Author Topic: Death of Eliza Martha Watterson, nee Martin, 1902, Irwin, Bonneville Co., Idaho  (Read 6489 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Eliza Martha Watterson, nee Martin, 1902, Irwin, Bonneville Co., Idaho
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 10:53 BST (UK) »
Potential red herrings - you may have already checked these, sorry if I missed seeing:

Newspaper notice in 1855

.      I will not be RESPONSIBLE for any D E B T S contracted by my Wife, Miss. JANE M'LAREN or WATERSON, after this date. LEONARD WATERSON. 16 Great Dovehill, Glasgow, 23d March, 1855.     

This chap?

WATERSON
LEONARD
1841 Census
M
644/2 37/ 33
Gorbals
Lanark
born Ireland

with wife, Jean (born Ireland) and sons John, David, James and William (born Scotland)

also, coincidence or otherwise,

a Marriage

WATERSON
LEONARD

BEATTIE
JANE
644/1 254
Glasgow Central District

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Eliza Martha Watterson, nee Martin, 1902, Irwin, Bonneville Co., Idaho
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 11:21 BST (UK) »
So far we believe that Leonard Watterson was married to Eliza Martha Martin and then to Rachel/
Here he is with Rachel on the 1861 census 44 Trongate Glasgow.

Leonard Watterson 50   Head. Born Ireland
Rachel Watterson 30   Wife. Born Ireland.
Lenny Watterson   8   Son Born Glasgow
William Watterson 3   Son Bon Glasgow.

Someone claims Eliza Watterson died in Idaho in 1902 but no records were found to confirm that.
Rachel died 1869. Leonard returned to Ireland and died in 1892

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 13:10 BST (UK) »
Confirmation the marriage date for Hugh and Jane was 18 June 1863 (maybe it was Motherwell - it doesn't say)

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hello, I finally was able to access Scotland's People and yes, strange records are being found. Since Leonard and Rachel are found in 1861 with sons Leonard age 8 and William, age 3, I went in search of the boys. I did not find Leonard but then again he is born before 1855. I did find a William, born Nov 27, 1857 to Leonard Watterson and Jane Beattie - What! Leonard is a lemonade dealer. So I looked for the marriage to Jane and found it July 22, 1856. Leonard is a widower, and a Salesman. Leonard gives his parents as Leonard Watterson and Mary Evans, both deceased. Different Leonard??? Or not??
I did find the death of Rachel in May 1869 in Glasgow, but I don't find Leonard or the boys in 1871 so presume Leonard returned to Ireland. Rachel's parents are given as John Watterson and Mary Sands and when she married, her father was John Watterson. Rachel is age 38 at death which corresponds exactly to my estimated dob of 1831.
Now for that interesting sworn statement of Hugh Martin regarding his marriage to Jane Watterson. I can assure you that the marriage did not take place in 1863. I found the birth of Allen Osborn Martin June 27, 1864 and he is illegimate. So I looked for the next child, Eliza, and I don't find her. Next, Joseph Smith Martin, born Sept 8, 1868. Date of marriage for parents was given as Aug 28, 1865 in Magherafelt, Co. Derry. I looked for the marriage in 1865 and couldn't find it on irishgenealogy. Then when Agnes Jones Martin is born, in 1872, the date of marriage is now given as Aug 28, 1863 in Magherafelt, Co. Tyrone (Magherafelt is in Co. Derry).  I will look for marriage on Groni. Is Allen mentioned as a child in Hugh's statement of marriage?
Another item - I had the wrong date of marriage for John Watterson and Martha Martin, who are given as the parents of Jane Watterson,according to one source.  I had the marriage as 1848 but it was actually 1829 which would make John only 13 if he was born 1816 as per some sources. He was possibly born abt 1806 which corresponds more closely to Martha's dob in 1802. Apparently, the baptisms are missing between 1780 and 1805 at Woods so I don't have John's birth. Jane's baptism is not found belonging to either John Watterson and Martha Martin or to Leonard Watterson and Eliza Martin but if the info on findagrave is any clue, Eliza Martin is given as her mother, along with Leonard N. Martin as father. Why would a Jane Watterson have a father with last name Martin?
Onward!
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 14:33 BST (UK) »
.    but I don't find Leonard or the boys in 1871 

The sons could very well be the two already posted living with older brother John in 1881 see reply #54. John could fit with being the son, John, with a Leonard and Jean in 1851, so possibly half rather than full brother of either or both.

