.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 May 21 16:18 BST (UK) »
Death Registration  -

Henry Grainger, Houghton Le Spring ,1895,  Q1, Vol 10A, Page 282

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 May 21 16:26 BST (UK) »
Also, Jane's death reg:

Jane Ann Grainger, 55, Sunderland , Q1, 1901, Vol 10A, Page  430

Gadget

Offline TopHat62

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 May 21 16:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Trish and Gadget !

I have used lots of different websites, but haven't used freereg so I will give that a try, thanks. The Durham Records Online website is just the sort of thing I was looking for, so that's excellent, thank you.

I am used to Granger or Grainger. My late grandfather was GRAINGER but his parents and two brothers were GRANGER. Though Arthur was GRAINGER throughout his life, his wife became GRANGER and so was his daughter, (my mother)

I am a bit perturbed to see GRANGE crop up for the first time that I know of. Hoping it's a transcription error, not another variation. :argh:

Thank you both of you for the warm welcome and the kickstart x

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 May 21 16:51 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage for a Henry Granger and a Jane Ann Fairclough in  Sunderland in 1864

Using the 1881 info -

Henrietta is registered Sunderland 1881 Q1, 10A 657  MMN Hairclough - GRO error!

Eleanor is registered with MMN as Faircough

Grainger and Granger seem to be used!

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 May 21 16:56 BST (UK) »