Author Topic: Death of Eliza Martha Watterson, nee Martin, 1902, Irwin, Bonneville Co., Idaho  (Read 6467 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Eliza Martha Watterson, nee Martin, 1902, Irwin, Bonneville Co., Idaho
« Reply #144 on: Saturday 29 May 21 19:57 BST (UK) »
I can't bring up that passenger list in Mar 1873 but we know that James Quigley married Esther Love Sept 5, 1873 in Geneva. Who is Sarah Quigley - I don't think it is Benjamin's sister as she was born abt 1863 so was not 19 in 1873.
James' bio says he had one sister. I have found her as Ann Jane born Apr 5, 1865 in Ballymulderg to John Quigley and Elizabeth Booth.
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Eliza Martha Watterson, nee Martin, 1902, Irwin, Bonneville Co., Idaho
« Reply #145 on: Saturday 29 May 21 20:01 BST (UK) »
Just dawned on me...................In the obituary for James Quigley 1928

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/78522787/obituary-for-james-quigley/

it says he is survived by........and one brother Thomas.

Thomas Quigley died 28 January 1926 - Geneva New York - Certificate Number 5594

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Saturday 29 May 21 20:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the passenger list in 1873.
As for James Quigley's obit in 1928, I did comment in Repy # 142
"Back to the 1875 census, maybe the Thomas Quigley living with brother James, is not Margaret's son Thomas. There is a puzzle though. When James dies in 1928, his obit says he has a brother Thomas in Geneva (maybe this is him in 1875), but his bio says he was the oldest of 5 sons and 1 daughter but .... Thomas in 1875 is older than him.
Standby. I am trying to sort it out."

So do we have an obit for Margaret's son Thomas in 1926? Might help sort out the Thomas Quigleys. The other possibility is that Thomas in 1875 is Margaret's son Thomas but James is incorrectly listed as a brother instead of a possible cousin.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Saturday 29 May 21 21:11 BST (UK) »
I have just now found an online tree for John Quigley and Eliza Boothe which looks like it could be accurate. James Samuel is the oldest son and Ann Jane is the youngest child and there are 5 sons, none of them Thomas. So I would now say that the relationship on the 1875 census is inaccurate. But then so would the obit be but the bio would be correct with 5 sons and 1 daughter for John Quigley and Eliza Boothe.
James Samuel Quigley who died in 1928 in Prattsburg had a younger brother Samuel James (according to this tree) born May 9, 1857 who died June 11, 1937 in Geneva.
And guess what - Ann Jane Quigley married John Watterson in 1887 at Salterland Presbyterian Church, his father James Watterson of Carraloan.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
On the 1875 census, we have Benjamin with brother William in one household, and Thomas with brother James with wife Esther in another household. But is he really a brother, as James is 23 and Thomas is 26, and James' obit says he was the oldest of  a family of 5 sons and 1 daughter whereas Margaret's obit says she had 3 sons and 2 daughters surviving her and doesn't mention this James who is still living. Maybe James is really a cousin. I have to study this.
Regarding his wife Esther Love, that brings us full circle to Nancy Jane Watterson, nee Love, that we were researching in Lincoln, Rhode Island, widow of Jonathan Watterson, who died in 1884 in Ireland and Nancy Jane aka Annie emigrated with all her children abt Sept 1890. Nancy and Esther's sister Mary Love married Samuel Henderson and they had a daughter Elizabeth in Dec 1897 after which Mary died, maybe a week later. The fourth sister Sarah Love married Robert Henderson.

To help complete the circle and connect more dots, here is the obit for Thomas's wife Elizabeth. She died in 1914. Elisabeth was the sister of Ester (Love) Quigley and Nancy J (Love) Watterson.

Geneva Daily Times
Monday, January 12, 1914
pg: 9

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

As for James Quigley's obit in 1928, I did comment in Repy # 142
"Back to the 1875 census, maybe the Thomas Quigley living with brother James, is not Margaret's son Thomas. There is a puzzle though. When James dies in 1928, his obit says he has a brother Thomas in Geneva (maybe this is him in 1875), but his bio says he was the oldest of 5 sons and 1 daughter but .... Thomas in 1875 is older than him.
Standby. I am trying to sort it out."

So do we have an obit for Margaret's son Thomas in 1926? Might help sort out the Thomas Quigleys. The other possibility is that Thomas in 1875 is Margaret's son Thomas but James is incorrectly listed as a brother instead of a possible cousin.

Here is Thomas's obit in 1926. Listed surviving siblings are a brother Benjamin F Quigley and a sister Mrs. Charles Coddington of Rochester. He was buried at Washington Street Cemetery, the same cemetery listed for his wife Elizabeth.

Geneva Daily Times
Friday, January 29, 1926
pg: 9

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Wow, RJ137. This is fantastic. You have solved a mystery. On the 1875 census, James Quigley married to Esther Love was actually brother-in-law to Thomas Quigley married to Elizabeth Love. I didn't know about Elizabeth, possibly because she was deceased before Nancy J. Watterson in 1926 so not in Nancy's obit.
Thank you
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Mary Henderson, nee Love, died in Rhode Island Jan 8, 1898. I had previously found her daughter Elizabeth being raised by Nancy J. Watterson and then another daughter Mary, a ward of James Quigley in 1910. Since Mary married in 1884, to Samuel  Henderson,  there are probably more children which I am not aware of. Perhaps her obit would name them.
Peggy