Author Topic: British soldiers serving in India  (Read 10876 times)

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: British soldiers serving in India
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 November 22 11:45 GMT (UK) »
I have a lot of sympathy with your problem. My great grandfather joined the British Army in Scotland in 1855 and served most of his career in India. On enlisting at the age of 18 (according to him) he said he was born in the parish of Greyfriars in Edinburgh.  However that parish didn't exist around 1837 so he was more likely referring to the general area to the South of Edinburgh castle. What's more later censuses suggest he may have been under 18 when he enlisted, just to add more variables to the equation.

As you are no doubt aware civil registration in Scotland didn't start until 1854 so I, like you if your man was born in Scotland, have to rely on the Old Parish Registers (OPR) which are far from complete, and needless to say I haven't found his parents.  So even though I have slightly more information to go on than you, this remains a brickwall for now.

Keep checking the FIBIS site as they are constantly adding new records and as far as I know they are the only site which is currently digitizing the BL EIC archives.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 09 November 22 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Then the 5th Regiment LC becomes the 105th Foot and he becomes Paymaster on 12th August 1862;

Something wrong there. 105th Foot was previously the 2nd Madras Light Infantry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/105th_Regiment_of_Foot_(Madras_Light_Infantry)

AD was appointed paymaster on 29 March 1864 per the Gazette https://www.thegazette.co.uk/Edinburgh/issue/7419/page/462

which gives me that he was born around c.1849

Typo - should read 1808?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 09 November 22 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Then the 5th Regiment LC becomes the 105th Foot and he becomes Paymaster on 12th August 1862;

Something wrong there. 105th Foot was previously the 2nd Madras Light Infantry.

I suspect the actual sequence was that when the 5th Bengal Light Cavalry were disbanded in May 1857, due to questions about the loyalty of the Indian soldiers during the Mutiny, the newly appointed Lt Davidson transferred to Madras Light Infantry, since the European officers were on contract. And as he was now probably a quartermaster his riding skills were less important than his organisational/administrative skills, hence his later appointment as paymaster.

Going back to mweston's original posting, it would be really helpful to find his records at the time when he later went on half-pay as they might include more details about where he was living etc, which in turn might throw more light on his origins.

I also think the word 'gent' in the Gazette entry Shaun linked to is helpful. It it may indicate something about his origins, although I think it just a standard way of referring to someone didn't previously hold a commission in HM Forces. In other words this was the date on which he formally joined the British Army.

Offline mweston

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 09 November 22 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Here is a little more information confirming what I have posted,  one being the only information I found about his death, and that his son-in-law, which I knew was a Vet in the Army.  I have also posted his Marriage Cert which gives his occupation back in 1834 and his probate.  His probate gives his last known address at Hammersmith.  (His two daughters, after their husbands died 1. Major Augustus Frederick Curtis and 2. Major Wardlaw Manderson, went to live in the Channel Isles together.)  Seems my files are too big will send another post.

Offline mweston

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 09 November 22 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy here is the last information on Alexander, sorry not really good on putting things together so the information and headings are separate, sorry.   Do you happen to know what the Regd Papers 49989/26 mean? Thankyou.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 10 November 22 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Do you happen to know what the Regd Papers 49989/26 mean? Thankyou.
No, I'm sorry I don't.