Author Topic: LOUISA JANE MORRIS b. 1876 Bridnorth in Lancaster in 1891  (Read 2779 times)

Offline Lesleyperry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: (FANNY) LOUISA MORRIS b. 1876 Bridnorth in Lancaster in 1891
« Reply #81 on: Friday 17 June 22 15:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you. Lesley

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LOUISA JANE MORRIS b. 1876 Bridnorth in Lancaster in 1891
« Reply #82 on: Friday 17 June 22 18:15 BST (UK) »

By 1874 the child's father had to be listed on the birth certificate (even if illegitimate), hence the children's names (as I just learned from this thread).

Clarification. After 1874 the father of an illegitimate child could be named on the birth certificate if he was present at the registration and gave permission for his name to be recorded. Otherwise the box for father's name was left blank on a birth certificate of an illegitimate child.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Friday 17 June 22 18:34 BST (UK) »

I looked at Styal Cottage Homes (orphanage) Chorlton and it didn't look too great as I expected.  The two girls (from this thread there in 1911 - Eleanor age 13, Gladys 11) were more than likely my grandma's cousins (still to be conclusively confirmed). 

Looks like Louisa EDWARDS (prev. Thomas SAUNDERS widow, nee MORRIS mmn DAYUS) kept the SAUNDERS son (first marriage) with her but put the two SAUNDERS girls in the home for a while - Styal Cottages (which looked awful).

Styal Cottage Homes - Industrial School, founded 1898.
Admission registers 1903-56 & log books 1904-56 at Manchester Libraries Archives & Local History Department.
Cottage Homes for children were intended as a better alternative to workhouses. Plans of cottage homes were based on model villages.
www.childrenshomes.org.uk/cottagehomes/ 
Cowban

Offline Lesleyperry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Friday 17 June 22 18:51 BST (UK) »
Yes, Alice E. (Edith) ELLIS (Morris/mmn Dayus) b. 1874 Bridnorth, Shropshire was listed as Alice E. Dayus, age 7, b. Bridgnorth on the 1881 census and then as Alice E. Morris, age 17, b. Bridgnorth, on the 1891.

By the 1901 census when Alice E. Ellis (now married) was listing her birthplace as Wolverhampton (not Bridgnorth), her parents were still alive and, by then, living very close to Wolverhampton, after having moved around in the Bridgnorth, Shropshire area.

Presumably that was the reason for the birth location change (if Alice E. wasn't very sophisticated and she confused herself with where her parents were currently living with where she had been born).

The change of birth location (from Bridgnorth to Wolverhampton) from 1901 onwards made identifying Alice E. rather difficult on the previous censuses. 

I definitely knew who Alice E. was on the 1901 census because, by then, she was married and some of my great-aunts had already been born.

There were also Alice E.'s three surnames to contend with on the various censuses/other documents (brought about by Alice E.'s illegitimacy): Dayus (mmn), Morris (maiden name on 1898 marriage certificate, Salford), and Ellis (married name - George W. Ellis, b. 1872, Leeds).

My family finally!!  ;) ;) ;) confirmed Alice E.'s identity through a DNA match between my mum (a granddaughter), and another of Alice E.'s sibling's descendants.  There were eight siblings who were all recorded accurately throughout the censuses.

Alice E.'s parents were Thomas Morris b.1852 Worfield/Louisa nee Dayus b. 1849 Chelmarsh, m. 1875, Bridgnorth, Shrewsbury area.

Their (Thomas and Louisa) two children (of the eight) born before 1875 (including Alice E.) are listed with the mother's maiden name in 1881. 

Louisa Dayus's (b.1849) mother was Jane Dayus, washerwoman.
Thomas Morris's (b.1852) parents were John Morris = Elizabeth.

Alice E.'s younger sister (Fanny) Louisa Morris, age 15, b. 1876 Bridgnorth, in 1891, was also a servant living reasonably close by to Didsbury, in Chorlton. 

Both sisters, Alice E. and Louisa Morris b.1876, stayed in the Manchester area but my mother/grandmother couldn't name/never mentioned Alice E.'s sister (Louisa).

Alice E. was my great-grandmother and in 1891 she was a former servant in Didsbury, Manchester, 67 Clyde Road.

As no other member of Alice E.'s family were present in the 1891 household it was difficult to connect her (to herself) on all the other censuses. ;)

Offline Lesleyperry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick MORRIS mmn Dayus b. 1892, Kinver, Stafford
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday 22 June 22 21:07 BST (UK) »

Looking for information on Frederick MORRIS b. 1892, Kinver, Staffordshire area. 
Frederick, 18, 1911, was a greengrocer at 52 High Street, Kinver.
He married Sarah Winsper.
They had at least one child.
Parents: Thomas and Louisa Morris.
Frederick is my great-grandmother's brother.

Many thanks,
Lesley

For family background information also see:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=848710.msg7160094#msg7160094

Offline Lesleyperry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Thursday 23 June 22 17:17 BST (UK) »
Civil Registration Marriage Index - 1916-2005
Name: Frederick Dayus Morris