Author Topic: Herron families from Blyth  (Read 816 times)

Offline Kath Heywood Boon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Herron families from Blyth
« on: Monday 10 May 21 15:10 BST (UK) »
I need someone to put me in the right direction to sort this out.  In 1881 I have two cousins living next door to each other in Station Row, Blyth.  One is William Herron aged 30 married to Elizabeth aged 26 with sons William and Richard.  His cousin William Herron aged 30 married to Elizabeth Ann aged 23 with a daughter Elizabeth Jane lives next door.  My problem is I don't know which Elizabeth is married to which William.  I know one of the Elizabeth's maiden name is Crosby, but I don't know who she married, and I just don't know who the other Elizabeth is.  Without having to buy marriage certificates, is there any way I can find out who married who?  I hope this makes sense.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Herron families from Blyth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 May 21 15:13 BST (UK) »
try the GRO website, search for the births of the children and it will give you the mother's maiden name
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

you need to register for a (free) account before you can search

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 May 21 15:36 BST (UK) »
I looked and though the boys' births were straightforward to find (MMN Crosby) , given their age on the census.
 the girl was more difficult as there were two Elizabeth Jane Herron births registered in Tynemouth district (which includes Blyth) in 1880. (MMNs Marshall and Smith)

Looking on Free BMD for marriages for Herron and Marshall prior to 1880 only gives one result Archibald Herron and Ann Marshall in 1873
Marriages for Herron and Smith prior to 1880 shows a likely entry of William Herron and Elizabeth Ann Smith

I'd find the family on the next census and see if there were more children , check their names as a cross reference to be sure which of these girls is the one you are looking for.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 May 21 16:00 BST (UK) »
Morpeth Herald 19 Feb 1876
page 8 col 6
Marriages

At Earsdon Church 17th inst., Mr Wm Heron, coal miner, to Miss Elizabeth Ann Smith, both of Cowpen Quay, Blyth

Boo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo, thanks for all that information.  I have done some further checking and have found the marriage information, but as you say the daughter is very elusive.  I knew about Archibald having a daughter, as it's the same family, but will have to dig further to find out about William's daughter.
Kath

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 13:05 BST (UK) »
As I said, one way to check is to see if by the next census these couples had any further children. Then check the GRO site to find the MMNs, that's a good starting point anyway to find out what you originally asked which was which wife of these Williams was Crosby and who was the other wife.

Boo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo, I have checked the next census and William, Elizabeth and daughter Elizabeth are not on it.  I am now wondering if they emigrated.
Kath

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 17:37 BST (UK) »
This 'may' be relevant?

Morpeth Herald 30 Sept 1882
page 5 col 5

On Monday evening, a miner, named William Herron, aged 30 years, died somewhat suddenly at his residence, West Row, Cowpen Colliery

Boo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 May 21 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo, I knew William Herron died in 1882, but I thought it was a pit accident.  Nice to hear that it wasn't so traumatic, although the family would still be devastated at him dying so young.  I know who his widow married.  She went on to have a further 3 children and one of their sons was a local barber who had a shop at the bottom our the street I was brought up in.
Thanks for that information
Kath