Author Topic: Mount Hamilton House, St Quivox Ayrshire - Photo please  (Read 3716 times)

Offline cmsmck

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mount Hamilton House, St Quivox Ayrshire - Photo please
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 07 September 21 13:13 BST (UK) »
Sorry Patricia, can't get the photograph attached as it is too big. Is there any other way of sending it to you? Really frustrated that I can't put it on the chat.....
Geddes, Reid, Freeland, Trail, Swanson, McKellar, Downie, Wildgoose, Henderson, Gray, Craig, Brown

Offline cmsmck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 07 September 21 13:18 BST (UK) »
"E.J. Ligertwood was Eliza Jane born Kilbarchan 02/11/1861 she died in 1941. Eliza was the second child of Alexander Ligertwood who was Factor for the Castle Semple Estate and occupant .of the house and Margaret Caldwell, they had 11 children, mostly female, they had three sons. Alexander Lewis 1869-1902, Thomas William 1871-1872 and one recorded as Infant son c1882."

I have been having a look at my notes about the Ligertwood family Patricia. The infant son that you mentioned was born and died on the 8th of October 1871. He was 1 and a half hours old, and died from premature birth. Poor wee soul.
Geddes, Reid, Freeland, Trail, Swanson, McKellar, Downie, Wildgoose, Henderson, Gray, Craig, Brown

Offline MacGaffer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 10:40 GMT (UK) »
So interested in this - especially the wedding photo in front of Mount Hamilton.  The bride, Jessie Ann Ligertwood, was my grandmother.  After Dr Valentine died, she remarried John Greaves McMyn. (1895). They had three children - the youngest named Alexander Ligertwood McMyn who was my father, and obviously called after Jessie's own father.  Is it possible to get a better quality download of the wedding photo?

Offline Chris Oswald

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 18 December 22 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am a descendant of the Oswalds that owned Auchincruive until the early 1920s. My daughter and I have just started going through a lot of Auchincruive correspondence which is how I found this site. There are letters from Alex Ligertwood, the factor to Auchincruive, to Alexander Oswald concerning rent and plans for the estate etc. Some are written from Mount Hamilton House. I searched the internet for Mount Hamilton and found this site. It will be a long job to work through all the papers, especially to decipher some of the handwriting, but we aim to do it over the next few years. I will certainly post anything of interest that we discover.
Does anyone know why the Ligertwoods left Mount Hamilton in 1908 and, presumably, stopped being the factor at Auchincruive?
Also, the name intrigues me because Hamilton is one of the families the Oswalds married into. Does anyone know why the house was so called?