Author Topic: Miranda McGregor  (Read 12000 times)

Offline AncestryOracle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Miranda McGregor
« Reply #72 on: Saturday 01 January 22 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone!

I'm hoping to shed some like on this Miranda fiasco! My husband is Mirandas grandson! Miranda actually lived with him growing up. I think I've spoken to more than one person on this thread either through ancestry or email! It appears Miranda changed her name and birthdate. My mother in law (Mirandas daughter) lives with me and is more than willing to help anyone with any questions they might have about her. She's also just ordered an ancestry DNA test to, hopefully, clear up more questions. It appears Miranda had a lot of secrets and relationships so I don't know if there are other children that we aren't aware of!

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Monday 03 January 22 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, AncestryOracle.

Have you got a birth certificate for Miranda, and who do you think she will be living with when the 1921 census is revealed (or not yet born)?

Offline AncestryOracle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Monday 03 January 22 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, AncestryOracle.

Have you got a birth certificate for Miranda, and who do you think she will be living with when the 1921 census is revealed (or not yet born)?

So the problem with Miranda is that she changed her name to Mary in later years. My mother in law (Miranda/marys daughter) always thought that her name was Mary Diana MacGregor. I have the divorce papers for Mary Elizabeth MacGregor (Also known a Madie Scott ) and John Francis MacGregor. The children listed in the divorce papers are John Pym (sometimes Pim) MacGregor and Mary Diana MacGregor. I also have certified copies of the birth certificates for both John and Mary Diana. They were twins born on the 23rd of November 1922.

My personal belief is that Miranda/Mary was actually born earlier and was perhaps given up by Madie Scott for whatever reason.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Friday 07 January 22 10:23 GMT (UK) »
I did think that I was not going to find a single one of these people on the 1921 census BUT I have got Miranda. 

We had her in Cuckfield in 1931 on the newspaper report, and in 1921 she is in Shipley Sussex with the Adams family - 3 siblings, the men employed on the Knepp Castle estate, who are fostering 2 girls.  The girls are both boarded out from Horsham Union.

Charles (67yrs 9 mths) Edmund (49yrs 11mths) and Emily Adams(54yrs 3mths) were all born in Shipley and are all unmarried.

The other girl Doris Corke (?) is 14yrs 8mths.

Neither foster child has a known place of birth, nor known information on their parents.

Miranda McGregor has her age recorded as 8 years 6 months - so fits with December 1912.

Added:  Just looked on 1911, Doris is with them, and there is another, older, foster girl also.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Friday 07 January 22 10:29 GMT (UK) »
I did think that I was not going to find a single one of these people on the 1921 census BUT I have got Miranda. 

We had her in Cuckfield in 1931 on the newspaper report, and in 1921 she is in Shipley Sussex with the Adams family - 3 siblings, the men employed on the Knepp Castle estate, who are fostering 2 girls.  The girls are both boarded out from Horsham Union.

Charles (67yrs 9 mths) Edmund (49yrs 11mths) and Emily Adams(54yrs 3mths) were all born in Shipley and are all unmarried.

The other girl Doris Corke (?) is 14yrs 8mths.

Neither foster child has a known place of birth, nor known information on their parents.

Miranda McGregor has her age recorded as 8 years 6 months - so fits with December 1912.

Thank you for updating us - I did wonder if that might be her I only hoovered over the record transcript and saw three names (plus 2 others on that record)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Friday 07 January 22 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Ladyhawk,

Did you see anyone else that you considered might be one of them - any McGregor/Dodd/Pimm/Robertson/Scott at all?

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Friday 07 January 22 13:32 GMT (UK) »

Did you see anyone else that you considered might be one of them - any McGregor/Dodd/Pimm/Robertson/Scott at all?

I've not looked  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Friday 07 January 22 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Got the MacGregors.

When I searched for a Mary from Maryboro I didn't get anything, but I think that is because FindMyPast did not transcribe it as it is clearly there as her birthplace and she is with John F McGregor from Glasgow.

So if anyone else is looking, please stop and I will say who is there on the next post.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Friday 07 January 22 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Living in Wyrardisbury, Eton in 1921 on Magna Charta Island (as elsewhere in this thread) are John F MacGregor a stockbroker from Glasgow age 33yrs 4 months.   Mary is 35yrs 9 months from Maryboro, Queens County.  Niece Mary O'Reilly is 17 from Manchester, sister-in-law Annie French(?) is 31 from Manchester.
Sister-in-law Alice McAleery (?) is 33 from Maryboro, married.  Nephew Noel French is 7 from Manchester and his Father is dead.
Also in household James MacGregor, brother, from Glasgow, a visitor and Alistair MacRay another visitor, from Glasgow.
Robert and Louise Richardson, chauffeur and cook/housekeeper.

The house 'only' has 9 rooms, so some people must have been sharing.