There is a death for a 77yr old Leonard in 1886:

WATERSON
Leonard
age 77

mmn RANKIN

year of death 1886
644/4 876
Calton (Glasgow)

which general location and agewise, seems to fit the chap in the various census records, but mmn Rankin doesn't fit the chap married to Jane Beattie, nor does it fit  the Leonard returning to Ireland and dying there in 1892.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 15:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you scotmum. I was also thinking that the two boys with brother John in 1881 could be the same two as with Leonard and Rachel in 1861. John in 1881 is born Ireland whereas the John on the 1851 census is born Scotland.
I don't find a John born to Leonard and Eliza Martin abt 1835. What a mess. I have been looking for John's marriage to Helen with daughter Mary age 4 in 1881. I don't find marriage or birth of Mary. I thought Mary's birth would give mother's maiden name and parents date of Marriage as they do that in Scotland.
I thought the same with the marriage of Hugh Martin and Jane Watterson but I haven't found the marriage. If in Ireland, it would at least give the father's names.
Thanks again scotmum.
PS. I was thinking that Jane McLaren who left Leonard in 1855 might be the Jean on the 1841 census and the date could correspond with Leonard's remarriage in 1856 to Jane Beattie. Strange that William's father Leonard in 1857 is a lemonade dealer and Rachel's husband Leonard at her death iin 1869 is a lemonade salesman. On the 1861 census, Rachel's husband Leonard is a furniture salesman whereas at their marriage in 1860, it just says salesman. maybe we need to see what happened to Jane Beattie between William's birth in 1857 and Leonard's marriage to Rachel in 1860 to see if any chance same Leonard.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 15:56 BST (UK) »
. . I was thinking that Jane McLaren who left Leonard in 1855 might be the Jean on the 1841 census     

Jane/Jean were and are, interchangeable in Scotland (as is Helen/Ellen etc).

It might be helpful to look at the 1886  Leonard death, particularly the address, occupation and who registered the death.

Wasn't the 1892 chap more likely to have been the one who married a Jane Reid in Cookstown district in 1854?

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 16:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Scotmum for your thoughts. First of all, the Leonard that married Jane Reid died 1909 in Ballymulderg Beg and Jane died Nov 8, 1910.
Secondly, I did purchase the death record of Leonard who died 1886 in Glasgow and it was very interesting +++. He was age 77, a widower, and gives his parents as Leonard Watterson, carpet weaver, and Mary Rankin. If you recall, the one who married Jane Beattie had parents Leonard Watterson, laborer, and Mary Evans.
Anyway, Leonard who died 1886, 64 Stevenson Street, was a carpet weaver and had 3 prev. wives listed - Mary Rae, Rachel Watterson, and Jane Robertson. Yeah, Rachel. Hmmm. Notice this Leonard did not have Jane Beattie listed or Eliza Martin. I don't find a marriage to Jane Robertson or Mary Rae so may have been other than in Scotland. Now one has to wonder if the 1861 census with Leonard and Rachel is NOT  the same Rachel that I found the marriage for in Ireland in 1860. But the Rachel that he married in 1860 is the same one who died in 1869 as her father is the same - John Watterson. And her Leonard was a lemonade salesman. Wait a minute - in 1861, Leonard married to Rachel was a furniture salesman. So different Leonard than the carpet weaver.

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 17:26 BST (UK) »
I  decided to look for the death of Jane Beattie who married Leonard Watterson in 1856, age 24, and mother of William in 1857. I found the death of a Jane Waterston, age 26, drowning, wife of a salesman, Leonard Waterson. So it fits that Leonard's wife Jane nee Beattie dies in 1859 and Leonard remarries in 1860 to Rachel Martin nee Watterson, father John, and then Rachel dies in 1869 of phthisis, father John. In 1861, we have Leonard and Rachel on the census with sons Leonard and William. I didn't find the birth of Leonard and it can't be Jane Beattie if Leonard and Jane married in 1856 when Jane was only 24 - unless illegitimate son Leonard.
We haven't established for sure that the same Leonard married Eliza Martin and then Rachel Martin nee Watterson but looks likely. However, it would seem then that Eliza would have died between 1844 and Leonard's son Leonard's birth abt 1850-1853. The last baptism that I have for Leonard and Eliza was Joseph, Mar 5, 1844. And there is a possible Jane 1844-1846 but I don't have her baptism.
Peggy