Author Topic: St Peters Cemetery - general burials query  (Read 790 times)

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
St Peters Cemetery - general burials query
« on: Monday 10 May 21 11:24 BST (UK) »
Is it normal for burial plots be re-used/sold to different groups of people? if so, is this because no one has paid for the upkeep of the plot and it's re-sold to someone else? I have a copy of a certificate of a lair 'purchase' in St Peters in the early 1900s... and as you would expect there are several members of the family listed in the burial archives after that date, whose names I recognise. However, before that date there are several seemingly unrelated people, including a group of children of (presumably) the original purchaser back in the 1850s. I know that the father of these children subsequently died abroad and the mother and remaining children moved away from Aberdeen in 1854. Also, having visited the plot, there is a stone with some names I recognise as being on the burial archives, but also other family members whose names aren't listed at all.
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Peters Cemetery - general burials query
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 May 21 12:20 BST (UK) »
It is not unusual for people whose names appear on a gravestone not to be buried in that lair, but elsewhere in the kirkyard or even in a totally different cemetery. If there is room on the gravestone, their names are added, rather than erecting a second stone elsewhere.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 May 21 14:00 BST (UK) »
Might be better to contact the Aberdeen Council and see if they can help ..I don't think it would have been resold and it sounds as if it's maybe a double lair ..I have family members also in St Peter's some of our gravestones date back to 1860

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 May 21 14:28 BST (UK) »
Lairs can be resold but there are rules and it has to be blessed by Council in order for the transfer to be legal.  Do all council's have this ruling I can not say, or when was this introduced.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 May 21 14:50 BST (UK) »
Yes, thank you, perhaps the council archives dept might be able to advise... there's a few new options that have been suggested to consider. I had always thought the 'deeds' (if that's what they are called!) of a lair would be passed or signed over to another family member... but if the upkeep is allowed to lapse - what happens then? I'll need to look into it more to see if some of those 'unconnected' people are actually connected too.
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 May 21 18:12 BST (UK) »
I have title deeds for my family lair they were first purchased in 1870 my Grandfather was the first burial 1910 then my parents ..My sister got the deeds transferred over to her when my Mother was buried it cost her £50 and each member of the family had to sign a document agreeing with this ..

Rosie